It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Jordan Peterson launching online university to counter left-wing bias

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 10:30 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

World-renowned psychologist and author Dr. Jordan Peterson revealed Wednesday he is launching a more affordable online university to counter left-wing indoctrination in the classroom.

Peterson joined the "Fox & Friends" co-hosts for a wide-ranging dialogue on various issues including the decline of traditional values in young adults far-left bias in the classroom and his motivation to launch his collegiate program.

He said his desire to launch the program stemmed from his unhappiness with how educational institutions have operated over the course of recent decades.

"I'm not very happy with what the universities have done over the last, let's say, 20 years," Peterson said Wednesday on FOX Square. "We're trying to put a system online, Peterson Academy, that will drop the cost of a bachelor's degree to $4,000. We think we can find the best lecturers in the world and bring them to people, and also instantiate a set of extremely, what would you say, severe and high-quality accreditation standards for the graduates so that people who graduate from our university will be stamped... with a credential that indicates genuine competence, literacy, intelligence, conscientiousness and so forth."

"I think that whole system is ripe for an extreme upset," he continued

Not a bad idea given the implementation of the radical left views and the woke ideology in schools and universities. The way Dr Peterson understands it and the way many of us see the whole project, is that schools and universities have become breeding places for the woke ideology, where students are indoctrinated or even brainwashed in critical race theory, gender ideology, transgender lunacy, 'liberal version' of sex education, and where there is a continuous attack on traditional values (such as family), and with continuous emphasis on how guilty people are as the world will be coming to an end due to their actions-climate catastrophy and doom & gloom scenarios.

I too think the woke ideology and the radical left ideas have no place in schools and universities and society must have a plan to be able to resist, oppose, and defeat them.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg
Ready for incoming screams of /

Racism
White supremacy
TERF
Homophobe
Sexist
Misogyny
Hate speech
Dog whistle
Microaggressions
Genocide

And the attendant lawsuits for each.

Not because any of this actually happened, but because this venture has the nerve to exist, with non-leftist beliefs.

edit on 8-8-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I used to be impressed by JP, he's one of the best at arranging and articulating his thoughts. He spoke with passion because they actually were his own thoughts and beliefs. That's why people listened to him, it's tough nowadays to find anyone who's genuinely passionate enough to go against the grain of stupid. Now he's just a mouth piece cashing in on his own brand, and trashing it at the same time. It's like watching a robot, he's not very good at faking passion for a paycheck.

To have been a real fan of such a unique mind, watching it go to waste is painful and truly saddens me. I used to be able to see his inner child at work. I don't see that anymore and my inner child misses him.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: HeirHeart

I used to be impressed by JP, he's one of the best at arranging and articulating his thoughts. He spoke with passion because they actually were his own thoughts and beliefs. That's why people listened to him, it's tough nowadays to find anyone who's genuinely passionate enough to go against the grain of stupid. Now he's just a mouth piece cashing in on his own brand, and trashing it at the same time. It's like watching a robot, he's not very good at faking passion for a paycheck.

To have been a real fan of such a unique mind, watching it go to waste is painful and truly saddens me. I used to be able to see his inner child at work. I don't see that anymore and my inner child misses him.

I am still impressed with his work and intellect. You're not right about him bring any different than before. What I have noticed is that he has stepped up his efforts in the last few years.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   
He's gonna find the best lecturers in the world and bring them over to teach at this online university, where a bachelor's degree costs only $4,000.

How does the math work on this, is each professor going to have to have a few thousand students for this to be profitable?

How long will it take to get to such enrollment numbers, because only at that point can you start recruiting the best professors to come over and be able to pay them. Until then the beginner staff will have to work for pretty much nothing, or just volunteer.

This could work, but it just sounds so fishy. It could be another Trump University scam where thousands of innocent people get duped out of million of dollars, and in the end get neither an education, nor their money back.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
He's gonna find the best lecturers in the world and bring them over to teach at this online university, where a bachelor's degree costs only $4,000.

How does the math work on this, is each professor going to have to have a few thousand students for this to be profitable?

How long will it take to get to such enrollment numbers, because only at that point can you start recruiting the best professors to come over and be able to pay them. Until then the beginner staff will have to work for pretty much nothing, or just volunteer.

This could work, but it just sounds so fishy. It could be another Trump University scam where thousands of innocent people get duped out of million of dollars, and in the end get neither an education, nor their money back.

Virtual.

Only realistic answer.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Virtual.

Only realistic answer.

Yep, that's why it says online.

That doesn't mean people won't ask questions and they won't have tests and assignments and papers to grade. A one hour class creates many hours of post-class work for the instructor. If they don't provide the same quality of education, they won't be accredited. Which means a student is just throwing money away.

How do you manage the thousands of students necessary for a $4,000 4-year diploma. That's a $1,000 per year. Each professor would have to have a couple of thousand students, concurrently, for this to work, for everyone to get paid, for the university to be profitable, and to be able to afford the infrastructure to support all this and tens of thousands of simultaneous students in streaming classes.

Sounds to me like someone is in their manic phase, getting grandiose ideas that would have a hard time matching reality. But, we'll see.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

An online course/university could be profitable if it has many more students than attending in person. Of course you can't provide every course of study if you don't have facilities and laboratories. You can provide some of the courses that Dr Peterson is aiming for.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Virtual.

Only realistic answer.

That doesn't mean people won't ask questions and they won't have tests and assignments and papers to grade. A one hour class creates many hours of post-class work for the instructor. If they don't provide the same quality of education, they won't be accredited. Which means a student is just throwing money away.

How do you manage the thousands of students necessary for a $4,000 4-year diploma. That's a $1,000 per year. Each professor would have to have a couple of thousand students, concurrently, for this to work, for everyone to get paid, for the university to be profitable, and to be able to afford the infrastructure to support all this and tens of thousands of simultaneous students in streaming classes.

Sounds to me like someone is in their manic phase, getting grandiose ideas that would have a hard time matching reality. But, we'll see.

I’m not a fan of virtual education.

My 8th grader had to go online during Covid. It was horrible.

I made him get up, put his school uniform on, and sit at the table.

I’m not raising a kid, I’m raising a responsible adult.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   
An online University is great until you need to transfer credits for an MA or advanced degree over a BA. Unless the virtual college has accreditation from Council for Higher Education Accreditation; you just wasted your money.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
An online University is great until you need to transfer credits for an MA or advanced degree over a BA. Unless the virtual college has accreditation from Council for Higher Education Accreditation; you just wasted your money.

Depends on the course.
Just as I said above, there are some types of course you can give online.

About wasting money.
I am sure a good number of degrees is just a waste of money and time, and they're not online course but the traditional ones given in campuses all over the country.

Starting with gender studies for example...

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HeirHeart

Im sorry? cashing in? a brand? When you applied for your current job, did you not sell yourself? did you do it for the money? Don't we all? Why is it that someone who is accomplished is rendered some kind of sellout? I mean he did weather a horrific storm and came out the end. Now he is producing something better in the place of established norms and should be ridiculed or critiqued for it? He see's the problem and offer's something better in it's place(maybe?) and now the man must do all for free in order for the endevour to be an altruistic one? Do you think that lawyers and judges just love justice and would gladly give up a paycheck to administer it? politician's, as a civic duty? I think the man has paid his due's and should very readily cash in on something that people gladly pay for...that's the system we designed. Capitalism at its finest. The man has figured out how to sell idea's that the world really want's, instead of machining precision parts in factories. Do you think he should get his own 3am infomercial? no...that sh*T sell's itself. people are buying and there is nothing wrong with that. There are much bigger things in store for that man, and if he wasn't the real deal then why so popular? I think he should be the next PM. When that happens I bet every turncoat and sellout will come back from the shadow's from whiich the came and tried before. He has integrity, which those other's don't seem to have. which side are you?
edit on 8-8-2023 by AnrkE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I think the question will be; will employers look down at a celebrity university. Will it be seen as the same as something like Trump University?

It's great that he's trying to put forth a cheap university but I from the people ive talked to that left college 1-2 years ago, the woke "ideology" was not invasively present. Although, they didn't go to a university like Berkley.

Do employers look up university degrees?

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie

I think the question will be; will employers look down at a celebrity university. Will it be seen as the same as something like Trump University?

It's great that he's trying to put forth a cheap university but I from the people ive talked to that left college 1-2 years ago, the woke "ideology" was not invasively present. Although, they didn't go to a university like Berkley.

Do employers look up university degrees?

Depends on what you've studied.

But it's true wokeness has infected schools and universities. I think this is undeniable.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Virtual.

Only realistic answer.

Don’t know what to say other than it explains …..,.

And I do wish the best for you and yours.

Yet, little gems like this show a very real disconnect.

But I do hope you do well. Regardless of ATS meanderings.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Virtual.

Only realistic answer.

How does it show a disconnect?

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I think it has in some universities. Definitely not all. There are still professors out there that encourage free thought and questioning the status quo.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie

I think it has in some universities. Definitely not all. There are still professors out there that encourage free thought and questioning the status quo.

There was a time when university fostered descent. They were a pillar of hope and change, along with the free press. we all know now what it has become....the bleating tragic discourse of conformity. A tragic ending for what was true revolutionary spirit. Now it's just a breeding ground of the angry young folk that would rather fit in than stand out. they dont even realize that they're ire has been misdirected and they are crying about the wrong things. Simple creature's that think they matter, fight for other's, and be offended on the behalf of (marginalized) meanwhile causing devision, just stand in line's and force us all to do the same.

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Technology being used correctly would make a huge difference .

For starters:

Reduction in professors and classes:
There is no reason why you need 10 professors to teach math when you can record the lessons along with questions and answer.

Then conduct a follow-up if needed that is also recorded and utilization of ai tools.

Also since online, thousands could attend versus having a professors teach 4 different classes.

Physical costs:
No need for big campus, maintenance of buildings, parking,etc

Books:
No need for physical books or constant edition rewrites as they do now.

Partnering with other online learning tools.

khan academy , harvard, and mit already offer free online courses.

Focus on education that are in demand:
No need to waste money on courses,staff,or resources to study what sex or color cats identify with and the impact on the environment.

Learn at own pace versus forcing everyone to adhere to a set schedule due to resources.
Need to learn structure.

Lots of ways to cost if technology is used with the intention of reducing cost and actually teaching kids versus indoctrination and using kids as a cash cow.

edit on 38831America/ChicagoTue, 08 Aug 2023 21:38:09 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 41831America/ChicagoTue, 08 Aug 2023 21:41:22 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2023 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Virtual.

Only realistic answer.

How does it show a disconnect?

It appears that you are fine with saying kids should cut themselves up and become whatever “their brain” tells them to be.
In this recent post, you appear to be a stringent person who makes their grandchild dress up as “standard uniformed student” and sit awaiting the system’s demands.
This is a disconnect. You love “the system” when it asks you to support cutting children up.
You reject “the system” if you feel it’s not rigid enough to make your grandchild adhere to the prescribed order.
It’s sorry and nasty, yet you embrace the hypocrisy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join