It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Guide To Survival

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
(I wanted to post this in the research forum as i feel thats where it belongs, but it doesnt let me, so feel free to move it wherever)

I was thinking the other day about how reliant we have become on the internet for our information needs and how people have become TOO reliant. It's so easy to find out ANYTHING you want at the press of a few keys, but what would happen in the event of a disaster or national emergency were you to end up cut off from the net? Basically, how would you survive?

What I want to do here is start a research project which will be a 'print out and keep' guide of really, really useful information for if the worst ever happened. You can go through the links and print out the useful ones (because remember, you won't have the chance to when the net has gone!) and also add your own useful tips. Maybe you can also learn some new skills or info along the way.

Here are some I thought of to start with.....

rainwater filter - www.baproducts.com...

light a fire without matches - www.everything2.com...

500 assorted solar projects - www.builditsolar.com...

morse code - www.babbage.demon.co.uk...

a-z list of natural medicines - www.pdrhealth.com...

general emergency checklist - www.newmarket.ca...

generators and assorted - www.knowledgehound.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Thanks this looks really good, Im going to have a good read of the links and see whats what,

Thanks for taking the time to put it together

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
And here is my addition to this,

Cold water survival

www.boatwashington.org...

If you fall into cold water, remember that water conducts heat many times faster that air. Most boats will float even when capsized or swamped, so get in or on the boat to get as far out of the water as possible

A Fire Survival Guide
www.fire.org.uk...

If you are prevented from getting out because of flames or smoke, close the door nearest to the fire and use towels or sheets to block any gaps. This will help stop smoke spreading into the room.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
thanks for replying and taking an interest, asala.

i forgot to add this important one -

basic first aid and first aid kit - www.survival-center.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
here are some other signal types to go with the morse code -

semaphore (flags) - www.anbg.gov.au...

international call signs - www.famouswelsh.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
heres another 1...

in-depth rope & knot-tying guide - www.gutenberg.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a few more..

homemade compass - www.easyfunschool.com...

navigation by stars - www.answerbag.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Great stuff, theres alot of usefull info there,

Ill also find some other links later to add,

I hope others will also add

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
thanks asala, im still plodding away trying to think of other useful things to add.

also ive been waiting for somebody to add this totally essential advice...

www.ebaumsworld.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A few good bits of info on this site,

Wilderness Survival1. Introduction2. Psychology of Survival3. Survival Kits and Planning4. Survival Medicine5. Shelters6. Water Procurement7. Firecraft

www.wilderness-survival.net...

lol looks like its just me and you are going to survive hehe

[edit on 14-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Build a shelter www.geocities.com...

When looking for a shelter site, keep in mind the type of shelter (protection) you need. However, you must also consider--
* How much time and effort you need to build the shelter.
* If the shelter will adequately protect you from the elements (sun, wind, rain, snow).
* If you have the tools to build it. If not, can you make improvised tools?
* If you have the type and amount of materials needed to build it.
To answer these questions, you need to know how to make various types of shelters and what materials you need to make them.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
just bumping this thread up for obvious reasons. if you think it may be useful to you soon, use it!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Just discovered this thread through a link in another. Although this is a fantastic thread, full of information I still think that a forum would be great - there's just so much to cover . I am pretty new to the survivalist camp, so I have heaps of questions and no real idea where to look.

For now my main focus is on the basics:

I am looking for some information regarding animal traps and dressing the carcasses, also anything about preserving the meat.

One of the first links refers to a basic charcoal water filtration system. I take it this works for bacteria, what about other contaminants? And is there a way to tell if your water has been contaminated - or should you filter it/boil it for ten minutes regardless?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This web site

soilandhealth.org...

Has information on Radical Agriculture, The Restoration and Maintenance of Health, Achieving Personal Sovereignty and Achieving Spiritual Freedom.

Survival depends on many factors. We can control some of these factors but not all of them. Many people take the position of refusing to practice preparedness because they see those factors outside their control as an excuse not to act on those over which they do have control. I think this attitude is silly.

One of the most critical factors we can control is planning. Having a plan is the single most critical aspect of survival/preparedness. A plan allows you to take action immediately rather than waste time running around like a headless chicken. Network with friends and family. Have backup plans to your backup plans.

Be aware of the threats you face day to day. Our food is poison. Our water is poison. Our Pharmacutical drugs are poison. Be aware.

-Hilary_155

-Hilary_155

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
What about building lean-too's. I'm sure most people have the knowledge to build one, but what about the people that dont know how, would it be helpful to put together a basic "manual" on how to build one, and where to build them? If it came down to it, we just might have to rely on mother nature to provide for us. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blade The Hunter
What about building lean-too's. I'm sure most people have the knowledge to build one, but what about the people that dont know how, would it be helpful to put together a basic "manual" on how to build one, and where to build them? If it came down to it, we just might have to rely on mother nature to provide for us. What do you think?

here you go...

east lean-to
more info lean-to
cave lean-to
lean-to greenhouse

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think the Survival forums is right ware this thread belongs. Great idea. Lets start flaging it to help get it more into the main stream. I will add some links latter when I have time to go thru the ones that are here already.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
As i was watchin survivorman for a tip or too, Les kept stressing the importance of knot tying. So upon my perusal of some searches i found this.

Very cool animated knot tying site

Did an ATS search and this is the thread that comes up.

Just thought id add this animated knot tying site to this already very informatively (that a word?) linked thread.

Cheers,

Silver

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by S1LV3R4D0

Very cool site. Bookmarked that badboy. My knot tying sucks. Thanks very much.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Your more than welcome seagull. Ya, my knot tying was pretty much non existant
till a couple weeks ago. Sat here for 3 hrs practicing some of those with that neat little step by step interface. Gotta love information technology!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join