It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscars.....time to cancel permanently

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Anyone else hoping Jussie Smollett's Lynch All The white Conservatives wins Best Picture?

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Saw a static ad for this with Amy Schumer and knew right away my lifelong commitment to never watching this nonsense was correct.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I didn't hear about "oskar" a few years ago now. Maybe just don't watch TV and you have nothing to be enraged about.

It's simple, ours is not plugged in most of the time and only is when we watch a movie or documentary. Try it, you won't believe how much easier your life is, because all the BS goes unnoticed by you.

You complain about oskars, yet you sit in front of a device that enables them.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Haven't bothered with any of the "entertainment" award ceremonies for decades, for all the reasons already given.

An industry patting itself on the back, for another year of rubbing their # in our faces. Speaks for itself.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: ketsuko

Drama was where the talent used to be, now the more the graphics the better the picture since the Star wars this all it matters now, no talent anymore, just a good body and a pretty face that will look good in front of the green screen.

That's not always true, either. A lot of the actors and actresses that do the art films do the bigger budget fare, so the talent is spread around. I think the simple, snobbish presumption is that big budget popular fare just isn't worth the look for the best acting, screen writing, etc., and I don't think that's always true.

Sure, there's a lot, and I do mean a lot of big budget schlock, but I think some real quality flies under the radar because it comes in a big budget package.

One time they clearly got it right was with Titanic. Everyone loves to bag on it, but everyone knows it, and the film making was high quality.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It is and has never been anything more than a big circle-jerk. They mostly consider themselves some kind of royal class and clearly the rest of us are, for the vast majority of them, just peasants. Why anybody would denigrate himself or herself to worship at their altar of narcissism is beyond me. I almost feel sorry for the "star-struck" plebes; almost, but really I feel disdain more than anything else.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yeah this looks like it it's gonna be super fun -

HARD pass

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   

So you're mad something exists that you have no intention of participating in? Lol.

I've never watched one. I won't watch this one. Who cares?

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think part of the problem is with current trends in media. The things we tend to see are really more like medieval morality plays for the modern Woke ethos. To that end, they don't really tell what most of us think of as good stories anymore, but the ones who mimic morality plays the best are what's considered art and win the awards.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I hardly even watch new American films when they come out. It would be like me watching the PGA Awards, yea I watch the Masters sometimes but that's about it.

I think in 2021 I watched 4 films that were released in 2021 Dune, Spiderman, Matrix, Nobody, and No Time to Die. Dune and Nobody were pretty good, Spiderman was as good as those movies get, Matrix and No Time to Die were disappointments. Ive tried some others but they just didn't hold my interest. However. I finally watched Memento this year and it was an excellent flick. Why gamble on something that Im not part of the demographics and probably stinks anyway?

Otherwise, it was binge-watching a few TV shows or watching much older movies Ive been meaning too watch and never got a chance to.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Eh, it's a symptom, not the issue.

We've had subtle or blatant undertones since WWII. And we've lost the artistic side of film with the advent of CGI. Instead of character development, dialogue, and rich storyline that dig at what it means to be part of the human experience we get explosions and cinematics.

But that's what people pay to see, and that's why I've checked out of cable and a bunch of other stuff for a long time.

The history Channel has about as much to do with history as CNN with news.

But it's not all down and out. Everyonce in a while I see something that still moves me. Like JoJo Rabbit. That movie made me laugh, cry, and think deeply. Truly a great.
edit on 27-3-2022 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I keep thinking that we'll go one of two ways with CGI - either we'll back off and go back to a more realistic mix of practical and CGI, or it will develop to the point where it's all CGI and the only direct human involvement will be in the voice acting, possibly some movement tracking ala Andy Serkis.

Either way, I think it will be an improvement over the polyglut (intentional misspelling) we have now.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:40 PM
link   

To me the best parts are when the subtleties come through a human actor. They embody the role and it comes through in their body language and expressions. Or you can hear the pain in their voice. I just don't see CGI being able to go that... But then again, a lot of new advancements go through an ugly duck phase, so it's hard to tell.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   
You can cancel the Oscars yourself by not watching them. Don't tell other people what to do.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Lol touchy subject! It’s a lot of hype for people who play pretend for a living and then use their ‘platform of fame’ to tell us all how much they care for the popular social issues.
Remember at the start of C’vid when a group sang “Imagine” to try and relate to us little people.
Blah
Movies are far from what they used to be, I like the thread and it’s far more entertaining than watching gold statues being drooled over!
CUT and END SCENE

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The first award was just announced, Best Documentary went to Angry Geezers Lament The Advent Of Talkies, Wish Hollywood Would STFU.

It was apparently clip after clip of whiners saying stuff like, "Fiddleefloo. Back in my day we didn't have no special eeee-fex, if you needed a scene where someone was on fire you just doused them with gasoline and flung a match on them. Forget about fire extinguishers! Not even invented. And we liked it. We loved it."

edit on 27-3-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I stopped watching pretty much everything except some sports when actors and actresses became political mouthpieces for the insane Left.

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think many of you are jealous that you are not as happy and successful as they are.

Honestly you people are ridiculous!

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
And to top it off...today's movies, for the most part suck!

Don't tell me you plan on watching the Oscars?

I never have as I recall, perhaps bits and pieces here and there but never an actual bullet point on my yearly itinerary.

Anyone seen the movie "Death on the Nile"? You'd think they'd stick to reality, but alas, somehow modern "wokeness" was alive and well during this time period so they HAD to add in the usual racial pandering and homosexuality. It's almost as if every movie now has to have climate, sex, race, casual drug use, CIGARETTES AND ALCOHOL use as a required format for production.

"The Oscars".........LOL.

All Hollywood does is pump out propaganda films and programs. (The new "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movie is absolutely NAUSEATING! If you can survive the first 20 minutes, I'm concerned for your mental well-being. Seriously.)

Oscars? Lol, I don't even have cable by choice, so obviously no..

posted on Mar, 27 2022 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Yeah, I don't watch the Oscars... or any of their awards shows. I don't know of any industry that gives themselves so many darn awards for accomplishing so darn little.

But instead of the Oscars, we can watch this again!

This is one of the few things I enjoy every time I watch it! Pure genius. Ricky deserves an award for it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join