It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Plan To Feed Primary School Children Locusts And Mealworms To Make The UK Greener

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Pupils at four primary schools in Wales are to be offered insects to eat as part of a project to gauge children’s appetite for “alternative protein” such as crickets, grasshoppers, silkworms, locusts and mealworms.

As this has met the news cycle, one can easily suppose that the parents of the students in these four primary schools are also aware of this exploratory program. The article provide by the new outlet clearly states, not that they will be fed, which suggests being forced to eat, but rather offered the opportunity.

So if it is ok with the parents, who are we to get all riled up over their children's taste preferences?

yeah that's fine.

everyone get on the bug train.

that will leave more meat for the rest of us.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm an old fashioned omnivore.

Red meat is a luxury, an occassional treat.

Love chicken and fish.

Mainly subsist on carbohydrates and the occassional fruit and veggies.

I tried an Impossible Burger at Burger King and it made me vomit, but the Veggie Garden Burgers from Morning Star are AWESOME.

Can't do soy, makes me sick.

Cockroach milk? No friggin' way.

I won't eat crawdads because I used to play with them in muddy streams as a kid and they're like friends to me.

I couldn't bring myself to eat insects even if it was a survival situation.

I'd sooner gnaw on a tuber or root or some acorn mash.

I don't think I'd do very well in Starfleet if I had to eat Ferengi Tubeworms or Klingon Gak.

Maybe they have provisions for dietary requirements and are just trying to be inclusive.

Maybe these new kids are looking forward to the new menu?

edit on 5/31/22 by GENERAL EYES because: minor additions, grammar

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 03:33 AM
link   
My Grandson is 11 years old....not a force on earth that could make him eat anything like that.
And I know I wouldn't force him as I wouldn't eat it myself.....no amount of spin could convince me to eat insects and bugs.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Well this is just proof the reptilians are taking over.

You will all eat the food of Lizards. You will source your dinner from the aquarium at a pet store in little air filled plastic bags.

But not be a total unadventurous American.

Fried grasshoppers are actually pretty good street food. Probably one of the most common street foods everywhere in Asia.

This idea is stupid though. Plant protein is fine if they want goo. They dont need to try to be trendsetters in 'entogastronomy'.

My High School served grilled soy burgers in the 90's and we didnt care because they were $1.00 a piece.

Not that school food has ever been really known for its nutrition:

edit on 31-5-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 04:43 AM
link   

I don’t like crickets, oh no... I love them, oh yeah...

Seriously this is really about going after farmers so they can “re-wild” the land. Except they don’t realise that by doing that they will in fact destroy habitats of much wild life as before the last 200 years humanity and natural habitats have evolved and co existed together over the millennia.

Sure protect the rainforests but planting palm oil only makes the problem worse.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   
If i like the taste of something then i am gonna eat it. No matter if mini or huge animals, no matter if green stuff like leafy greens, veggies and fruits or even tree bark. It just has to be prepared the right way and to taste good. As an omnivore i will have better chances to eat everything if SHTF anyway.

Cheers

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Scientists Plan To Feed Primary School Children Locusts And Mealworms To Make The UK Greener

When i was a lad dinner school food was just plain nasty(with a few notable exceptions) but not that fecking nasty.

See if they wish to implement crap like this, i suggest they start with the private schools, because fact of the matter is austerity and child poverty being so prevalent in the UK right now, the school meal is just about the only one some of the poor wee sausages get.
edit on 31-5-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Think about the transition.

“Free” school lunches.

Goes from cheap quality to the very cheapest quality.
Then bugs.
Parents feel so removed from it they don’t even think about it.

That is like most things. The change is so slow, so insidious, and before you know it our kids are eating bugs and fake bleeding burgers…

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: rickymouse

Love snails. Love shrimp. I also like crunchy insects.

If it’s fried even better.

I have had the classic chocolate ants. Delish.

I don’t think I could eat balut.

I think that is definitely my line.

ha ha, balut is my red line too.

but it is the background pic in my avitar.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

That guy was the kid who used to eat mud pies.

At least cook the nasty little buggers first.

Earth worms sound a little too much like a natural gusher to me.

I can eat crunchy. I don’t like gooey.
edit on 31-5-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: infolurker
Yeah, it is all just one big conspiracy theory they said. The WEF and elites don't want you to eat bugs.

I don't recall anyone saying that.

I remember some people saying it isn't a big deal and others saying "give me beef or give me death" or something like that.

^^^ This is pretty much the standard refrain from the sheep.

These people openly admit that they're now down to micromanaging your meal planning. Quote from the article in the OP:

Children are to be fed bugs as part of a plan to get a new generation to switch from meat to insects – and persuade their parents to follow their lead.

Um, actually....no. I won't be "persuaded" to eat bugs. I might eat them of my own volition. But I won't be persuaded...convinced...coerced.

Who TF put these people in charge of deciding what I or my children eat or don't eat.

It surprises me that there are members here who might think mass-scale behavioral manipulation is "no big deal". I mean...we're not talking about getting large swaths of the population to give up cigarettes or alcohol. We're discussing what appears to be a plan to remove meat from other peoples' diets. And this is not even a conspiracy; plenty of evidence at this point that this is actually happening.

Again, did we vote on this or maybe it was a debate point in an election I missed?

I'm not sure there is a lower form of life than militant "green" people who take it upon themselves to remove meat from YOUR diet.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

School dinners tended to be either very nice or truly disgusting.
Some of the puddings were delicious and I've often wished I could have some now....but the sago, tapioca, semolina etc were inedible....on a par with jellied eels!

The main courses left a lot to be desired - me and my mates used to nip out to the local shops and get some chips etc....and often have a bit of a scrap with the other near-by comprehensive....a different world back then.

School dinners must have improved.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

I've just had to google balut....there isn't enough money in the world to get me to eat that, I was nearly borking just looking at photo's!

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   

hell they might as well throw some eye of newt, lizzard tails and bat wings in there.
all good things for a growing child.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Don't forget to wear a pointy hat and laugh like a witch, when you prepare the meals, it will give a nice touch.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

That's about my assessment of dinner school food also, my favorite was the rice pudding and cake.

The meals improved when i was leaving school about 3rd year or 4th year, reassembling a sub-par McDonalds or the like.

Then Jamie Oliver and his minions appeared and put pail to that notion, they all went pretentious and nutritional.

I went to the chippie myself most days, sold/swapped the dinner ticket or gave it away.

Here's the thing i don't understand, wads of more fat obese unhealthy children about these days to the tune of about half and half in some places.

Whereas when i was at school, and eating out of chippys, or Greggs, every day of the week, there was only about 5 or 6 fat people in the entire year.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You can bet the elite won't be eating bugs, only the peasants.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

singing,

Double, double toil and trouble,
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

edit on 31-5-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: sarahvital

I've just had to google balut....there isn't enough money in the world to get me to eat that, I was nearly borking just looking at photo's!

Your’e welcome 🤣

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I would be interested in how many insects will it take to feed these schools on a daily basis and in order to get these bugs what do you need to feed them? There is a reason why the farmland in the Midwest grows Corn and beans rather than lettuce. While lettuce grows fast and is relatively easy to grow it spoils fast and is not calorically dense like grains are. What is the caloric density of these insects and how much do the kids need to east to get the same caloric intake of a "regular" lunch item?

Its really a sad situation that we are asking these schools to provide meals for our kids in the first place. When I was a kid all of the items I ate at school were cooked on school grounds and were actually pretty good for the most part. Now my kids have food shipped to them from the main district center even though the schools have full kitchen nothing is prepared there and the selection and nutritional value sucks. Once again relying on the government to provide food is heading down a strange road and we are the ones to blame for allowing it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join