It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juneteenth to be a national holiday

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
a reply to: LSU2019

If a person can't recognize how terrible some of these comments are I don't know how to explain it.

There's nothing to explain. Some think it's silly because it's always been celebrated by those who want to celebrate it, or it hasn't. What do you do on MLK Day? I do nothing, just like I do on Columbus Day. Is that terrible to you, too, or is it just this because it's the shiniest toy in your high beams right now?

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LSU2019
...the white people in DC should have to work double shifts and doubly hard that day.

Agreed, and they should whip them while they do it.

Real hard, with bull whips. Think Joe and Kamala would last long? Wait, how do we handle her since her ancestors were slave owners? Decisions decisions.... Hmm

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I grew up in a small town in West Texas. Our demographics were 48% each hispanic and white, and the remaining 4% were asian, black, and indian (either kind). Very, very small black population. VERY small. Cinco De Mayo was a major thing, due to the culture.

But even in this small redneck town, where no black people lived hardly at all (and still don't....long story that i'd rather not tell today relating to ugly history), Juneteenth was part of our school life. Back in the mid 80's. I've been celebrating Juneteenth just like the average white person celebrates Cinco De Mayo: by eating the food of the occasion. That was about it....we ate greens (which we ate all the time anyway) and ox tails (which we ate all the time anyway).

When someone says that they've never heard of Juneteenth, the only thing I can do that makes any sense is flip the rock back over on top of them so they are comfortable.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You know, this really SHOULD be a holiday. It should be something we ALL celebrate! It should be something we're proud of...ALL of us. Slavery and bondage is a horrible thing, and it's a lightning rod for calls of racism. At a time in this country when we really need some unity and togetherness, rather than continuing divisiveness, what a better way to offer up an olive branch than to celebrate the abolition of something which was truly wrong in our history.

The bottom line is, this event was a major milestone in the underpinning foundation and history of this great country. That's what it's all about, isn't it...FREEDOM?

For many, it may be every bit as important as the 4th of July, because many weren't free...until they were truly free.

I'm not saying we should minimize the importance of Independence Day, but there is certainly no harm in celebrating whenever freedoms have been bestowed onto Americans. It is, after all, the very fabric woven into our stars and stripes.

Something to consider.

P.S. And all the more reason to change the name from something stupid like "Juneteenth", to something more appropriate and explanatory like "Emancipation Day", or maybe even "Abolition Day". Those names have power and meaning. "Juneteenth" only cheapens the reality behind the meaning of what really happened that day.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Don't sell yourself short.

You've always been an ass.

And you always will be.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i will commence to celebrate Juneteenth (the 48 hour period prior to high-noon Summer)...
As my personal Naturalized Citizen Day instead of November 9th when i raised the Hand and took-the-oath in Harrisburg PA

let me email my Representatives in Congress about that Idea....

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2019
Real hard, with bull whips. Think Joe and Kamala would last long? Wait, how do we handle her since her ancestors were slave owners? Decisions decisions.... Hmm

Easy, beat everyone, they're all equal opportunity whiners.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So we have another holiday.

'Kay. Cool.

Now. . . ummm. . . is DC going to do anything about the insane levels of violence taking place in minority centers in urban neighborhoods?

Or are they going to say, "WTF! We just gave you a damned holiday! Be grateful!"

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The fact that you all have a problem with this is exactly why I'm such an ass on here lately. I have black friends who have always celebrated it. We should all celebrate it.

ATS: "jUnEtEeNtH? WhAt AbOuT aLLtEeNtH? aLL mOnThS mAtTeR!"

ATS is gnarly huh? They're so racist...These are definitely the people you see in IG clips being openly racist, I mean they're openly racist and hateful on here too. Then they deflect it by blaming democrats as if that actually does anything in the fight against racism.

The thing is ATS mud pitters have no interest in fighting against racism for the following reasons:

1. Racism isn't real

2. White people are secretly oppressed

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
What about the Navajos? When are they going to get their own national holiday?

I love how this got so many stars....why just the Navajo Indians? The other tribes don't matter? How about Hawai'i?

LMAO you tried to be clever and people loved it but it just highlights your racism and theirs. Hahahaha

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hey, I gots an idea!

How about "National Murder Day" ???

We could make the celebratory food Chicago style Hot Dogs.

Slogan - "Come grab a dog, and go MURDER someone!"

Pretty cool, huh?

edit on 6/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Hey, I gots an idea!

How about "National Murder Day" ???

We could make the celebratory food Chicago style Hot Dogs.

Slogan - "Come grab a dog, and go MURDER someone!"

Pretty cool, huh?

Lately?

That's every day.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

PARRR-TEEEY!!

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have no problem recognizing Juneteenth. If it brings this country, closer together. However I get the vibe, it’s just something in place to use to further divide people alive right now that was not slaves and did not own slaves. Oh and just for historical accuracy not all WHITE people had slaves in this country... Just the rich ones..

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This should have been done a long time ago. Maybe they can get rid of President's Day, Thanksgiving, July 4th, or Columbus Day to offset this. a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Only Republicans voted against it. That says a lot. a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: Hypntick
a reply to: LordAhriman
The first I heard of it was last year

Color me shocked.

But, why would you be shocked? Its not the day slaves were freed. Its not a day to even celebrate. I think @VictorVonDoom explained it the only way it can be explained, here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Not one person on this thread is going to celebrate 'Juneteenth'. Not even the self-righteous ones who are expressing shock and awe that others are not responding in the way they demand they should.
In fact, I will go so far as to say, I doubt the majority of the country will actually CELEBRATE it - as in celebrate what it is suppose to mean - any more than people celebrate Cinco-De-Mayo for what it means.

The reason it was made into a holiday is for purely for political virtue signaling. That is it. Those democrats up on the hill don't give a crap about the black community nor the historical plight of their community. Plus, June 19th did not free slaves.

If anyone here, that is all happy about the pathetical named Junetheeth had any integrity, yall would be demanding the actual holiday be December 6th and not be named some ignorant ebonics sounding word. But I dont see that happening. So, IMO, this is all just a bunch of virtue signaling.

I will be celebrating the holiday soon that matters most to ALL AMERICANS - Because ALL FREE LIVES MATTER here in the United States. The Fourth of July.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

You apparently don't read very well, do you?

Scroll back a ways and look at my posts on this thread!!

Before you react, and look dumb, you might want to consider actually READING some of the posts here!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join