It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are too many rules and regulations messing up the world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Are too many rules and regulations sucking the fun out of the world?

Ever just want to let go of all the rules and regulations, and have a good ole time?

What are all these rules and regulations doing? They are cramping our styles in my opinion.

The world is supposed to be chill, not loaded with a bunch of rules and regulations.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Claymation213

Rules are necessary or you have anarchy and no civilization.

But yes, oppressive rules and rules that make no sense other than to enrich or benefit the rule makers are a huge problem currently.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Rules aren't real.

We just believe they are.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Those that just want to have fun have screwed up too much for those that now can't.

There HAS to be a sense of individual responsibility for when and where others are concerned but alas, this is why we have crazy rules forced upon us ALL.

Sorry your "style" is being "cramped". When your freedoms feel like that, perhaps it's time to be more realistic about your entitlements instead of placing goalposts where you want them so you can keep playing games at the expense of others.

Interesting that so many of your early threads are demanding things from others. You like questioning don't you so others fill in blanks as opposed to offering your own opinions up front for comment. Are you afraid of scrutiny?

Oh well, good luck controlling the narrative, I hope that evolves the older you get.

And where is it written that the world is "supposed to be chilled"?

Life is what YOU make it. Sunshine.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Maybe…

Lower speed limit in a school zone… that’s a rule

Canceled for miss gendering someone… also a rule..

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's the insurance companies and their conjured up liabilities that sucked the fun out of everything. I remember swimming and fishing holes that was not blocked by stones, logs or gates. I remember sledding, merry go rounds and monkey bars on playgrounds. I remember being in the bed of a pickup while it was moving down the road. I remember bench seats in cars where your girl would be sitting right next to you and you had your arm around her.

There are so many things the insurance pigs have taken from us that it's ghastly.
edit on 27-3-2022 by INnEedOfgOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: INnEedOfgOD

It’s actually people getting injured and filing lawsuits that ruined your fun.
Little Jonny falls off the monkey bars and breaks his leg…. Half a million dollar lawsuit against the property owner.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That's right, but not like they forced you. We are all too willing to sacrifice a little freedom for that promise of security. But oh no.... look the evil monster of anarchy has been invoked already. you get it? without rules we're all going to die. So let's keep on making rules until our everyday live is dictated by dos and don'ts

edit on 27-3-2022 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: INnEedOfgOD

It’s actually people getting injured and filing lawsuits that ruined your fun.
Little Jonny falls off the monkey bars and breaks his leg…. Half a million dollar lawsuit against the property owner.
Because the insurance companies created the liability in the 1st place. All the things I mention where status quo for years and years, many before I was born. What changed so quick in my lifetime? Insurance companies lobbing the government for more regulations and liabilities that generate more profits for them and take away our livelihoods. And it's just getting worse and worse.
edit on 27-3-2022 by INnEedOfgOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm inclined to agree. Some rules are common sense but others not so much. It's the non common sense rules that we are drowning in.

An example in our local farming rules... I can't sell meat I butcher. It has to go to the nearby government processors. Ok, seems fair enough on the surface. Where it gets stupid is, I cannot invite my extended family over to eat the meat I butcher, but anyone who lives on my land can eat it. So again, this is said to be for food safety rules and on the surface seems quasi logical but the glaring difference is that I can go hunt or fish, process the meat myself and serve it to anyone who comes to my house. There is nothing about care in handling/storage in those cases so it isn't about that. It's about protecting big agriculture. Some rules are just stupid.

I do think a lot of it goes back to insurance companies, as some small farmers have gotten big hikes in home insurance rates for selling eggs at the end of their driveway. Always fearmongering, always profiteering.

Where I live we were the last place without building permits and new policy got pushed through in the name of safety but when looked closer at, most of it just served the building trades. It is now not ok to mill logs from your own land for building with simply because some government agency hasn't gotten paid to put it's stamp on it. It doesn't matter that the milled wood might be from much older/better trees than the terrible, high priced lumber in the stores. Same with using reclaimed building materials like doors/windows as they are not "certified" under some new climate change program. Never mind that they might have survived a century and be infinitely better made than modern crap, but those who use them are denying the window, door, lumber corporations their cut and will pay for it if found out. Big business/big bs.

Personal responsibility comes into all areas of life and I think most people do a fair job. Accidents happen but they shouldn't be forcing us to choose safety over freedom, especially at the small nuanced level that supports corporate interests.

edit on 27-3-2022 by igloo because: forgot a word

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

STOP!

You're making to much sense, some folks can't handle the truth.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Claymation213
Are too many rules and regulations sucking the fun out of the world?

Ever just want to let go of all the rules and regulations, and have a good ole time?

What are all these rules and regulations doing? They are cramping our styles in my opinion.

The world is supposed to be chill, not loaded with a bunch of rules and regulations.

Rules are implemented in an attempt to prevent and/or minimize conflict between individuals. If you could live entirely alone and nothing you did could have any effect on someone else then there would be no need for rules. But as soon as people start living together in large numbers, there are inevitably conflicting needs and desires that arise from multiple people trying to use the same resources, if nothing else. Let's say you love dogs. If you live out in the country with no neighbors close by you can have all the dogs you want and pretty much let them do whatever they want and almost no one will complain. If you live in an apartment in a high rise building your dog will keep neighbors awake at night, bite pedestrians, and defecate on the sidewalk. A lot of people will object to you keeping a dog in those circumstances.

Furthermore, if you think about it, the greater the number of people living in proximity to each other (population density), the larger the number of conflicts there will be, since there will simply be more contacts between people per hour, per day, per week, etc.

The Assyrian king Hammurabi apparently figured this out around 4,000 years ago when he ruled over Babylon which may have been the largest city on the planet at the time. One of the functions of a king is to hold court, to hear complaints from the subjects and then render judgement. If you're the ruler over a clan of maybe 20 people, you could probably keep up with resolving conflicts one at a time without it taking up all your time. Hammurabi ruled over 200,000 people, so there would not possibly be enough hours in the day to deal with all the conflicts, individually. So he wrote down (chiseled in stone, actually) how he would decide most of the common cases that would come before him and told the people to follow the rules if they wanted to stay out of trouble. Break into someone else's house and the homeowner can kill you. Accuse someone of murder and you can't prove it, and you will be executed. Loan a merchant some silver for a business deal, and the merchant has to pay it back, even if the deal goes sour. And so on.

with 8 billion people in the world and modern technology, the ability of people to generate conflicts has grown exponentially since the days of Hammurabi. I operate a coal fired plant to generate the electricity I need in my state and the acid rain it produces kills the fish you were planning on eating in your state. And so on.

Increasing levels of centralized regulation of human behavior is the inevitable result of population increase.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 04:38 PM
link   
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

Other than rules protecting people, their property, life, rules to prohibit actual crime, I say get rid of all regulation, no legislation, no contract.

Too old to give a fig about cramped style, never too old to have a happy childhood.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: teapotTotally makes sense to me, so why all the division? Could it be a trial of tribes that are not meant to or able to be conjoined together in anecdotal societal way perhaps? No?

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Rules should exist to protect people from infringement on their person or property. Other rules are generally unjust and to be ignored or circumvented.

new topics

top topics

join