It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the moon tonight?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Levita

I've seen the Harvest moon. It's orange and looks like a giant orange. I think that's why they said the moon was made of cheese.

I heard a phrase "once in a blue moon", but I don't think that helps.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

I'm awake all night and haven't seen it in more than a few nights.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
So, it's called the harvest moon? what about "blood moon"; i still want to know WHY they occur. I MUST KNOW! Or i will go hijack Zim's ship, bring the moon to MacMeatie's, bake it with pizza ingredients and eat the moon!

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Levita

Blood moon is both another name for a harvest moon and also an alternate name for a lunar eclipse; so says Wiki. I don't know what you call it if the moon is actually red; blood moon is cool and would make sense.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaFreaky

(oh, NOW the reply-to button's working!)
Anyway, do you suppose there's any sort of occurance where the moon actually could appear blue?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Levita

I hope so. Blue's my favorite color.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaFreaky

I did more searching. Turns out, in very rare occasions, "dust" particles in the sky were supposed to have caused a visibly blue moon. How does that work out, though? Dust isn't generally blue, itself. Just thinkin~

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I don't know, if it's another color, it's dark enough that I don't see it.

My dad looked for it too. I e-mailed some other people around the area. Maybe they will go have a look.

The moon isn't that hard to miss. It's normally the biggest thing in the night sky. Unless it's sitting off to the side somewhere?

Troy

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I just got a message from a friend, not too far away, that said there was a sliver of a moon, last night I believe. Maybe there just isn't much to be seen? I just can't seem to locate it.

We'll give it a few nights and see what happens. I was just looking around the other night and noted that I didn't see a moon. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to astrological things.

Troy

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
This isn't about the moon being behind clouds.

Who said anything about it being behind clouds? My picture was of the Moon eclipsing the Sun.

Originally posted by cybertroy
I just got a message from a friend, not too far away, that said there was a sliver of a moon, last night I believe. Maybe there just isn't much to be seen? I just can't seem to locate it.

I'd already told you that that was the case
Look to the west just after sunset and if clear you'll see the new Moon.

Over the next 2 weeks the Moon will steadily get larger until it rises as a full Moon in the east around sunset. After which, it will rise later each night, waning as it does, with just a thiun sliver of Moon rising just before sunrise in 4 weeks time. For a couple of days it'll be too close to the sun to be seen at all. And then the cycle is repeated. As he had done for 4,000 million years.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Who said anything about it being behind clouds? My picture was of the Moon eclipsing the Sun.

Friend of mine works at "Area 95" at Baikonur Cosmodrome

he caught this through grape leaves...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm just not accustomed to the idea of the moon not being visible. Dad mentioned something about this, Dark moon or something. So, I guess this is normal stuff. I'm not an expert on Astronomy.

I'll go have a peek soon.

Troy

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

i havent seen the moon lately either, i always see it at night, and if not at night i notice it the next day, at least in some point in the day.

although im sure it hasnt disappeared

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Finally, I saw a bright crescent tonight. Dad called it "dark of the moon." He said you can't see it in that time.

Troy

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Interesting picture.

My barn has holes in the stonework on the wall that faces east.

Amazing to see perfectly round shaped sunlight climbing down the interior wall that comes through a square(ish) shaped hole.

Beautiful sight, one for each of the six holes.

Also...I once saw the sunspots on old "sol" one evening. Very hazy atmosphere and the sun was just at the horizon.

And I'm not blind!

[edit on 9/8/2008 by nerbot]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join