It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juneteenth to be a national holiday

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: 20Eyes1974

His name was in the first reply you quoted.

Oh, ok. Who?

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 01:35 AM
link   
When do the Native peoples get a National holiday

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:24 AM
link   
So is this a great day for the majority of the working white people where they fought and got the ruling elites of all colours to lose their Slaves?

Because is it not true the majority of the human race has never owned a slave and the culture that currently owns the most today is the same culture moaning about it getting stopped in the western world.

Will we get to know the names of the many underground railway people risking their lives to help others escape brutal conditions regardless of colour?

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 20Eyes1974
Oh, ok. Who?

Gary Oldman.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Another holiday anyroad.

What's to complain about given what transpired really.

End of the day you can choose to celebrate it how you please, or not, and just kick back with a cold one in the Sunshine.

My thoughts being its a holiday, and those are nice.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzled2
Will we get to know the names of the many underground railway people risking their lives to help others escape brutal conditions regardless of colour?

You seem particularly outraged for a non-American.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2019

Disinterest is not what I have been referring to, but you must know that.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ThothHermes

To be fair a lot of people want Columbus Day changed to Indigenous Peoples' Day. For some reason though, there's a lot on the Right that think we need a day a celebrating a genocidal moron that didn't even discover America.

Maybe you should ask those people when we can get a day for Native Americans.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The fact that you all have a problem with this is exactly why I'm such an ass on here lately. I have black friends who have always celebrated it. We should all celebrate it.

ATS: "jUnEtEeNtH? WhAt AbOuT aLLtEeNtH? aLL mOnThS mAtTeR!"

Yeah I've noticed this place go down hill for a couple years and I, too, have begone just being asses to people here because this place attracts some of the worst minded.

Anyway, nobody should have an issue with this new holiday. Nobody.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
To be fair a lot of people want Columbus Day changed to Indigenous Peoples' Day. For some reason though, there's a lot on the Right that think we need a day a celebrating a genocidal moron that didn't even discover America.

Maybe you should ask those people when we can get a day for Native Americans.

My family is from Italy and I think Columbus Day is possibly the stupidest holiday on the calendar.

That and Saint Patrick's Day, A.K.A. Drunken Slob Day.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

If we must have yet another Federal holiday, why not call it something that most can relate to??

Juneteenth? Prior to a few months ago, I, in my obviously sheltered life, had never even heard of it.

Emancipation? Yep, heard of that. Abolition? Yep, heard of that, too. I had family, way way back in the day, that were heavily involved in the Abolition movement, and actively helped free/escaped black escape north to Canada.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Let's just all be glad and thankful to Biden for doing what Trump wanted.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Somehow I missed this post...

The 13th amendment is, without a doubt, much more important than the Emancipation Proclamation. Which Lincoln would not have issued if it hadn't been politically expedient to do so.

Well said, sir.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobbyJoeSmiths
Only Republicans voted against it. That says a lot. a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Did it say a lot when Donald Trump tried to make it a holiday last year and the same people cheering Biden for it, were bashing Trump for it? Careful, y'all are letting those hypocrisy colors shine bright.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaemac
White people having Juneteenth off doesn't sit well with my spirit

That's nice, a grammatically challenged reporter has issues with Whitey being off on June 19th now. I swear, the dumb just keep getting dumber.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

In October??

Columbus day should go away. it's silly to celebrate his "discovery", as he was a relative Johnny-come-lately, anyway...

The Vikings were here long before. Basque fishermen, and others, were fishing off the coast of Nova Scotia for generations prior to Columbus sailing the ocean blue. The Chinese had sailed the west coast before him. Polynesian sailors were trading with the original settlers of North America...

So, yeah, not going to hear anything from me about that--except approval. See, we can agree on something--every once in a while.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   
OK, so i guess I do have an issue with Juneteenth. I didn't think i did...until white people.

I know people who have the day off due to company holiday today (austin is like that). They were encouraged to use their day off not to celebrate the emancipation of slaves and the righting of a terrible wrong in this nation. No, they have been encouraged to go out and do charity among BIPOC.

You heard it hear first folks: BIPOC are charity cases, and instead of celebrating our common victory as a nation, we need to spend the day doing charity for the poor and downtrodden BIPOC who are unable to accomplish anything without people getting a day off work once a year to "elevate" them.

ETA: no guidance was given on how to spend your Juneteenth if you were already a BIPOC. Maybe just helping yourself get elevated for the day. Dunno.
edit on 6/18/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
a reply to: LSU2019

Disinterest is not what I have been referring to, but you must know that.

Right. You're referring to the people who have the audacity to call yet another paid day off for DC a silly holiday. To each their own. I'm at work right now and tomorrow I have to go into the city to take care of some things. What will you be doing to celebrate, bound yourself at another "so sorry" event?

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: BobbyJoeSmiths
Only Republicans voted against it. That says a lot. a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Did it say a lot when Donald Trump tried to make it a holiday last year and the same people cheering Biden for it, were bashing Trump for it? Careful, y'all are letting those hypocrisy colors shine bright.

That's not true at all. Trump scheduled a rally on Juneteenth and got called out for it and then changed the date to 6/20. Part of his campaign promises was to make Juneteenth a holiday, but he lost the election.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Looking at that picture, I can’t help but wonder what he is gonna be like when he becomes interested in girls? Relegated to the friend zone for being squishy on the confidence scale? Lash out as an incel in his early 20’s and shoot up a college/high school campus?

These are the things that need studied in detail to find out where the parents went oh so wrong psychologically destroying their child.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join