It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Taser Drowned Dad's Distraught Son

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Woah, capslock is jammed, get that checked.

I hate to admit it, but I actually agree with rcwj75 on this matter... it's not often I agree with him.

The cops did what was necessary to ensure the sons didn't kill themselves as well. Their job is to protect life... and they did just that.

There are however two issues I can see.

1. That a populated coastal area didn't have the equipment necessary to get a boat out immediately.
2. That the police didn't restrict themselves to physical restraint of the sons. These tasers are becoming somewhat of a crutch... if the police become too complacent in their use, will they remember what to do when they no longer have their tasers to make take-downs easier?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Gutless pigs afraid to make a try at saving a man drowning...and then stop the mans sons from doing their duty. If that was me there would be no place on earth those pigs could hide from my form of justice. I can understand if there was no chance at all...but those boys may have well been strong swimmers and at least been able to give dad a chance.

Then, rather than placing the boys in a safe place they tazer one and abuse both!! Today PIGS are cowards..they never want to place their little delicate hands on anyone unless the person is totally submitted and helpless. Every day we see cop shows that show pigs forcing citizens to lay face down on hot streets so they will not have to touch them. Then we see all the time: Cops throwing people down the the ground with force and jumping on their necks with their fat pig knees..in the old days a cop would walk up and turn someone around and cuff them..all alone and without resorting to demeaning and harmful submissions.

These cops today are egotistical bullies that want to take NO chances at all...one on TV the other day actually said ' To hell with John Q. if it means me getting shot". Typical. Now a pig waits for backup and dogs and armor just to make a trafic stop...and then most all pigs abuse the law and ask for consent...sickening.

NEVER cooperate with a pig. NEVER give consent..ever. Anyone that has so little guts that they cannot stand up to a pig deserves the abuse and lies that cops spew all day. Cops lie, take advantage of people, search illegally, use too much force, and generally do not care about anyone but themselves unless on the spot.

record all stops and all cops whenever you can...let them know we are watching and will ream them if they slip up. The cops need to be kept on a short leash and we hav allowed them FAR to much power...it needs to stop now.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The surf looked pretty rough in the video.

I am an accomplished open water swimmer. It would be difficult to swim in that surf even for a strong swimmer. You also need to realize that the water in that area is very cold.

I think that if untrained people entered the water, it would have lead to more deaths.

It is very easy to criticize the police for not trying to save the man that was swept out but once again, unless those officers were specifically trained in ocean rescue, they should not have entered the water.

The sons were understandably upset at the circumstances and I think that there should be a review of the actions of the police in this situation.

However, I can't side with the posts that slam the police and call them names. If we didn't have the cops, who would we call in an emergency? I also think that the police saved the lives of the two emotionally distraught sons by preventing them from entering the ocean.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Wildbob, who should you call in an emergency well obviously not the coward cops thats for sure. The report stated that the police turned up with a rescue team so what where they doing, having tea and biscuits while the man drowned and then the yellow bellied cops taser their sons. Its a dam shame those boys wern't armed because the cops deserved to be shot where they stood.

The Police of American today have morphed into a group of thugs who like nothing better to beat on the innocent as witnessed on a daily basis in the US. To demeane and humiliate anyone who does not kow tow to their demands. the fact that these events are now happening so frequently indicates that this is being done by orders from above and it is no longer a case of the one bad cop.

No today its of a case of can you find the good cop and he is a rare animal indeed. Now they treat everyone as criminals, and they have been allowed to literally get away with murder, so much for the great democracy, make way for the United States of Fascist America.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I see a wrongful death lawsuit and police brutality lawsuit on the horizon in this case.

And what took the coast guard/lifeguards so long to get on location? Obviously the cops were there, where were the rescue teams at...eating the leftover doughnuts the cops left at the coffee shop????

Pfft.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 5-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The reports I saw on the news said that the man was washed off the cliff by high waves and the kid were pushing to cops toward the edge which may have meant death of both. They tazered him to get him to calm down to keep from risking both their lives. It would be stupid to jump in that rough water. The cops were not wrong in this case.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Another thread in which both sides are right and everyone takes sides.

One day maybe Everyone will see the truth and realize that's how they keep us divided.

The Cops are people, constrained for Fear of their lives... They Can be sued, loose their lively hoods etc, etc... Over a situation where they Should Not be Held LIABLE then given the means to control the situation because they are LIABLE

But the Cause isn't the cops, it's those above that allow these rules to divide us...

same litigating SCUM who made divorce profitable, babies un profitable, the workplace a robotic nightmare to be in and the schools prisons

For the Record the Person one person got this 90% right

DON'T Call the Cops... or DO but do it After you have taken action IF needed to cover your arse in regards to the fact that NOT calling at all could be construed as a crime.

#1 They should have jumped right in the water to have the best chance... They Effed Up!!! Water is cold, best time to jump in would be IMMEADIATELY, shortest distance to rescue, Father would have had the most Energy prior to hypothermia to not be dead weight

They chose to wait/get help

#2 Cops should NOT be Liable for peoples actions

I would also Add

That water was not so awful, cold would be the worst thing

I can only guess, but I assume the Father Fell off those cliffs and that they ran down to the Beach in an attempt get him/ get help

So they are in a way, guilty of self preservation and lacking critical thinking

If Dad was washing South/West from those cliffs to the Beach... They needed to, if they wanted to save dad... Not run to the beach, but rather run West further out along the cliffs and jump in at any loc, or climb down, further out than dad and intercept him by swimming into the Beach from a vantage point of being further out, away from rocks where water was deeper and they could jump in... not in along the beach (the safer route down to the water while dad was washed further out to see)

Probably stood a good chance, if one brother stayed on the rocks, to be able to see both of intercepting dad while swing into shore with enough time to not get Hypothermia and cramp up...

Cops were correct, from beach and length of time Dad must have been in water... time factor, swimming Out as Dad was receding and already further out, from Beach and returning with dead weight dad would have been next to impossible and they would have died.

If they immediately went in from a greater distance to sea, perhaps only dragged dad onto rocks albeit... getting some bruises, they could have pulled off a rescue

(easier to see that from afar...I know)

But what the sons did... was PANIC, seek help, waste time...

Sadly from what I see, given calm critical thinking they could have maybe saved Dad...

1/4 to a Half Mile swim from shore and back given 5-10 minutes of Dad in water minimum, they would have died too.... Cops were correct to not let them in. AND couldn't have stopped them if they didn't waste time.

Hypothermia sets in fast, particularly if your not good with cold...

I feel, I could pull that off at those temps, this time of year in that water IF, I moved instantly...

That however would take Balls

The kind of Balls where yo... Jump off a Cliff, and do so while scanning the water, looking for the right spot and do it Fast... and convey and communicate the plan effectively in under 30 seconds...

Not the kind of Balls where, you Scream at and take your rage out on a Cop 15 minutes later because in the end... you Failed to Act like a Man in a Crisis situation

This is very much the

"Hold Me Back"

Scenario many men engage in when they don't wish to fight

Some guys here know what I mean

If your going to hit a Guy, you keep your mouth shut and DO IT

You don't make allot of noise and draw attention to your self

10-1 odds say... If the cops let them go they waded out 10 feet, maybe swam a few feet and came back Crying saying "I can't do it"

Because if they had the Balls and the Will and weren't AFRAID, they would have gone in from the cliff after Dad

and I Surfed for years, first growing up in NY, LI/Jersey Shore, then for a few years in California Later on...

I've been in the Ocean in NY during tropical storms, with the Polar Bear club in Winter and in.... this exact climate and environment in Cali in far choppier Water

The reality... they could have done something, and were afraid to get in the water...

Guy takes his clothes off after cops arrive and makes a scene...

Reality check: he was helpless, didn't know what to do and paralyzed with fear and blamed the cops

I think, if I was up on that Cliff, my pop would be alive... because i'm a nerd Not a tough guy and somewhere in my life: Big Loud jerky Guys picked on me enough to create a complex by which, I constantly test my manhood lol... Martial Arts, Rappelling, Caves, Surfing, Skiing, I actually... Go out and do allot of crazy things and know what to do... (not bragging as I say I have a complex lol)

But a Complex from... Dudes like this, that are big jerk offs...

I'm sorry, huge anti police state guy, but those kids dropped the ball and made a huge scene when they did in actuality nothing...

"Hold me back" "hold me back"

Crap or get off the pot Buddy

If you were getting in the water, you'd have gotten in the water long before cops arrived

Cops aren't pressing charges, they didn't beat your arse either and DID save their lives (IF they went in at that TOO LATE moment) But they were NOT going after Dad... they were too scared

But THEY DROPPED THE BALL

And They need to Live with that

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
so much for the great democracy, make way for the United States of Fascist America.

Well thanks to this "Fascist America" you have the freedom to pack your stuff and head on out. If its that bad, then take a hike...oh wait thats right...you just like the other will *Snip* and moan about how you hate your country, hate those who work for it blah blah blah...but never will you leave it...why because OTHERS fight and fought for your ability/right *Snip*!

And if the mods wanna take ats points for that comment go ahead..just make sure you also address the comments made about killing cops and killing rescue workers in this thread.

Mod Edit: Do Not Use Profanity.

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
Terms and Conditions

[edit on 5-12-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
One of those rare things I actually KNOW about.

I was in the boat once where one of the people had jumped in and drowned. The boyfriend of the drowning victim was diving under the water again and again to try to find her, but at least 10 or 15 minutes were gone and we all knew there was no way to help her, but he was in shock and though we managed to get him back in the boat, he kept trying to jump back in, we had to all tackle him to keep him in the boat, and it took all our strength as he was acting on adrenalin. I am positive if he had gone in once more he too would have drowned; it was late at night and there had been a lot of drinking.

Those cops knew it was suicide for anyone to go into that water. They have to make tough decisions.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Yea i can see the point from both sides of the story, but if i was in there shoes regardless of someone in a uniform thinkin he can tell me i cant at least try rescue my father, i would of punched the cop in the face and jumped my ass in the water before his mate could taser me. Stupid yes but i wouldnt be able to live with myself if i didnt at least try

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skinon
Yea i can see the point from both sides of the story, but if i was in there shoes regardless of someone in a uniform thinkin he can tell me i cant at least try rescue my father, i would of punched the cop in the face and jumped my ass in the water before his mate could taser me. Stupid yes but i wouldnt be able to live with myself if i didnt at least try

That's easy for you to say. My opinion, is that the sons are grateful the cops stopped them. At least the sons tried to save him, so they have nothing to be ashamed of. The cops did their duty. I'd like to see what the report would be like if they had stood by and let two young men drown, in addition to the dad. sheesh

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Both sides are correct.. and Both sides wrong... The police had a duty to stop them from going in.. but at the same time it was there father... They also has the right to go in..Is this a crime?? no.. the cops should have warned them and let them go in...The tasering was way out of line.. especially for this situation.. I am sure a nice wrongful death will get slapped on the dept

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Lets turn everyone against local police, all of them, even those who practice and uphold the law. That way when everything goes down the pooper and law enforcement is asked to intervene military martial law will be accepted wholeheartedly!!

How would you feel if the headline read:

Father and two signs die in apparent drowning rescue attempt.

Just a few thoughts....

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
the only thing i have an issue with is the tasering

the thing is that once you give someone ( a LEO) one of these things as an option to use, He will use it more and more because it usually puts the officer in a position where he will have less need to physical defend himself from pain/fighting in a situation where he believes something needs to be done.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It is very easy for people to sit here and say they would have jumped in to save this person...but if you were actually there?

A different matter all together... videos can never show you what the weather was actually like, they can't show you how cold the water is, how much effort it will take, and even how far it really is...distance can become hard to judge in videos.

The cops did the right thing, and perhaps tasers were needed, when you are high on adrenaline it takes a lot to stop you...I remember a news story here a year or two ago where a woman, by herself, lifted a two tonne car off of a child. She was just an ordinary person who coul;d never normally do that, adrenaline gives you huge reserves of strength.

Now yes, it must have been terrible for the two people to see their dad and not get to him, but in the end when they think about it they will surely realise what would have happened had they gone out there.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I agree with you in saying this is a tough call, but if my dad were in that water, dont taze me, give me a life preserver, and let me jump in...its my choice. I dont know the whole story obviously...but the boys should not expect an officer to jump into dangerous water, but should have been allowed to themselves... in my opinion.
sad stuff

[edit on 5-12-2008 by AKARonco]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Such a sad and heart breaking situation. I believe we are all rushing to judgement here. I'm sure the circumstances are not as black and white as they seem. There is a lot of gray that needs to be carefully examined.

It is the responsibility of the police/coastguard or whomever is in authority to protect life at all cost. Yes there have been egregious abuses perpetrated by those in power before, but that does not mean all in authority are bad. We need to wait and see.

As far as the boys are concerned, I'm sure they were going absolutely crazy having to sit back helplessly. Their adrenaline pumping full steam made them a force to be reckoned with and had the police not used extreme measures they most likely would be dealing with 3 dead family members.And how much more horrific for their mother. Again we need to wait until the smoke clears to look at this as objectively as possible.

I will say this though, if my child had fallen in, they would have had to taser me also!!

That family will be in my prayers.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by paxnatus]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Words don't even express - how absolutely DISGUSTING that is!
The fact the police had no compassion for the kids is outrageous.

To brutalize children due to their being distraught and taser them - I am at a loss for words.

I hope those police are fired!

I have to say - things seem to be changing VERY FAST in the United States of Policehood.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I just see a lot of faceless cop bashing posters who are trying there damnedest to act tough. I bet none of you would even jump in the water, you would just drone on about how the 'pigs' need to do something even if they lack the means.

I love the cop hate here. I mean, lets just label everyone as you do cops. You hypocrites.

ATS breeds a real ugly side of unfounded hate lately, and I hope it stops before it becomes an internet laughingstock.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

Just do what I did and IGNORE *snip*!!!!! This is another rediculous act preformed by a bunch of guys who'd rather deal with doing nothing then doing their job. Where the hell do they find these people? Geez absolutley ludicris to think any other way on this one, even if your a wannabe marine *cough* *snip*...

====
Mod Edit: No personal sniping, please.

[edit on 12/5/2008 by Badge01]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join