It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Plan To Feed Primary School Children Locusts And Mealworms To Make The UK Greener

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep
Don't know about cattle vs insects but yeast has got to be one of the most efficient sources of protein.

It is a complete protein, lends itself to industrial processing, it is already a thing and doesn't have as much of a yuck factor as insects do.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
Don't know about cattle vs insects but yeast has got to be one of the most efficient sources of protein.

It is a complete protein, lends itself to industrial processing, it is already a thing and doesn't have as much of a yuck factor as insects do.

But does it taste good?
And bring variety of dishes?

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog

No, I am not stating it as fact more of a question that I don't know. I think insects can be and are a viable dietary source in some instances.

My argument is lets say you take a pound of beef how many insects are needed to equate to the same caloric values of that beef and what does it take to provide that many insects? I don't know the answer and would be interested to know and I would assume that different insects would be different as well such as crickets vs meal worms.

Is it feasible for a school to offer the same type of caloric needs when compared with lets say beef in the example or would it take a bunch of insects like several boxes and what is that cost when compared to beef?

I cannot find a story regarding this but i am assuming the insects being grown for this are being grown in some kind of lab environment and not in uncle Jim's garage so there would be some cost to that which could be difficult to track if it is a large lab.

I could be wrong but I would assume that the scientists in the op would have done some research into this. Maybe that's why they picked locusts and meal worms and not say crickets and wasps?

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
But does it taste good?
And bring variety of dishes?

Taste is subjective. For example marmite and vegemite or two brands of spreads made from yeast extract and some people love them and others hate them. But those have other ingredients and a lot of salt. Also, I think they are made from leftover brewer's yeast from beer makers which means it probably has some of the bitterness of the hops used in the wort.

The yeast sold as flakes is said to be nutty and cheesy. Vegans often use it to make "cheese" sauce, to replace parmesan sprinkled over pasta and also sprinkle it over popcorn.

Honestly, I have never tasted the spreads or the flakes because they are not sold where I live but if you look at a lot of dry soup bases and stuff like that they often use powdered yeast extract, supposedly, because it adds a meaty type of umami.
edit on 31-5-2022 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   

And perhaps its better to eat insects rather than animals who have a much higher capacity to experience suffering.

I dont know if insects feel pain, but it seems it would be better than eating animals.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   
That’s a the work of what I call the Anti-pleasure Division. Basically it consists in the reactionary conspirators trying to ruin all human pleasures. In this case, they are trying to ruin the pleasure of enjoying a meal by associating unpleasant images to the concept of food.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Yeah , they Will get No REAL Food and Like It Along with being Brainwashed to be Grateful too , Eh Boris ? . MORE Bugs Sir Please..........

edit on 31-5-2022 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:47 PM
link   

May this end about as well as Michelle Obama's diet initiative - with the food mostly all in the trash and hungry children and angry parents.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yeast, fake meat and bugs ...

We'll be eating like Cyberpunk soon: fake kibble made by Purina, SCOP (single cell organic protein), and soya products.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well if you consume any government sponsored foods , you are & have been eating plenty of bugs .
Enjoy your hot dogs & McRibs , because Im sure those are better than bugs … lol

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: rickymouse

Love snails. Love shrimp. I also like crunchy insects.

If it’s fried even better.

I have had the classic chocolate ants. Delish.

I don’t think I could eat balut.

I think that is definitely my line.

Chocolate ants kind of remind me of eating chocolate covered raisons. I ate quite a few one day at a friends house before they told me they were ants. It didn't bother me, I took some apart to see what they looked like, then ate some more. I did not eat a lot more when they told me the price they paid for them...chocolate covered raisons were a tenth of the price of the ants.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't care what anyone says or whether its 'better' for me or not but no-one is going to convince me to eat fried insects and tofu or anything remotely like it.

I'm too long in the tooth now.....I like my food and don't eat much #e anyway, but I do enjoy the odd double quarter pounder with cheese and fries etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

I used to try eating lots of stuff. Earthworms were not as bad as that Rakfisk or Surströmming. I even swallowed a small smelt live when I caught the first smelt during smelt season....never do that again, when it hit my stomach acid it went wild. Same with fresh clams....swallowing them whole sucks.

I have also tried fried grasshoppers, and wasn't impressed with them when I was a teenager. Now I am in my sixties and my stomach is far from good enough to eat that kind of stuff anymore. But I still eat some raw hamburger occasionally, just a little...but we get our beef from some people we know, it is grass fed organic and aged a couple of weeks...I cannot stomach eating the crap from the grocery store, it tastes greasy and flavorless raw.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Even if you culture cells in a petri dish, they will eat, drink, breath, and create waste products. Alternative proteins are a ghoulish, or, at best, exotic solution -- not a scientific solution.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Holy # I didn't know there are so many evil #heads on ATS who are dyed in the wool pro-NWO.

Eating bugs is outright satanic. There is no good reason to do it and we have more than enough farmland on Earth to feed everyone with meat and plants.

The responses here scare me. You're all bug-eating monsters. Disgusting.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Its brain food, Man! Sounds like a plan to me get em used to it young etc.. Good idea all the way. Its gonna give a whole new meaning to pizza day, but I betcha locust spread is good stuff too.

edit on 1-6-2022 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My suggestion is that they send the would-be Elitists™, Naked-and-Afraid™ style out onto the savannahs of Africa, and film them as they try to convince lions to eat insects instead of gazelles, or...humans...

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin
Lions are 100% carnivores.

Now if you would have said apes it would be apples to apples and they already do eat insects.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

That would be interesting as well !

Good idea !!

We're gonna sell lot's of popcorn man !!

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin
I see, you just want to see that show.

I understand the main reason why, but the naked part?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join