It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DeSantis Stomps on the mouse's tail.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
a reply : angelchemuel
The word you're looking for is "secede" and it's definitively unconstitutional.

Citation please...

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: shaemac

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: infolurker

Trump certainly seems to think DeSantis was partying it up with underage girls considering he shared the image multiple times today.

Trump needs to knock his # off. He also accused Cruz of false things.
This is not going to bode well for him. DeSantis is well liked by Trump supporters.
He needs to STFU about DeSantis.
And I have been an avid Trump supporter - but I will criticize anyone who does dumb #.

However, this is standard behavior for Trump.... so I don't think he's going to "knock it off."

And this is the kind of rant that he does that energizes the crowd, so it's a feedback loop. Speeches where he can't complain about witch hunts and say unkind things about people he feels deserve a "slagging" are usually described as "low key" and "low energy" and "not up to his usual."

I believe the behavior is too ingrained. I don't think he'll be able to change it in the long term.

I don't disagree. But I would still tell him to his face to knock it off. lol

I just want the country fixed. May the best person for the job win. If that is even possible.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: watchitburn
Are you suggesting that the government should punish corporations for exercising their 1st Amendment constitutional rights?

Contrary to what some black robed nincompoops said, a legal fiction doesn't have Constitutional Rights. As a creature of The State, it has privileges bestowed by said State. And yes, what The State giveth, The State can taketh away.

That said - you are aware that they aren't being punished, they are simply having some SPECIAL privileges enjoyed by NO OTHER PRIVATE OR PUBLIC CORP revoked. Big diff.

Fascist much?

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
DeSantis is making all the right moves for an eventual move to running for POTUS.

Low hanging fruit on a tree in his backyard.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Contrary to what some black robed nincompoops said

Those "nincompoops" are SCOTUS. Until THEY say otherwise, Disney does have 1st Amendment rights.

That said - you are aware that they aren't being punished

Not according to the poster that I was responding to.

they are simply having some SPECIAL privileges enjoyed by NO OTHER PRIVATE OR PUBLIC CORP revoked

You're wrong.

Put another way, special districts are units of local, special-purpose government. They are similar to municipalities and counties. The main difference, according to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, are municipalities and counties have broad powers and provide local general governmental services; while special districts have local specialized government services and have limited, related, and explicitly prescribed powers."

How many special districts are in the state of Florida?
According to the Florida DEO, there are currently 1,844 special districts across the state.

www.abcactionnews.com...
floridajobs.org...

lci.fsu.edu...

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

The mini evil Vatican wannabe is now accountable to the people.

Where did they go wrong?

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: iamthevirus

Oh yeah! Florida is a real "Robin Hood" now, taking from the rich and giving to the poor.
Yep, sure! The government is there to make sure the rich corporations are accountable to the little people!
Count on it!
/sarc

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Those "nincompoops" are SCOTUS. Until THEY say otherwise, Disney does have 1st Amendment rights.

No, they have privileges that appear to be Rights. Doesn't change the fact they are mere privileges.

Proof? They had to be ubestowed by the black-robed nincompoops.

You're wrong.
How many special districts are in the state of Florida?

You do know their 'special district status' is only one of many privileges that are being revoked, right? Like their special tax breaks?

Anyway, you go ahead and keep believing legal fictions are the same as people, and I'll just remain sane.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   

No, they have privileges that appear to be Rights. Doesn't change the fact they are mere privileges.

Well, you certainly have the right to be wrong, which you are.

Look, you can stomp your feet in disgust all you like, but Citizen's United" is real, and nobody was more against its consequences that Democrats, who are still trying to pass a constitutional amendment to repeal it.
thehill.com...

I can guarantee you that whatever happens down there in Florida, Disney will continue to get rich and the Florida tax payers will continue to get screwed 7 ways from Sunday. DeSantis aint no "Robin Hood".

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I Don't pay a state income tax, how am i being screwed? In fact the state has ordered my county to return over 500 million dollars of improperly/illegally collected sales tax. Still trying to figure out how.

Can you explain to me and other Florida tax payers how we are being screwed??
I said as much myself that Disney was not going anywhere.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well, well, well. It appears he didn't stomp a thing. He repealed the law that was to go into effect on June 1st. That didn't stop him from spreading falsehoods about Disney though.

Monday’s law cancels the scheduled dissolution of a special taxing district for the 25,000 acres owned by Disney south of Orlando, which lawmakers passed and DeSantis signed into law over a three-day span last April.

DeSantis and his allies said that Disney should not be given special privileges. But an unintended consequence of last April’s law was to transfer Disney’s outstanding debt onto the 700,000 homeowners and businesses in Orange and Osceola counties.

Had that law taken effect on June 1 as scheduled, their tax bills would have increased by thousands of dollars per year until 2038, when the bonds the Reedy Creek Improvement District issued to pay for roads and other public works on Disney property would finally be paid off.

The bill DeSantis signed into law Monday repeals last April’s Disney law and gives him and future governors the task of appointing the board for Disney’s taxing district, which was renamed the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District. It otherwise leaves untouched the district’s ability to issue bonds to pay for improvements on Disney property.

DeSantis claimed that Disney would finally be forced to pay its “fair share” that it avoided in the past. “You had infrastructure feeding into the theme park that was paid for by all the citizens of Central Florida, and Disney really got a free ride on that. Now they can be taxed for that,” he said.

In fact, Disney property has one of the highest total tax rates in the state. It pays all the taxes due to the counties and school boards for its acreage, and then pays additional “mills” for roads, water and sewage, utilities, and fire and police protection on its own property.

At another point, DeSantis suggested that Disney’s spending on its own infrastructure had burdened Florida taxpayers. “They were able to get huge amounts of benefits without paying their fair share of taxes, and even racked up $700 million of municipal debt,” he said.

In reality, Disney’s bond debt is paid only by taxpayers within the Reedy Creek Improvement District boundaries ― in other words, Disney itself, except for a few small parcels it has sold to hotels.

DeSantis Repeals Law

ETA: If he came up with the original idea on his own and did no due diligence, then that's not a good sign. Other than that, if he was advised to do so, then he's not dealing with the best and brightest. From the minute this was announced there was info out there that the tax payers would be screwed. Took journalists hours to find that info. But he was so concerned with screwing "woke" Disney, he was going to screw over everybody else.
edit on 27-2-2023 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1

Governor DeSantis

spoke at a Jan. 12 press conference at the The Villages. “Disney no longer have its own government,” DeSantis said. “Disney will live under the same laws as anybody else, and Disney will pay the debts and taxes—and that’s exactly what’s going to happen.”
Previously, Walt Disney Company enjoyed, through its independent Reedy Creek Improvement District municipality, special privileges. Past legislation gave Disney powers beyond regular municipalities. Disney World opened Oct. 1, 1971, and ran its park and other businesses inside its municipality, including fire, police and other public safety functions without elections or outside interference.
The company’s Disney-appointed board seized private property through eminent domain, issued no-bid contracts, and operating exempt from the regulatory reviews that apply to other businesses in the state.
All that ends when Governor DeSantis signs the bill into law.

I don't understand DeSantist. First, he says that "...Disney no longer have its own government....Disney will live under the same laws as anybody else, and Disney will pay the debts and taxes...."

But lots of businesses have their own local "government". That's what a "funding authority" is; and Disney and Florida agreed on Disney getting a good deal of taxes and fees, so that Florida could get a piece of the Disney action in Florida. And Disney is paying its "debts and taxes", just like it agreed to; the only difference is that DeSantis is either just greedy and wants to re-negotiate, or it could be a way to get back at Disney's acceptance of the LGBT stuff which DeSantis doesn't approve of ...

... or maybe this is just a tip of his hat to his new and big base: the authoritarian nationalist sympathizers. Ironic that these feelings of anger/guilt/patriotism/fear/pride which drive so much political theater today are the same as many of those adopted by the liberal communities all throughout the 1960's through the 2010's.

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

posted on Mar, 29 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Whoops! The mouse outsmarted DeSantis yet again. The board will have its hands tied for decades due to a new signed pact by the current board.

Ahead of an expected state takeover, the Walt Disney Co. quietly pushed through the pact and restrictive covenants that would tie the hands of future board members for decades, according to a legal presentation by the district’s lawyers on Wednesday.

DeSantis' new board is not happy and wants lawyers to look into it.

“All agreements signed between Disney and the district were appropriate and were discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law,” an unsigned company statement read.

DeSantis’ office did not respond to a request for comment.

Orlando Sentinel
edit on 29-3-2023 by frogs453 because: Forgot link

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Disney has filed a lawsuit against DeSantis and a number of other people in Florida's government.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You can read it here. It is seeking an injunction for what it claims is government retaliation for its free speech.

Document Cloud

Did he ever even consider what he would be up against with Disney lawyers?

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

I must have missed the clause in the Constitution that gives Disney the right to form its own government.
Municipal governments exist at the pleasure of the state. Disney can sue if it wants, but it doesn't have a leg to stand on. DeSantis will win the lawsuit.

Moreover, I'm wondering just why Disney is so desperate to keep its little fiefdom going. Wouldn't prudence suggest seeking some kind of deal with DeSantis, maybe agree to pay half the property taxes they should be paying in exchange for Disney not publicly siding with pedophiles?

This suggests that there's probably something going on at Disneyworld that they're trying to keep hidden.
edit on 26-4-2023 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Oh #tals.

Hahahaha this’ll be fun.

Go Disney! I’m so glad people are fighting back.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

You have to go back to the mid to late 60s to when Disney petitioned the state government for the special district. It was granted and in 1967, the Reedy Creek Improvement District was created.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453
Like I said, that district existed because the state of Florida allowed it to exist, and it can cease to exist just as easily.
Municipal governments don't have rights.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   
By the way, according to this Breitbart article, Disney filed suit after the new oversite board voted to void Disney's last-minute Hail-Mary agreement that let The Mouse keep control until a billion years after King Charles' descendants crumble to dust (or however that went).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join