It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Plan To Feed Primary School Children Locusts And Mealworms To Make The UK Greener

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

So they're eating bait instead of fish.

That would be a big "nope" for me.

Bon Appetit!

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

That certainly is one way of looking at it I suppose.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

PE is still compulsory till 16 apparently, wasn't fully enforced when I was there and that was in the rise of the PlayStation and Xbox...

I think what they get up to after school is equally important, snacks and Xbox will make you fat. Energy drinks are a huge contribution too, they were nowhere near as prevalent when I was a kid.

We had a breakfast and sandwich counter before I left and vending machines all over the school, was alright until everything was replaced by healthy stuff... Everyone just started selling multipacks of stuff on the cheap at break. That was a few years before Oliver's tyranny so the idea wasn't novel.

But yeah it's genuinely sad the weight issues these days, kinda needs tackling in youth because the prospects of a healthy life diminish with age.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Can we stop experimenting on the little people please.

As for eating insects meh some are kinda tasty, meal worms hard pass.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened
Good rant.

Still doesn't change the fact that people here never really said:

Yeah, it is all just one big conspiracy theory they said. The WEF and elites don't want you to eat bugs.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Not eating bugs, I will die first..no kidding.

It's OK ,the kids are doing it so we don't have to.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Can we stop experimenting on the little people please.

As for eating insects meh some are kinda tasty, meal worms hard pass.

Those in the WEF who are pushing this should eat it first.

If its safe and effective.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
GMO insects and worms?

Sounds delicious.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If humanity was smarter we would all have been eating insects a long time ago.

And guess what ? Many places on earth do.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
They are insane.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: vonclod
Not eating bugs, I will die first..no kidding.

It's OK ,the kids are doing it so we don't have to.

Thank god for those kids, they are very much welcome to my share!

It's all good if people want to eat em, or do, but I'm picky to begin with..it just won't work for me.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CptGreenTea

Because are very healthy and packed full of nutrition.

www.edibleinsects.com...

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Many do because they are an easier source of protein that what would normally be available. Why eat bugs/insects when you can grow or source other sources of protein that feed more people for less work involved and or less space. No disrespect for people that choose and love to eat insects because its a legitimate food source.

People all over the world eat different sources of protein because that is what available to them for various reasons. People shouldn't be forced to eat something if a viable alternative is there that they would prefer to eat. People eat rats and dogs to for protein should we start ranching dogs and rats to replace cattle or pigs? For a smaller population it may work but I don't see how it is practical to get the same caloric need from insects when compared to "Traditional" protein sources.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

www.edibleinsects.com...

Sure, some species contain plenty of nutrients....maybe even some of the variety that, once ingested, will kill you or make you violently ill.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   

You understand that meat from a cow can have parasites and all kinds of nasty things in it that can kill or make a person ill right?

We do a lot to our meat to make sure it is safe. So of course this safety would extend to any food product, including insects.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

feed more people for less work involved

Can you prove this?

Give me a break down , pound for pound, of what it takes to make 1 pound of ground beef vs 1 pound of ground insects of equal nutritional value. Include things like the amount of antibiotics and the food/water that the insect/animal needs. Include area of land needed to house and feed each one.

Should be easy. Because you must have already done the research into this if your making statements like this.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   

www.edibleinsects.com...

So is liver, but I'm not going to eat it
. Food should be something you enjoy.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   

You understand that meat from a cow can have parasites and all kinds of nasty things in it that can kill or make a person ill right?

We do a lot to our meat to make sure it is safe. So of course this safety would extend to any food product, including insects.

Just about any fresh food source that has more than a negligible amount of nutrients, if not handled/stored properly, can go bad or suffer a parasitic infestation. That's different than being intrinsically toxic/poisonous. As far as I know, there are no ungulates that will kill you simply from eating them, irrespective of how carefully they were looked after and prepared for eating.

I'm glad you're confident that the Q&C of these insect farms will be on the level of large meat plants in the U.S. By the way, where are these insect farms located? Are they under FDA purview?

But nobody is really debating that there are some nutritious, even tasty bugs out there. If you or your buddies or anyone wants to eat insects all day, everyday, have at it. When deviant P.o.S. control freaks figure that maybe they can start off school age children (!?!) on a "bug pilot program" to influence their parents to make a switch, that is crossing the line. Most mentally competent adults I know are able to select their meal choices just fine without bureaucrats targeting their children for some kind of food conversion crusade.

ETA

Some information about bug farming, and how it "may" solve "one problem" (you know, cow farts making the ice caps melt! zzzOMFG!) bug create others.

Farm ing insects may solve one problem but create others, scientists warn

ROME (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Insects have great potential as an alternative source of protein, but further research is urgently needed before mass production begins in order to avoid environment disaster, Swedish researchers warned Monday.

There is currently an “overwhelming lack of knowledge” on basic questions such as suitable species, their housing and feed requirements, managing their waste and that escaping insects do not wreak havoc on the ecosystem, they said.

Unless such issues are studied and discussed in a critical manner, “we risk creating an industry that replaces one environmental problem with another,” they wrote in the journal Trends in Ecology & Evolution.

edit on 31-5-2022 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

No, I am not stating it as fact more of a question that I don't know. I think insects can be and are a viable dietary source in some instances.

My argument is lets say you take a pound of beef how many insects are needed to equate to the same caloric values of that beef and what does it take to provide that many insects? I don't know the answer and would be interested to know and I would assume that different insects would be different as well such as crickets vs meal worms.

Is it feasible for a school to offer the same type of caloric needs when compared with lets say beef in the example or would it take a bunch of insects like several boxes and what is that cost when compared to beef?

I cannot find a story regarding this but i am assuming the insects being grown for this are being grown in some kind of lab environment and not in uncle Jim's garage so there would be some cost to that which could be difficult to track if it is a large lab.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: VierEyes

"Soylent Green" anyone?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join