It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global net censorship growing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Global net censorship growing

news.bbc.co.uk

The level of state-led censorship of the net is growing around the world, a study of so-called internet filtering by the Open Net Initiative suggests.

The study of thousands of websites across 120 Internet Service Providers found 25 of 41 countries surveyed showed evidence of content filtering.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
New World Order needs to censor any opposing information. FBI already can monitor your browsing activities. What's next?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
the goal is maintaining the illusion of freedom, don't have to look very far, do we?

anyways, understanding is key, never forget that far too many people will pretend not to notice. talking about censorship is probably a necessary obstacle to the censors, but they will refine their technique and go ahead. unless the censors reap the rewards of their deplorable games, nothing will change, because the urge to withhold information to gain an advantage is just too strong.

they will fail let's make sure humanity does not fail with them, shall we?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

from 64738:
New World Order needs to censor any opposing information. FBI already can monitor your browsing activities. What's next?

Can you please tell me where you heard it was the FBI doing it.?

BTW, are you talking about everybody when you said "your", or just Americans?

I'm interested. I like my privacy and annonymity.

[edit on 21/5/2007 by nerbot]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
not to seem too pessimistic, but humanity has failed. The streets should be full of peeps, right after the Patriot Act was passed and the truth came out about warrentless wiretaps and now the FBI( which most likely has been contracted out to "contractors like BLACKWATER USA) has the authority to monitor the internet for suspicious activity. And then theres the NSA, dont even want to go there yet, and and the CIA agents that are on the News acting as News Anchormen.

www.blackwaterusa.com...

^ Traitor Scum^ (__O__)

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I will know that Internet censorship has hit America the day this site is blocked. It seems to me the biggest threat would be people who oppose censorship and gather to discuss topics that maybe a negative to the goverment. To me this forum is exatly that, a bunch of people who try to weed out the false from the truth, and constantly speaking their opinions on topics known or unknown to the general public. Afterall, what is a conspiracy theory if you have no one to tell it to with open ears?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

from 64738:

Can you please tell me where you heard it was the FBI doing it.?

BTW, are you talking about everybody when you said "your", or just Americans?

I'm interested. I like my privacy and annonymity.

not really related to Internet issues, butthe FBI is using cellphones as bugs:

www.dailytech.com...

It seems as though George Orwell hit it the bullseye again when he wrote about Big Brother and the government's way of keeping track of the general public. It has been recently revealed that the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has a way of tapping a cell phone and using the microphone to listen in on nearby conversations.

The method used for listening in on conversations held by alleged members of Cosa Nostra is called a "roving bug" and was ruled to be a legal method of wiretapping by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan. The bug was alledgedly used on two Nextel phones. It looks like all cellular phones are vulnerable to this sort of wiretapping according to CNet's findings:

it's basically exactly what people feared from the start about cellphones, a tracking device,a bug, a microwave weapon - you name it. turning it off won't work, because soft off means easy remote activation. removing the battery won't work if the battery contains microelectronics..besides who's doing that? the situation is probably the same with internet monitoring, it'll take ages before they admit to stealing terabytes for purposes of data mining. btw, whoever believes that they'll be traking criminals is naive at best, compare f-ex. the housing situation of criminals and normal citizens in the UK and you'll see that crime is welcome because the merchandise of security does not work well without a threat. iow, they'll be chasing dissenters, like you and me.

then we have

FBI wants ISP to track users

"Terrorists coordinate their plans cloaked in the anonymity of the Internet, as do violent sexual predators prowling chat rooms," Mueller said in a speech at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Boston.

ISP snooping time line
In events that were first reported by CNET News.com, Bush administration officials have said Internet providers must keep track of what Americans are doing online.

June 2005: Justice Department officials quietly propose data retention rules.

December 2005: European Parliament votes for data retention of up to two years.

April 14, 2006: Data retention proposals surface in Colorado and the U.S. Congress.

April 20, 2006: Attorney General Alberto Gonzales says data retention "must be addressed."

April 28, 2006: Rep. Diana DeGette proposes data retention amendment.

May 16, 2006: Rep. James Sensenbrenner drafts data retention legislation--but backs away from it two days later.

May 26, 2006: Gonzales and FBI Director Robert Mueller meet with Internet and telecommunications companies.

June 27, 2006: Rep. Joe Barton, chair of a House committee, calls new child protection legislation "highest priority."
"All too often, we find that before we can catch these offenders, Internet service providers have unwittingly deleted the very records that would help us identify these offenders and protect future victims," Mueller said. "We must find a balance between the legitimate need for privacy and law enforcement's clear need for access."

couple of thoughts:

a) not all crimes are preventable. to believe otherwise is lunacy

b) how many people have died at the hand of governments, priviledged trade companies and other collectivist groups? hundred million + in the 20th alone.

how does non-gov't crime compare ? which is therefore the greater threat?

[edit on 22.5.2007 by Long Lance]

top topics

join