It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juneteenth to be a national holiday

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If they want it, fine. But let's not virtue signal and pretend this is anything other than what it is. Namely more decisive measures to strengthen the growing gap between the races. If we all wanted to be equal, we'd work together for the future. But we can't do that, because we're constantly reminded of the past.

"But whites did this, so I get this".

Get over it, honestly. None of your parents were slaves, I'm an immigrant myself and my family definitely didn't own slaves. What about the blacks who owned fellow blacks as slaves? What about the millions of whites throughout history (making black slavery pale in comparison), do they get a special month of remembrance?

Point is, if we keep looking at the faults of the past we're never going to move away from it. And NO, there is no systematic racism. That's been proven beyond a doubt. The only systematic racism is big tech / governments using ALL races against each other.

But I'll tell you what's going to happen; we're going to continue to divide until it boils over. It's already happening in places in Europe. And when that happens, we'll be back at square one but this time, more hate for each other.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Really? We should all celebrate it? I can understand Blacks celebrating it. It has no really meaning to non-blacks. Not my tribe, not my celebration. YOu people learn nothing, do you.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   
And the comments just keep getting worse...

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2019
Ironic, isn't it, that it'll be mostly Honkey McCrackers getting the day off for it....?

This formerly white guy won't be getting the day off...

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Democrats know what they're doing here.

The vote was 415-14, I'm thinking there aren't 415 Democrats in the House.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Democrats know what they're doing here.

The vote was 415-14, I'm thinking there aren't 415 Democrats in the House.

That's right, there are a lot of Republicans who don't want to be called a racist for saying no to the stupidity of making an already celebrated holiday, a celebrated holiday.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
And the comments just keep getting worse...

Why do you say that? Some support it, some don't support it, some don't care either way. If you support it then you can do like people have done for years and celebrate it. If you don't support it then you can do like people have done for years and not celebrate it. If you don't care either way then you can do either just like it's always been done.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
What a stupid name.

Gonna come up with a holiday you should give it a better name.

This one sounds like it was made up for a kids show.

I gotta agree with that thought.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Bluntone22

Is this holiday proclamation phase-1 of the reparations project that will ultimately yield $25,000 for each of us who have minority DNA in our system?

I hadn't thought of that angle.
That could definitely be on the table in the near future.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   

That's right, there are a lot of Republicans who don't want to be called a racist for saying no to the stupidity of making an already celebrated holiday, a celebrated holiday.

So they did it because they are a bunch of pussies? Got it, par for the course.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2019

If people understood what made them a$$hats, they would no longer be a$$hats, I wish I could explain it better.
edit on 17-6-2021 by wheresthebody because: werdz

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I grew up in the Deep South (MS) and have lived here my whole life (now in GA). Never heard of it until the last couple of years. But in those last couple of years, people have put yard signs in their yards and I've seen a t-shirt or two.

My two cents:
I think it is actually a wonderful thing to celebrate if it is meaningful to your history and culture. Commemorate and celebrate FREEDOM. BUT now stop behaving like you are still an oppressed slave and recognize you live in the freest country in the world. Be Free. Work Hard. Take care of your family. Stop waiting for Joe "you ain't black" to give you something. Start seeing leftist progressives as the racist pot stirrers they are.

And I think the legislation is nothing more than the usual pandering. If I thought leftists and RINOs could actually do something out of the kindness of their so-called bleeding hearts, I'd be impressed. But I know too many liberals who talk a good game but are literally the worst racists I know.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

Okay, I'm fine with canceling Columbus day. Let's get rid of that one and do Juneteenth.

I don't think they add, just replace, so they will have to get rid of another.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
The fact that you all have a problem with this is exactly why I'm such an ass on here lately. I have black friends who have always celebrated it. We should all celebrate it.

ATS: "jUnEtEeNtH? WhAt AbOuT aLLtEeNtH? aLL mOnThS mAtTeR!"

the fact that nobody seemed to actually "have a problem with it" just kind of solidifies the part where you are an ass.

Perhaps on that day, Everyone can come together and try to understand those cryptic words of the mystical, and never understood man Dr. King Jr. (He's the guy who wanted everyone to judge by content of character and not color of skin)

We thought him important enough to name streets after him, and have a nice holiday, but don't seem capable of understanding his words. Maybe he should have spoke louder?

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

If so, Columbus day is a good choice to be replaced. Not sure why we celebrate that aweful human being.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I'll celebrate it as just like I celebrate Columbus Day and MLK Day, by either working or not caring enough to think about it. I just hope none of y'all have anything important that's supposed to arrive by mail that day.

The only real effect it might have on me is that the garbage men may not be here on Monday, so I may have to wait til Tuesday morning to take the trash out. If not that, then I won't even notice.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   
MLK holiday has to go.

He believed people should be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

He believed in a world where skin color doesn't affect how one sees another person and their worth.

All this is the antithesis of Critical Race Theory, and what BLM believes.

www.msn.com...

I expect any day soon that MLK will be destroyed by liberals and Democrats as a racist who wanted to see black people subjugated because he believed in a world where skin color didn't matter when it came to deciding on the worth of another human being or how one should treat or speak to another human being.

So I think they'll demand a removal of MLK day. Sad but I think will be true if libs have their way.

edit on 6/17/21 by The2Billies because: grammar

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
MLK holiday has to go.

He believed people should be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

He believed in a world where skin color doesn't affect how one see another person and their worth.

All this is the antithesis of Critical Race Theory, and what BLM believes.

www.msn.com...

I expect any day soon that MLK will be destroyed by liberals and Democrats as a racist who wanted to see black people subjugated because he believed in a world where skin color didn't matter when it came to judging others.

this is pretty much my issue as well. Why are we playing this game? MLK needs to be canceled. His message wasn't the one everyone wanted. Separate but more equal is what's selling now. I've joked before, and I'll do it again, (one day it won't be a joke), but folks won't be happy until there are separate water fountains again. We are regressing at warp #ing speed.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
ILLINOIS Governor J.B. Pritzker makes JuneTeenth a state holiday.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Why now? Why not 2 years ago?

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CptGreenTea

If so, Columbus day is a good choice to be replaced. Not sure why we celebrate that aweful human being.

What about Indigenous Peoples’ Day???

Actually I think they should dump MLK day since no one agrees with him anymore, and it is in Jan where there are two other holidays, and move it to Jun where there are none.

I work in the private sector so I get 7 no matter what ...lol

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join