It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I think devil eggs are pretty easy to make. The key is the extra step of pushing the yolks through a tamis. This makes them extra smooth with no lumps. Nobody wants a lumpy deviled egg.

Here is one recipe I like.

Makes 24 deviled eggs.

12 whole boiled eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon piri piri sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped dill
Zest and Juice 1 lemon
1 shallot chopped fine

Push the yolks through a tamis or sieve.
Combine all ingredients. Put mix into a pastry bag. Use large star tip. Dust with paprika if one so desires or go crazy and use tobiko.

edit on 16-4-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Food brains

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Never realy thought about this until I started reading this thread. Since I just made hard boiled eggs I thought I'd share a couple things. I noticed the few eggs with crack peeled easier than the uncracked eggs. the film in cracked eggs seems to cling more to the shell than the egg white, so I think next time I'm going to try the pinhole in the eggs. Second if the shell is uncracked, ti a marginally easier to start peeling from the small end . Not sure why...

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman
Anything one could use as a sub for the pastry bag?
I've heard plastic Ziploc bags used for piping....

Also, what could I use for piri piri?

edit on Sun Apr 17 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: Damn autocorrect😈

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I don't get why this is so hard, no pun intended. The only thing salt does is make the water boil hotter, doesn't do any flavoring or make the water boil faster.

Get water boiling, a little salt just for the hell of it, drop eggs gently, wait 12 minutes and there you have it.

Maybe its just me but I get a perfect hard boiled every time.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 04:22 PM
link   

The most important thing is the star tip. You can of course use a ziplock bag instead of buying pastry bags.

Piri is pretty delicious. You can even find it at Walmart.

Replace piri piri with any hot sauce.

I don’t know if this has been discussed in the thread but my my two ways of slicing eggs are as follows. I either get my knife hot using running hot water to prevent the yolks from sticking to the blade or I use cheese wire.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

The boiled part I get.

The peeling part was my issue. After the egg is refrigerated, it does not peel easily. Like they did 40 years ago.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Yeah, the star tip would be festive.
But, as long as it is easier than spooning it as I used to do, I'll stick with the storage bag.

Good to know on the piri piri. Hot sauce, even a little is not going to happen.
Maybe a wee bit of horseradish?

I must have been lucky, or something.
Slicing in half has never been an issue.....at least with hard-boiled.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Horseradish of course would be fine. Horseradish and mayo are a perfect fit. I mentioned tobiko. You could even do dabs of wasabi on the yolk as a finishing touch.

I want to talk you in to the star tips. Forget the pastry bags. They can be upwards of five to ten dollars for a disposable item.

The star tips will cost you less than two dollars for one and you can put it in your zip lock bag. It is an item that is reusable as long as it is properly cared for.

Walmart star tip

edit on 18-4-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I'll pick up one, seems worthwhile and easier to control than a plain hole in the bag, am I right?
Thanks for the "tip"

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I know you said Insta Pot isn’t an option. If you ever change your mind and get one, I think it’s the best way to hard boil eggs. I have a small Insta Pot, only 3 quarts. I do about half a dozen eggs at a time. Use one cup of water, and 8 minutes high pressure, instant release after the 8 minutes for jumbo eggs, 7 minutes for large eggs. Immediately put into an ice bath and let soak 10 minutes. After that you can take them out, wrap in plastic wrap, and put in the refrigerator. They are so easy to peel if you use an Insta Pot, and they come out perfectly hard boiled. They last for days. After getting an Insta Pot, I won’t do them any other way.

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I often wondered if it was possible to put some eggs on a parabolic reflective dish out in the sun at high noon for a hour or so if this would produce the perfect hard (cooked) egg? Like a old dish network dish covered perfectly in aluminum foil? Has anyone done this? I remember back in the 80's solar energy was a thing. Old school foil lined pringles cans cut down the middle and folded or spread wide open would create a somewhat parabolic or concentrated curve of light and heat, it would actually melt butter and would cook sunny side up eggs, took a while though. If you kept adjusting it into the sun a very hot sunny day around noonish. My Science teacher taught our class this way back in 7th grade.

I'd like to experiment with one of those old TV magnifiers and a aluminium box to possibly create a solar oven. Can't find one big enough though.

Solar cooking needs a redux, it's a real thing. What would be real cool is a solar powered smoker. Hmm?

On Amazon you can buy this very expensive solar cooker that is basically the Pringle can concept just very expensive.
S olar Cooker

edit on 3-6-2022 by INnEedOfgOD because: YAY! Linkie

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: INnEedOfgOD

Post 9-11 pre - covid solar eggs rock’n YouTube vid.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join