It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake felt across England

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

Who cares about strength ?

What you are not realising is that a Quake has never happend in this area of the world before.

Your post on this thread made me wonder about your character in a big way.

If you had lived your life and never experianced snow then all of a suddan it was there how would you react ?

Thats exacltly why this story is getting the attention it deserves.

I could go on but there is a saying.

(You should not argue with a fool as this can bring you down to there level)

So i wont.

I understand why there were peaple in the street.

To me it felt like a bomb went off there was a huge rush of air then wallop i was scared.

Your post simply makes you look ignorant sorry about that but it's true.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 27-2-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

Well sorry if I hurt your feelings, didn’t mean to.

In answer to your question, if I had never seen snow and didn’t know what it was, I would panic at the sight of it.

If I knew exactly what it was yet had never seen it, I would be awe struck. I would not, however, panic and run into the street freaking out.

Now I can understand people thinking it was a bomb or something at first and loosing it, but I was unsure if that was the case and that is WHY I ASKED!

I am not there. All I see is what is on the news. I know there is a large UK ATS population and thought I would ask if people are really freaking out.

I guess you answered my question with your defensive stance. You brits just love to get all worked up at what you perceive to be inferior nations, and I am certain that you getting your panties all in a twist over my post gave you a large amount of satisfaction. Yes, us silly ignorant Americans. Go laugh about it over a spot of tea. You can imagine me toothless with a shotgun slung over my shoulder and kicking my wife in the kitchen of our trailer with NASCAR on in the background if it pleases you. I'm glad I gave you a little enjoyment.

BTW, how can you call me ignorant and then state that earthquakes have never been felt there? I live all the way on the other side of the world an I know that you have had several earthquakes this century.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well the earth certaintly moved for me at 1am this morning !! I had the living day lights knocked out of me!! I had just settled down to sleep when all of a sudden i felt my bed shaking!! At first i thought someone was in the room, then i thought OMG it's a ghost and i was being haynted and then i realised it was an Earthquake !! I even text my frined shortly afterwards and said i think i've just felt an earthquake. Then i sat up in bed for 10 mins scared out of my wits and for the first time in years slept with my bedroom light on !! Turned it off after 45 mins lol !! Woke up this morning thinking that was an intense dream, switched on the news and saw it was not a dream at all !! I live in the Northwest of England... my only regret was that my bed did not shake for more pleasureable reasons !!

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

How long did the shaking last? Was it more of a slow wobbling shake type or the fast violent shake type? The ones I usually feel are kind of slow, almost like the whole house is bending toward the ground and then snapping back. More like swaying then actually shaking.

I don’t know too much about earthquakes but I am curious how it felt in an area that doesn’t get so many and has different soils.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Who cares about strength ?

Sorry, just noticed that.

Is that what got you all worked up? I was referring to building techniques, how we construct our dwellings and offices, roads and bridges.

It doesn’t have to be an attack on your manhood or national pride. Like you pointed out, you don’t expect them so you don’t build to protect against them.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

I guess you answered my question with your defensive stance. You brits just love to get all worked up at what you perceive to be inferior nations, and I am certain that you getting your panties all in a twist over my post gave you a large amount of satisfaction. Yes, us silly ignorant Americans. Go laugh about it over a spot of tea. You can imagine me toothless with a shotgun slung over my shoulder and kicking my wife in the kitchen of our trailer with NASCAR on in the background if it pleases you. I'm glad I gave you a little enjoyment.

No need to turn this into a stereotypical brits/americans slanging match, you just had a difference of opinions. To someone who has never experienced or ever been expecting to have their house shaken to bits it's a big thing, but compared to someone who experiences it quite frequently it's nothing.

Saying that there isn't panic in the streets, after the earthquake had passed many people went out into the streets to see what the hell was going on. That's about it....

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Ok let me just get to some points as to help this covo,

1, this was the biggest quake we have had here in the UK for 25 years,
Yes we get small ones but never something felt all over the country, the reason for this is that is was a shallow quake, 6 miles under ground,

Also, where this happened ...There was no major active fault line, So it came as quite a surprise, they think this may be an old un active fault line going back possible 1000's of years,

As for panic.. Some I guess felt a little uneasy but for the most I think it’s been more of an excitement; this did happen at 1am when most where tucked up in bed... So a little rude awakening ... something to talk about, something that’s kinda got everyone talking here, to be honest it’s kinda nice... I went to the shop today and everyone was chatting about it, and everyone was joining in the convo,

Takes a quake to bring people together lol.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by asala]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleggy88
No need to turn this into a stereotypical brits/americans slanging match, you just had a difference of opinions.

Yes, you are right.

after the earthquake had passed many people went out into the streets to see what the hell was going on. That's about it....

Thats what I figured.

I saw a spot about it on the news and they made it sound like people were running through the streets in their underwear screaming, and you have to admit that would be silly.

Cant trust our media for the truth anymore.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by cavscout]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
How long did the shaking last? Was it more of a slow wobbling shake type or the fast violent shake type? The ones I usually feel are kind of slow, almost like the whole house is bending toward the ground and then snapping back. More like swaying then actually shaking.

I don’t know too much about earthquakes but I am curious how it felt in an area that doesn’t get so many and has different soils.

out of the two i would say the latter , from where i was although it only seemed to last 6-10 seconds , its the first time i have experianced anything like this , it got the adreneline pumping , the first thing I did was run downstairs with a knife thinking we were being robbed, I cant explain why just felt a compulsion , strange that about 8 people said the same thing at work , that they thought they were being robbed.

But no damage here and drama over, would hate to feel anything bigger thats for certain.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Since I am now receiving U2Us calling me a social baboon, I guess I should make some sort of apology.

Sorry.

You have to understand that a 5.7 magnitude quake (common over here) actually releases 31 TIMES MORE ENERGY than a 4.7 magnitude.

Think about that for a second. 31 times more energy.

To us, a 4.7 is nothing.

Sorry for saying the British response to this was hilarious, I spoke before I considered your feelings.

Don’t let me ruin your fun.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

That 'Sorry' didn't seem to come from the heart!

I'm British... and for one slept through the rumbling and wobbling! So certainly wasn't running round in my undies!

Seems to me every time something weird happens to someone, theres always someone else there to attack!

My other half said he thought there was something wrong in his head at first, like he was 'seasick' for want of another word!

My son's friends Dad was one of the ones that went running down the stairs, when he got to the bottom, he thought "what am I looking for?" I guess another one of the 'I'm being robbed' syndrome.

As it happens we are in the Midlands, and of everyone I've spoken to, not one was panicked or freaked out about it. Its not a normal occurrence here, but believe it or not, us 'Brits' are not stupid.

Anyhow, have a safe night everyone.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceekay

That 'Sorry' didn't seem to come from the heart!

Well then, I am sooooooooo sorry for what seemed a half hearted apology.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by cavscout]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I forgive your ignorance thank you for accepting you were wrong and saying sorry.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Thankyou.... that's much better. You reminded me of my daughter then when she says sorry with her back turned and her fingers crossed!

It's just pretty strange for us that's all..... Wish I had been awake to see it (feel it!) Then I would have a reason to run round in my undies!

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The news media here have been reporting the quake all day as a magnitude of 5.3. I don't know where '4.7' originates but I never heard that on any news station all day.

In Hertfordshire here we are about 200 miles from the epicentre in Lincolnshire, and our house shook rather violently. The night was silent-calm, and suddenly there was a loud banging noise and shaking. My first thought, quite honestly, was that something really enormous, like part of an aircraft, had impacted the roof and maybe gone through into the loft. It was really, really LOUD.

The last one about 4 years ago was reported to be 5.2 - interestingly at almost the same time in the very early morning. That time, it felt like the ground vibrated for several seconds and everything in vision went blurred.

The weird thing is we're normally asleep at that time of night, but on these 2 occasions remained awake and alert for no obvious reason. I was actually working on the computer. Some people have claimed to have migraines all day before the tremor, so there is perhaps an electro-magnetic build-up to which some are sensitive.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I can't believe there are actually people saying this is all natural, and the world does this all the time its just no diffrent from 20 years ago to 200 years ago, the earth has peaks and valleys.
Yeah, so here's 2 days of earthquakes on normal earth.

4.8 2008/02/27 12:14:02 UTC WEST CHILE RISE
4.2 2008/02/27 07:59:40 NEVADA, USA
6.3!! 2008/02/27 06:54:25 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
5.2 2008/02/27 04:54:27 SOUTH OF THE KERMADEC ISLANDS
4.7 2008/02/27 00:56:46 ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
4.4 2008/02/26 23:58:27 ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
4.5 2008/02/26 22:20:59 MYANMAR
5.8 2008/02/26 18:18:31 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
4.8 2008/02/26 17:50:06 WESTERN SICHUAN, CHINA
5.0 2008/02/26 17:13:35 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
5.0 2008/02/26 16:10:39 SOUTHERN GREECE
4.8 2008/02/26 05:22:34 BISMARCK SEA
5.0 2008/02/26 03:08:43 SULAWESI, INDONESIA
4.5 2008/02/26 01:14:03 NEAR THE COAST OF NICARAGUA

But this is all just valley? Don't get me started on the tornados...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

5.2, according to the British Geological Survey site...

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bovarcher

bovarcher hello.

I can tell you the initial report of 4.7 and the epicentre being 30 miles south of hull was shown on BBC news 24.

It stated the strength and location about 30 minutes after it hit.

Then i guess the information was updated as time went on.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Coincedence or not?

Programme called "Quake Threat UK" now showing on National Geographic Channel. (Sky 526).

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
i am in Lincoln , and was awake at the time of the quake,

i have exp a quake here in lincoln before, in around 2000/2001. it was minor.

the one the other night however was big and loud and had a strange pulsing sensation.

people have been posting on here about RAF Faldingworth, other posters are correct it is no longer a nuke storage facility, it was sold off and it is now owned by a sub company of Royal Ordance..... Now in the last few months it has been on the news a lot , due to the very loud explosions and bangs coming from there,

On the news and in the paper they had an official response from the company that said "they were testing IED`s on various vehicle for the military"

but the thing is the explosions were too big to be that kind of minor testing. plus the base has extensive underground areas and bunkers , esp the deep nuke storage bunkers !!.

maybe there is a link to the earthquake......

ps. there has been a lot of damage in this area esp in the town of Gainsbourgh......also i happen to work in an old cold war bunker for a company that now uses it for computer data storage and comms, it had damage from the quake (very minor cracks).

take care
snoopyuk

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join