It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 variant: Omicron

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
(mods, please delete or move if this is a duplicate)

The newest strain of concern out of South Africa is the newly identified Omicron variant.

New Omicron coronavirus variant is ‘of concern’, says WHO
Decision over heavily mutated strain that has been linked to sharp rise in cases in South Africa

The heavily mutated coronavirus strain linked to a sharp rise in cases in South Africa was designated a “variant of concern” by the World Health Organization, as more countries moved to tighten curbs on travel from the affected region.

The strain would be given the name Omicron, the WHO said after an emergency meeting on Friday, when its experts examined data from South Africa that appeared to show exponential growth in cases of the B.1.1.529 Sars-Cov-2 variant.

“Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other VOCs,” the WHO said.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s Covid-19 technical lead, told the Financial Times there was no estimate of total cases yet but that they were “increasing . . . overall” across South Africa. She said she was “concerned” because Omicron was “quite divergent” compared with other variants.

Source: Financial Times

A number of countries are closing their borders to travelers from South Africa, and that's something the US is considering because of the high risk of reinfection among those who have had Covid. South Africa's upset with England because England's rushed in a travel ban against them and other countries where this variant is taking over.

Additional sorces

Wall Street Journal

Politico

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Adding some additional info from other sources

* Not detected in US as of yet
* Israel has closed its borders to travelers from Africa
* Why Africa? Fewer than 6% of the population are fully vaccinated. Although most areas are rural, this is a large enough population of unvaccinated to produce a lot of variants.
* this variant has become the #1 dominant variant in South Africa in a very short time, sweeping Delta out of the running.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Just read this on the commute.
Bring on the MSM and Auntie BEEB.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I thought we were calling the B.1.1.529 "Nu" yesterday. I guess Omicron sounds scarier. I also read an article that was just out less than 2 hours ago with the WHO warning against any knee-jerk reactions.

I just checked that article and it was updated 22 minutes ago, but still has the headline "WHO warns world leaders against knee-jerk reaction to coronavirus variant from South Africa as U.K. and EU impose travel bans". Although, they did change the name from Nu to Omicron in the article.

WHO warns world leaders against knee jerk reaction to coronavirus variant from South Africa
edit on 26 11 2021 by tamusan because: forgot to add the link

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

"New variant" emerges and is announced on Thanksgiving.

Hype and speculation builds in the U.S.

Prepare for "explosion" of new cases JUST after Christmas once consumers have spent all their $.

The term "dark winter" will start to appear all throughout the MSM. They've already begun seeding this.

This screenplay is old and tired.
👎🏼

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Smells like engineered boolsheet.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I caught the FJB Variant.

Not worried, I’ve got antibodies.

But CDC looking at 4th shot already!

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Right on cue, when they were all just reporting literally days ago that scientists were perplexed why next to zero Covid cases in Africa despite scarcity of vaccine coverage in Africa.🤪🤡

The variant - called B.1.1.529 - has a "very unusual constellation" of mutations, which are concerning because they could help it evade the body's immune response and make it more transmissible, scientists told reporters at a news conference.
Reuters (Nov 25, 2021)

twitter.com...

CFR Variant - the endless virus plaguing mankind.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
BULL SHI#

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Will the vaccines that were designed for the Alpha Variant stop this one as well as it works on the Alpha and Delta variant?
Will the world need weekly boosters? Will natural immunity ever be looked at from a science standpoint? these are all questions that remain unanswered. will any prophylactic measures be tried and approved by the same "science" that can't bother to check into natural immunity? Perhaps soon we will have those answers.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Omicron sounds like a Transformers villain

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Transformers is trending on twitter

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
At this point it has the opposite effect on me instead of fear I am laughing my ass off at all the people it still works on

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow

Right on cue, when they were all just reporting literally days ago that scientists were perplexed why next to zero Covid cases in Africa despite scarcity of vaccine coverage in Africa.🤪🤡

The variant - called B.1.1.529 - has a "very unusual constellation" of mutations, which are concerning because they could help it evade the body's immune response and make it more transmissible, scientists told reporters at a news conference.
Reuters (Nov 25, 2021)

twitter.com...

CFR Variant - the endless virus plaguing mankind.

So basically do everything the same as the unvaxed

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

Smells like engineered boolsheet.

Yeah just in time to attempt to quell the objections to the illegal and unconstitutional fake vaccine mandate before Jan 4th.
Get in line and bend over, I hope you like it dry.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A new strain of cold has emerged in South Africa?!?

quick everyone panic and vaccinate and wear masks and lock down the world!!!

what if there is another variant?!

then another variant?!?

and then ANOTHER variant?!?

ugh that word is just scary....VAriAnT....

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Reminds me of Noonian Soong's planet -- Omicron Theta.

Soong. As in Data, Lore & B-4's papa.

They (the colonists) also died on Omicron Theta. Lore's hand.

edit on 11/26/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Edit Again: Come to think of it -- haven't played in a few years, but I'm also reminded of Omicron Kappa in STO. The mission's story was pretty dark & foreboding in it's script (not so much in game play)
edit on 11/26/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yep right for Flu season, soo convinient lets put 15 mask and start investing in plastic bubbles, because by god this one is the killer.

Yes I been sarcastic, we need to get horrible holidays because we are going to infect each other.
and kill, double vaxed and boosterized grand ma.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Something tells me one of these variants are going to be a big cause of concern for both vaccinated, unvaccinated and people previously exposed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join