It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no effort in ATSN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
why dont people put any effort in the news area of ATS
not saying its all topics,

this isnt a moan at the people, and im hoping its not not seen as one.

this isnt nit picking, but its the first topic that was at hand.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I kind of think that perhaps the thread author was a bit excited to get this thread here....but you are correct. There actually is no commentary at all.
I will u2u and request that to be edited in.

As for, the general reality of the forum...it is an ongoing problem that people tend to not want to place much effort into the commentary portion of the submission.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I believe there SHOULD be more effort..

I also agree with Memory.. that people race to post (for points.. flags.. I don't know why..) and just post the article.

However, I think once you realize that you posted the article first, you should edit and add a better deal of your own personal impute..

It's one of the major reasons I don't author very many threads .. I find the competition asinine ..

As to ATS as a whole....

No one reads the long posts. I still post them though!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

i would like to see topics that have people put effort into them stays open
while the ones that have no effort being closed insted.

that way it wont really be a race

[edit on 11-7-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think we should stop pretending the stuff on there is actually "news" and stop calling it a News Network.
There is no editorial control over the types of news sources allowed and not allowed. Blog posts as news are my biggest pet peeve. Most of the time the blogger in question hasn't even the slightest glimmer what the concept of Journalistic Integrity even means and lots of times, a lot of the "news" is traceable back to some anonymous forum post somewhere.
Whats even worse is when Reuters picks it up..... the internet is a scourge on modern journalism in as many respects as it is a liberator. I see no way to fix this other then to stop pretending and just deal with it. Citizen "Journalism" has turned into one big failure because one bad apple ruins the whole bunch and there are a lot of bad apples out there this election season.....

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I agree
sardion .. it's one of my biggest pet peeves as well..

There is one infamous member on ATS who posts several of these threads a day ..

But if they get a conversation going.. S'pose I can live with it.

I don't think it should be called "news" though..

I think ATS still needs a few new forums.. for one, I would love to see an economics only forum .. maybe a Blog forum to post political blogs.. or hell, maybe we could just create political blogs of our own! Nah, that idea is apparently dead or being worked on..

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If a person is a news junkie and focusses too much on a particular part of the news, then it's easy to become excited by something that may seem trivial to others.

I speak from a news junkies point of view.

There's also been a dirth of imaginitive news stories.

Even I haven't found much to bitch about in the last few weeks

The news forum is my favourite, and I thoroughly enjoy it - but I understand peoples frustration.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Sardion2000 -

Perhaps we should agree that only a few people should report the news and accept that what they say is holy writ?

I hear you on some inadequacies of the bringing the news online and propagated by the masses, but the whole point is to talk about it.

Consider that ten years ago, many people couldn't even get news on the internet and as a result, they had to accept the force feeding that was communicated via television, newspaper, etc.

Now we can discuss it and even present the news for others who may not have had access to a site.

As for the 'blog' news sources...some of those are gold. The mainstream media isn't reporting the declassified Pentagon documents, not that many people are aware of Bush's little Telecom immunity crap and I would be surprised if the average American was aware that Bush has been found guilty by a California District Judge regarding past wiretapping...he is now a felon in the eyes of the law.

All verifiable and trustworthy assertions that CNN isn't reporting.

Perhaps you should endeavour to be the change that you seek?

Author a few threads and post a few polite requests in an under commented submission for more of an analysis.

Because the whole point of Breaking Alternative News is to discuss the news that isn't being reported by the mainstream...(and some that are...
)

Seriously...it's more productive to actually go in there and become an example for what you would like to see. Moderation is a difficult thing and an under commented submission may reach two and a half pages before myself or another Mod wakes up in the morning.

Sorry for the Rant...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
But because Blogs are not ... news .. they are opinion pieces .. no .. they should NOT be called news.

It's about as much news as what I am typing write now...

Hold on..

I think this justifies that I can now make Breaking News threads based on ATS member's posts? .. Yes, I believe it to be the same thing.

THere is alternative news. Yes. Then there is the 15 year olds blog that is nothing more then an uneducated political rant.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Some of the Blog sources actually have valid news sources as citations....

It may do some well to look at what they are reading and not just disgard a reference because it doesn't look like it's from Fox.

Blogs are essentially what we have going on here....an interactive blog. We discuss the news. Many 'blog' sources I have encountered actually do post the 'relevant' source and commentary in an effort to stimulate discussion.

ATS is just a much bigger and inclusive blog site...

Edit to Add:

Though I agree with that the blog source should not be used...but rather their posted source. And if there isn't one....than by the wayside it should go...

[edit on 11-7-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I can understand your plight, I do get frustrated at this. But here's my side of the issue. It is very hard to get a news article submitted into ATSNN before someone else does. The second a story breaks it seems that someone already has the article on the site.

I mean this is good for those of us that read the article. I usually know the news from around the globe before it hits the news networks thanks to the diligent efforts of the people that submit these stories to ATSNN. But I agree that some thought ought to go into the commentary on what the poster feels is their angle on the story.

I have done this myself and what I have done is gone back and edited my post so that I have something more substantial to say instead of a one liner.

new topics

top topics

join