It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 10 days Left-Until Predicted Huge Earthquakes

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This thread started out quite interesting with all the information the OP gathered and posted.

BUT it turned out to be flamewars was personal attacks between all of you.

IMO the mods should have handled this better and locked it. I am disappointed and this BS attacks & bickering.

One poster said "No Harm, No Foul"

Easy as that. Geez *sigh*

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well bskivss3 this happens alot here when someone makes or posts a prediction that is more-or-less date-specific. Because these 'predictions' are low-pobablility events, lots of people pile-on taking the high-probability position of, 'BS, it won't happen', because the likelihood is it won't. And then they can feel smug and smart and do the I-told-you-so-dance. What can you do? It's human nature.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think a lot of the personal sniping in this thread is because some people can't differentiate between someone posting a thread here of their own predictions and someone posting a thread here of someone or something else's predictions. The OP didn't come up with the prediction herself(himself?) it came from the webbot, but some are too busy jumping on the "Never going to happen" wagon to realize that.

With that said, I hope the webbot is wrong. But if there is an earthquake, or two, in the next few days hopefully people are more prepared for it than they would have been had they not heard about the webbot's prediction. Nothing wrong with being prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think the OP made some good points. Everyone should come into a prediction thread with an open mind. We all know how these threads turn out. People get mad at each other, start fighting, ect. ect. We should all know that its just an idea of something that COULD happen. There could be an earthquake any time, any where. The OP was just relaying something that was predicted by a computer. I don't think that she deserves to be picked apart over it. Most of us are adults here, we should know when we come into a thread about predictions that it may not occur. But, on the same note, its not impossible for these things to happen. I mean, this is ATS and the members have tolerated WAYYY worse then an earthquake prediction
Lets just be satisfied with the fact that no one was hurt and nothing bad happened.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists

If you look for the following article using Google you will find out that the Web Bot people did predict the area around New Madrid, Missouri to be struck.

Web-Bot Project Says Giant Quake by Dec 15 -- Avoid New Madrid Fault
Posted December 2nd, 2008 by Agesilaus

As you can see from the above article if you search for it using Google that it is true they did forecast one to stike in the area of New Madrid.

Google searching the above, I find this link, which does indeed say New Madrid is a likely location for one of the predicted quakes. Funny thing is, the article links to this very thread!

Following last week's flurry of small tremors in southeastern Missouri and central Arkansas, the Web-Bot Project of internet-based predictive linguistics shifted attention to the Midwest's New Madrid fault line as likely locale for next big quake. Our timeline is approaching a seismic event of sufficient magnitude to cast its linguistic shadow fully 18 months into the past. If you're not familiar with the Web-Bot Project, which is credited with correctly predicting the Bande Ache tsunami and the 9-11 event, this link provides an introduction. It also will link you to a Nov 20 FEMA report focusing on the New Madrid fault.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go to halfpasthuman.com to learn more about Web-Bot Project. (They are actually predicting 2 quakes around Dec 10 - 15.)

So basically, the evidence given by RussianScientists ends up being that people on this thread have been talking about New Madrid. Wow, great work, comrade! Seriously, is RussianScientists a group of people? Gosh, I don't want to make personal attacks, but this poster does not represent actual Russian scientists very well. I cannot believe they were ever a geologist. Nor would I be inclined to believe their earthquake detector exists outside of their imagination.

Oh, and I should probably apologize for a pointless post. Sorry!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Excellent Point!

And by living in a earthquake zone here on the Westcoast of Canada I have no problem of one of our fellow ATS'ers putting there thoughts or finds here. keeps me aware of all possibilties.

Just hope it doesnt happen as we are entering our first heavy storm of the year today
reply to post by KaginD

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
www.etaiwannews.com...

This is a very interesting about EQ's and how we have had cycles of large ones, called a "supercycle" of release the pressure of the Earth. This is all based on a "supercycle in South Asia.

An international survey of the coral reefs off Indonesia indicates that a series of huge earthquakes are likely to hit South Asia in the coming decades, packing destructive power similar to the magnitude 9.3 quake that triggered a devastating tsunami in Southeast Asia in Dec. 2004.
According to an article published in the latest issue of the weekly journal Science, a research team composed of scientists from Indonesia, Taiwan, and the United States studied seismic patterns over the past 700 years and hypothesized the existence of an "earthquake supercycle" every 200 years.

During the supercycle, a magnitude-8 quake would mark the beginning of a new cycle, one or more magnitude-8 quakes would follow, and a super quake of about magnitude 9 would end the cycle by consuming much of the tectonic energy accumulated over the past two centuries.

The magnitude-8.4 temblor of September 2007, they reported, is the "opening salvo" in the 30-year period of each supercycle of quakes in the region when seismic activity peaks.

The researchers suggested that a quake with a magnitude of between 7 to 8 will occur every six to 13 years, and a super quake of magnitude 9 will hit South Asia in about 30 years.

The study -- conducted by scientists from Indonesia, Taiwan, and the United States -- derived their conclusions from an analysis of dead corals off Sumatra's Mentawai Islands to get a better idea of how corals are affected by earthquakes, especially those of magnitude 7 or above.

The scientists explained that huge earthquakes in the past would lift the reefs by one meter or more above the sea's surface and cause the massive die-off of coral reefs.

These dead corals left behind, much to the team's surprise, mineral structures that explicitly recorded the time and scale of almost every large earthquake in the area over the past 700 years.

"Each incident triggered widespread coral deaths, but the long- lasting mineral structures built by the colonies enable scientists to estimate the dates of the massive quakes that caused those upheavals," said Aron J. Meltzner, a participant from the California Institute of Technology.

The earthquakes "recorded" in coral structures occurred in 1374, 1596, 1675, 1797, 1833 and 2007.

In the "coral records of earthquakes," the scientists discerned a pattern for the earthquakes in the region, namely the supercycle theory. They used the theory and the temblor of September 2007 to reach the conclusion that a new supercycle has already begun.

The Dec. 2004 earthquake was not considered in the study because its epicenter was located 150 kilometers northwest of the northern tip of Sumatra Island and had probably consumed much of the tectonic energy in its area.

The study's area of investigation was much farther south off the Sumatra coast and part of a different tectonic system, according to Shen Chuan-chou, a project member from National Taiwan University.

A separate study reported in the Dec. 4 Nature also suggested that the region's 2007 quake released only one-quarter of the energy that had accumulated since 1833, so the quakes in the region in the coming decades may be even larger than expected.

"If the supercycle theory proves true, the South Asian countries should stay alert for possible huge earthquakes and step up their efforts to establish the earthquake/tsunami early warning network, " Shen said.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Unfortunately the skeptics come in and try to start flame wars and make themselves feel good. They act like we are saying the event will happen so they start attacking people for it. No one has ever said this event was going to happen, but to keep an open mind and watch.

The OP has done a great job gathering information and putting out warnings that something COULD happen. He did a great job and deserves high praise for his work whether it happens or not.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
OK, I was finally able to get a hold of the earthquake scientist Jim Berkland, the scientist that was able to accurately predict the 1994 Northridge, California earthquake before it happened. I asked him about this issue and everything being said about it.

I was told the following (and PLEASE note that I am NOT trying to make a prediction, nor scare anyone, I'm just stating what he said):

"Based on the nature of the supermoon phase of the period in and around December 12th, 2008, and the relationship of the heavenly bodies' gravitational pull towards the mainly affected fault zones on the Earth, I am able to estimate that there is an 85% probability that a magnitude 8 plus megaquake or a series of magnitude 8 plus megaquakes will strike in the New Madrid fault zone like happened previously in the years 1811-1812. This means that within a period of time from December 12th to roughly 2-3 weeks after that there is an 85% chance that a megaquake or a series of megaquakes will hit in the Arkansas/Missouri New Madrid fault zone area."

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Interesting. Did he say something about the San Andreas area?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
two days...zero to report..surprise surprise...the millionth prediction made using the brilliant method of gobbeldy gook seems to be wrong..shock horror,three days to go...

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
questioningall

despite your bots have a couple more days before their predictions can officially be called as bunks. how are you feeling at the moment?

are you still reasonably certain that there is something to the web-bot predictions?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Hmm... Well here's hoping he's wrong. Thank you for posting that, I just hope that there aren't any massive earthquakes any time soon and that both he and the webbot are wrong.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think it happen this evening tonight / tomorow morning.
Something about tennissee also.. Got some real strange feelings.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I trust a Scientist more than a web bot. This definitely has me more concerned than I originally was.

Thanks for the post Red Cloak.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Mikey2448]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
Interesting. Did he say something about the San Andreas area?

Yes, he said that the second most likely area that could be hit because of stresses caused by the supermoon would be Southern California area.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey2448

The earth is slightly closer to the sun during the winter months. This combined with the moon being closer to the earth than any time this year means that the tidal forces acting on the crust are at a maximum. This makes a large earthquake more likely at this time.

The webbot seems to me to be like a computer version of Tarot cards. It depends on a computer to gather expressions in some way instead of archetypal images arranged in a random order. Like the cards an operator must pick up on intuition/thought implants/suggestions as to what is may mean.
It will be overall no better or worse than any other psycho(did i mean psychic?) predictions therefore its true overall accuracy will turn out to be low.

Just because it didn't happen on the 10th doesn't mean it won't. Like the scientist said, anytime in the next 3 weeks taking into account the earthquake swarms and other signs, there is a higher than normal probability for a major earthquake.

I hope this doesn't happen, but when it comes to the earth, Shift Happens...If not sooner, then later. Actually, the longer the wait, the stronger the quake will be, so now may be better than later.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
questioningall

despite your bots have a couple more days before their predictions can officially be called as bunks. how are you feeling at the moment?

are you still reasonably certain that there is something to the web-bot predictions?

Hey, I have been very hopeful that these days will pass without an EQ.
I have been praying and just hopeful.

But I have to admit, I am getting a little more nervous now with the Supermoon coming into affect.

I have been concerned, due to my daughter has had really bad headaches that have come on all of a sudden and at the same time I will get a really bad headache and ear aches right now.

I am hopeing that it is just a concidence that hers come on at the same time as mine, and that we are just getting a cold or something.

I have prepared - and I have everything as much as possible ready.

But yeah, I am nervous but I am THRILLED we are in the third day and no problems anywhere in the world.

I do not want the webbot nor anyone else to be correct!

I really hope others have prepared for the "just in case" also. Better prepared and nothing happens, then not prepared at all and something does.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
There is a lunar perigee every month. Had the moon's gravity had any effect, we should be feeling it right about now and every month for that matter.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

you didn't answer me questioningall.

i asked ... "how are you feeling at the moment"?

and

"and are you still relatively certain that two big quakes are going to hit"?

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join