It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DeSantis Stomps on the mouse's tail.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

If it was that easy DeSantis wouldn't have already been outsmarted by them multiple times already. Unless he and his attorneys don't know as much as you do. Which is possible.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

And that may be what they initially tried but found the state would have to pay the billion in debt, therefore tax payers would get screwed.

A search shows there are 1800 special districts in Florida with varying powers.
edit on 26-4-2023 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

If it was that easy DeSantis wouldn't have already been outsmarted by them multiple times already. Unless he and his attorneys don't know as much as you do. Which is possible.

He hasn't been outstarted. The last-minute agreement wasn't clever, it was desperate. Disney is basically arguing that it has a right to avoid following state laws (like any other company would need to). That is patently absurd.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I guess we will see what the judge finds absurd. No telling. I suppose they can claim that they just happened to decide to battle Disney right after Disney spoke out. Coincidence.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Didn’t DeSantis publicly state on multiple occasions that this was specifically retribution? If so, then Disney has a pretty good 1st amendment case, right?

Discovery will be fun. Trump is elated.
edit on 26-4-2023 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2023 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Oh it will be. This article is just after Disney spoke up.

House Speaker Chris Sprowls defended the decision to take up legislation directly aimed at Disney, calling the company’s opposition to the “Parental Rights in Education” bill as “wildly inappropriate.”

“They used their platform to perpetuate what we believe to be a lie, which is that the bill did one thing that it really didn’t do at all,” said Sprowls on Tuesday.

“I think the governor’s anger was well placed,” he said.

Sprowls had no qualms about moving quickly to take up the legislation, even though the bill would not take effect until next year.He said that he and House Republicans for several years have wanted to pass legislation that would take aim at the hundreds of special districts set up in the state, but he conceded that displeasure with Disney among Republicans had put the “issue at the top of our minds.”

So I can imagine emails and texts will be fun.

Politico

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   

They worded it in a way that doesn't say Disney, But includes any business in the state of Florida no longer being able to run like Disney is ran and the privileges that they get.

They also got them with anything involving tracks, mono rails and train tracks fall under the state of Florida now.
There is more sides of this that I can't remember but it is basically a bunch of laws being written up that takes away their control of certain things.

edit on 26-4-2023 by EmeraldCoastFreedm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

a reply to: frogs453

And that may be what they initially tried but found the state would have to pay the billion in debt, therefore tax payers would get screwed.

A search shows there are 1800 special districts in Florida with varying powers.

Florida has a 21.8 billion dollar budget surplus. And it is going grow even higher after this tourist season.
Condo's for week here was 3-4K precovid they are now booking at 6k and more.
edit on 26-4-2023 by EmeraldCoastFreedm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmeraldCoastFreedm

They worded it in a way that doesn't say Disney, But includes any business in the state of Florida no longer being able to run like Disney is ran and the privileges that they get.

They also got them with anything involving tracks, mono rails and train tracks fall under the state of Florida now.
There is more sides of this that I can't remember but it is basically a bunch of laws being written up that takes away their control of certain things.

Someone on Reddit said it best: In other news, apparently Disney's monorail wasn't getting regular safety inspections.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

A friend of mine is a inspector engineer for Six flags, The state that he is in they still come in and inspect things and can over ride anything.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   
One other thing they are also in the stages of writing something up to jack up their resort fee's so even people that support Disney will be paying.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

He hasn't been outstarted. The last-minute agreement wasn't clever, it was desperate. Disney is basically arguing that it has a right to avoid following state laws (like any other company would need to). That is patently absurd.

Not so fast!

Disney just filed suit.

Disney's lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida, dramatically escalates the fight. The company alleges that a retaliation campaign was "orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech" and "now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights."

"Disney regrets that it has come to this," the company said in the first section of the lawsuit. "But having exhausted efforts to seek a resolution, the Company is left with no choice but to file this lawsuit to protect its cast members, guests, and local development partners from a relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint unpopular with certain State officials."

www.nbcnews.com...

Darn that pesky 1st Amendment!

edit on 26-4-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I really don't understand this.

I just see DeSantis as an arrogant fool.

What is he trying to prove?

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Their special privileges should have ended years ago. Sea world, Lego land, Busch Garden, Universal studio's are not able to operate like that so Disney should be forced to operate the same way.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That if you challenge his ego, or hurt Ron DeSantis' fee fees, you will pay!

Great presidential material! /sarc

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EmeraldCoastFreedm

Their special privileges should have ended years ago

Maybe, but nobody cared before Ron DeSantis got his panties in a bunch over Disney's speaking out against his "Don't Say Gay" policy. This is clearly retaliation.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It was on their agenda it just got sped up

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Their special privileges should have ended years ago. Sea world, Lego land, Busch Garden, Universal studio's are not able to operate like that so Disney should be forced to operate the same way.

Why?

If you're gonna throw that out there -- you need some explanation in detail.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It was on their agenda it just got sped up

Was it? Gotta source?

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: EmeraldCoastFreedm

Their special privileges should have ended years ago

Maybe, but nobody cared before Ron DeSantis got his panties in a bunch over Disney's speaking out against his "Don't Say Gay" policy. This is clearly retaliation.

The tourist industry is a huge money maker.

Am I wrong in thinking Disney brings revenue to Florida?

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join