It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 183
<< 180  181  182    184  185  186 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I am becoming increasingly concerned. How have you been feeling? I still have this feeling that we are in for a really big one in this region.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hi everyone. Thought I should report in as it's been a while. Been dragging myself around for a few days now and haven't even done much "modding" here on ATS. Not "sick", just feeling very tired, no matter how much sleep I get. No specific indications of a viral infection ( as I have no other symptoms). Just letting you know.

Some posts I'd like to comment on, in no special order.

First, thanks to everyone who's been posting. Good to have your thoughts, observations and feelings recorded here.

@ Mama re your mention of Costa Rica. They had a decent-sized quake back on Sept 5 last year. Variously reported between mag 7.5 and 7.9. So around a 7.6 to 7.7 sounds about on the money. (USGS finally settled on a mag 7.6, though their first reports before seismologists' review had it as a 7.9.)

But give or take a fraction of a magnitude, this was still a very strong quake indeed. It was located slightly east of the subduction zone that runs just off the coast.

Being that there is that subduction zone, and there hasn't been a "great" quake (M 8+) in the region for a good while, then a larger event is indeed possible...

Hold the phone, browser shaking...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
There's just been a mag 6.9:

M6.9 - 61km SE of Obihiro, Japan 2013-02-02 14:17:33 UTC

Event Time

2013-02-02 14:17:33 UTC
2013-02-02 23:17:33 UTC+09:00 at epicenter
2013-02-02 15:17:33 UTC+01:00 system time

42.467°N 143.650°E depth=125.8km (78.2mi)
Nearby Cities

61km (38mi) SE of Obihiro, Japan
68km (42mi) SSE of Otofuke, Japan
81km (50mi) SW of Kushiro, Japan
106km (66mi) E of Shizunai, Japan
826km (513mi) NNE of Tokyo, Japan

Source: USGS

The above is a preliminary report and subject to revision in magnitude (up or down a fraction) and ditto location (by a few km).

A strong quake, but thankfully not likely to cause very serious damage. (The Japanese are well prepared for ones in this range and have excellent building codes.)

EDIT: this quake occurred on land, so any tsunami is very unlikely. It would be unlikely anyway even if the quake had been below the sea, but worth clarifying. Latest quake depth comes in at 103 km (64 mi) which is very good news. That is much less likely to cause severe damage than if it had been at (say) 10 km deep.
edit on 2/2/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Hey...
Are you near Seattle? I have no real indication of region ever, but my anxiety is off the chart today for no reason, as usual. Even my hormones are pretty much in check for a change!
The panic attack symptoms are still there and gradually getting worse, with the pains in the sides of my neck that start when it gets quite bad..it's not fun. I've given myself a good kick in the pants this morning, which has helped to a degree, but I still am looking and expecting something nightmarish to come round the corner at us. I just don't know what....I keep looking at economic things, geology, political stuff, to try and pin down what I'm feeling but I just don't recognise it at all...like it's something we haven't seen before and can't recognise it because we don't have that particular pattern in our heads of what's possible.

I just have this huge feeling of rage and attack directed at me that seems to be coming from lots of directions, and I'm trying so hard to deflect it and turn it round into something positive. I just don't know. Sorry to be so woo woo. Hope you are ok.

Off for some toast and cheese with the dog ...that might help.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Back to responses...

Back in this post on Jan 8, MariaLida quoted from a thread she had started, where in her OP she stated the following:

I open this thread because I believe this time dangerous "West Coast" EQ stronger of M 7.0 + will appear in short time or couple of days after strong EQ in Chile ..

So Chile EQ I'm enough positive to post in public this time will effect West Coast EQ but we will see is my calculation accurate for next "West Coast" EQ ..

EQ will probably hit somewhere offshore in line from Mexico to California to Cascadia to B. Columbia ..

Well, as we know, there was a Mag 6.8 quake in coastal Chile on Jan 30 at 20:15 UTC, as this USGS report confirms.

A quake between 6.0 and 6.9 is classified as "strong".

Then, less than 14 hours later, at 09:53 UTC on Jan 31, there was a magnitude 6.0 quake W of Craig, AK (ie off the coast of the mainland and near BC), as this USGS report confirms.

Granted, Maria was expecting a mag 7-plus, but even so, for this strong quake to occur within such a short time after the Chile event is well worth noting. Identifying/hypothesizing such a relationship between distant quake zones is quite remarkable and I for one will be paying close attention to anything else Maria has to say on the subject.

And as it's only been a couple of days since that event, I don't think that region of the PNW/BC is completely out of the woods on this one just yet.

Ok I need a break. Thanks for reading.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Bad pressure headache, anxiety off the charts, ear ringing non stop since after the Hokaido eq, something bigger is going to pop soon. I dont think this was it, in fact I think that just put pressure elsewhere. Tokyo or Taiwan maybe? Or more pressure on the eastern side of the ring of fire, I dont know.

Cat is going from bonkers to hiding. Oldest son just complained of a buzzing in his ear.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
All 3 cats are hiding under furniture. It's awfully chilly this morning, so it may be more for warmth than anything. The basket case kitty has been relatively normal, with the acception of a spurt of alarmed meowing around sunrise earlier. The cats may not be acting out of the ordinary, at least not significantly, but something darn sure feels off. There isn't any singular thing I can pinpoint as an example, but it just doesn't feel right. You ever get the feeling you're being watched but can't see by who or what? It's sort of like that, but not exactly. Today just feels...not right.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Wanted to post quickly...had a dream last night about water inundating a canal, like the water was coming in from the sea to a narrow channel, with black narrow square towers on both banks at regular intervals. The wave height looked like it was about 80-100 ft, and the water was very dark, black almost. I'm trying to find an image that matches it. I very rarely remember dreams, let alone have one so specific.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I have stated that I think water will be involved. I have no idea why, it just seems that water is going to play a part in all of this. I am in Kentucky, but when I said this region, I meant the United States. I believe it will have a major impact on us here in the US.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I agree with all of ya'll.

Just to add, where the ground felt angry to me yesterday, today it feels like rage.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This is the closest I could find so far. What I saw was a wide flat shallow irrigation type canal, almost empty, with sloping sides. This one is in Dixon Valley, near Sacramento, and the poplar trees are about 80 ft, so my estimate of wave height was correct. I saw towers, not trees, lined up either side of a canal like this at maybe 50 ft intervals, tall and narrow like church towers. The wave came in and washed past them near the top, so I'm guessing towers about 100 ft plus high.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Ah ok....I felt a good deal of relief when you said you were in Kentucky, hun. I've been seeing this wave thing for a few years now, and I feel sure it's going to affect the whole of the US too. I've had dreams before, twice I think, about a New York tsunami, and it scares the hell out of me. I'm due to visit family in Texas in 6 weeks time and have a feeling something will prevent it. Again, I'm trying to be sensible and get my head round it all, but the nagging doubt is still there.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Cait, when you spoke of that dream, the first thing came to my mind was the Panama Canal -- probably because it's the best-known canal in the world.

However, it's pretty darned big and also doesn't have towers along the sides. So as I couldn't find any canals of the type you mentioned which do have towers along them, I'm stumped...

But just a thought: Panama City's skyline is quite impressive for its towers. Concept by association, perhaps? (On my part, I mean!)

By the way folks, when I mentioned earlier today that a large quake was possible off the coast of Costa Rica, I didn't mean to imply that such a thing was likely any time soon, only that tectonically it's able to happen. Such a big quake in that precise region could be centuries away or even longer.

Oh, just another thing to mention before I call it quits for the night. A few days back John Denver got mentioned and a video of his was posted. (Sorry, can't recall who posted it right now!)

When I saw that post, I didn't think about West Virgina or the Colorado Rocky Mountains, I thought about poor John Denver himself, because of the way he so tragically lost his life in 1997 when the plane he was flying crashed.

His plane went down in the sea about 150 yards off shore near Pacific Grove (CA), on the edge of Monterey Bay.

So, seeing that video posted made me think about the central to southern California coastal region.

The other thing about John is that he was born in Roswell, NM -- a place any ATS reader knows of at least in passing. But besides that, it's the Cal location that had me wondering.

I'm odd that way. Always seem to link to things in an awfully roundabout fashion.

Anyway, goodnight from here. Hope it stays peaceful for you all.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
OK, on the off-chance that this coincides with anything, I'm going to start logging my "hearing muting".
A little background first. I've always had, for as long as I can remember, episodes of my hearing in one ear or the other suddenly muting. It's like someone hit the mute button for 10 or 15 seconds, and then slowly turns the volume back up for a minute or so. There's a few minutes afterward where it sounds like the light high-pitched noise the box TV's make if you put your ear up to the back. I'm not sure if you could call that ringing or not. I've had this occur occasionally for so long that I typically just mutter an obscenity & carry on
I don't have hearing issues or damage, and no one is certain why it does that.

I had an episode of muted hearing a few minutes ago, so I'm logging it here, and will make an effort to continue to do so with future ones.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
A couple of hours ago I got really cranky for no reason!
I'm usually a very easy going broad, it takes a lot to push my buttons!
I don't know what it was, can't remember it ever happening like that before.
Hubby was laughing, thought I was joking or something.
Luckily it didn't last very long!

Then about an hour later, young cat woke up, started trilling & wanting attention.
She went in & out under the desk, trilled at me some more, then went back to sleep again!
The computer is doing all kinds of wonky stuff tonight, but that just might be me!

My ears have been ringing for awhile, hubby too. And we both are hungry again!
Maybe it isn't over yet!
WOQ

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Morning...

Should have posted a reply last night but was having a wee bit of a meltdown instead...
I'm ok though. I think a long day in the house by myself got to me a little bit.

So yes...I looked at the Panama Canal first too, but couldn't find any towers that matched. I will try and draw what I saw today and upload it later. There seem to be a few southern California links here, the John Denver thing, and the Acton place name. Looking at a map of Los Angeles county, Acton is maybe 6 miles from the Palmdale area, and seems to be very close to the San Andreas fault, a little north east of Los Angeles city, sort of between Los Angeles and Palmdale. I don't quite know what to think about that.

Here's a link to a zoomable map that shows just how close it is.

San Andreas fault line map

More later, when I'm awake. Still having panic attack symptoms, sharp pain in the sides of my neck, blah....I dunno. Hope you're all ok this morning.
edit on 3-2-2013 by caitlinfae because: adding link

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Starting around 3:30pm and continuing through now, I have been swamped with black sadness.'

It's probably more an empathic connection to those in my life, but I figured I would post it hear nonetheless.

Love and Light

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
How is everyone? This is going to sound oddball, but It's been weighing on me all day, so I'm posting.

I don't remember my dreams very often, maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and even when I do, they are usually goofy. So back in August, I woke up only remembering these words, "206 West to East".
Strange, right? No visuals, just a man's voice.
Well, It freaked me out, because for some reason it felt related to a catastrophe. My first thought was that it was earthquake related, but I shrugged that off because I am always thinking about earthquakes.

I googled "flight + 206" (no clue why I thought it may be a flight). At that time, American Airlines had a flight 206 from Los Angeles to Miami.
(west to east)
By this point, I'm really worried about a plane crash. I phoned my mom and told her about my morning. she assured me it was nothing. A few days passed, then weeks and months. No disaster---whew!

Flashward to me tidying this morning. I knock my notebook off the table and it falls open to my notes from that day.
I had completely forgotten about that event. Then it hit me that tomorrow was the Feb 6th. Well, it is 02-06-2013 in UTC time right now.
Now, I don't expect any plane crash, natural disaster, or any other catastrophic event to occur. I've never had a precognitive dream in my life. But still, it is bugging me. So here it is.

BTW, that American Airlines flight shows as Los Angeles to Boston when I searched today.

edit on 2/5/2013 by Olivine because: remove an errant smiley

edit on 2/5/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Okay, that is weird syncronicity.
Mag 8.0 Santa Cruz

Definitely wrong locations and not a flight (except maybe people taking flight to escape danger?)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine
reply to post by Olivine

Okay, that is weird syncronicity.
Mag 8.0 Santa Cruz

Definitely wrong locations and not a flight (except maybe people taking flight to escape danger?)

206 would match the date and "west to east" maybe a tsunami?

But you are very right about syncronicity.

new topics

top topics

<< 180  181  182    184  185  186 >>

join