It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prime Minister bans petrol and diesel cars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I'm sure the carbon footprint won't shift to powering all those cars with electricity charging stations all over the country.

We've also got the fear of more Chinese takeover of the UK following electrificutuon, from what's been said the Chinese dominate the markets for precious metals needed for these cars. Following on from Howeii phone systems is it really a good idea to let the Chinese take control of out transport system? But that might be all part of the plan

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
Bloke on the radio just said no gear sticks in elecy cars.................... That just sounds so boring, maybe good for Yanks but Brits like a gearbox and all the entertainment it brings

Except for us older "Yanks" who remember what real power in vehicles felt like .
Hearst High Rise shifter for me any day...

Ooo that sounds fun. Must admit you Yanks get the good stuff when it comes to cars. V8's, muscle cars................ Corvettes look the dogs, quite like your old pick ups too or modern ones like is it bthe F150 or someit Hopefully the new leccy cars will get some sort of gear stick to give the drive a real feel

Muscle cars are great for America but i don't really rate them over here in Blighty - rubbish cornering and our roads are, basically, corners. We are better with nippy little things that you can fling around.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Devious isn't it.

DAMN YOU FUN POLICE!

a reply to: Flavian

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SmikeS
I have no idea how to post her picture on here, sorry.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I may start wrapping the car in tin foil anyway - just to hide the fact i haven't washed it for a few months!

link   

Never been there but know where you are coming from on the muscle cars being good for their roads, they have them big wide straightees that you can floor it without worrying about the handling.

Wish we could fling our cars about still over here too but I just can't belive what happened to our roads the past few years, it; sreal dangerous in Staffs there's pot holes everywhere even in the city even just down the road the 19thC cobbles are now visible
There seems raodworkd=s everywhere dunno what they are doing but they aint fillin the pot holes

The flingabout yeah, maybe a Pug 205 1.9 retrofitted with electric engines

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: SprocketUK

The downside is that they aren't really any more green than gas.

Mining the rare earths for the batteries is incredibly toxic, but you just outsource that to poor third world countries where the icky brown people live and have to deal with it, trashing their environments. You don't have to worry though - China handles most of it, so you don't have your government getting its hands dirty.

And you still have to produce the electricity. Wind and solar by themselves do not produce enough to handle the power needs now let alone when everyone is busy charging up their cars too. So how do you figure in increased power demands of the world's modern economy + the world's travel demands? The world is going to have pull a power rabbit out of its hat.

I'm not against the idea of electric cars for poeple for whom they are practical, but it's a myth to think they're any more green than other types of vehicle. They just hide the immediate pollution better.

Nailed it. That has been the elephant in the room that no greenie wants to discuss. It makes no sense to me to use fossil fuel to generate the amount of electricity needed and to produce the products for a large-scale electric vehicle operation. And what happens when there is no wind for a stretch? Batteries? Yeah, the poisonous materials that those need have huge environmental costs too.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Spot on! That is exactly what I was trying to say in my post but failed miserably being a girlie and all that

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

angelchemuel when you make a post............... above the box the very right side button click on that and pick the file pic from your computer

* mihght have to upload it tom ATS account first though then pick it from there.................. U can alwatys just post a link

edit on 18-11-2020 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

It has nothing to do with being a girlie. *I'm* a "girlie" myself.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SmikeS
I would like to see a picture of Geraldine...a reply to: angelchemuel

Aha! Think I got it!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Wowzers that's in good nick. Like the leather and colour too

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

New cars and vans powered wholly by petrol and diesel will not be sold in the UK from 2030, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

But some hybrids would still be allowed, he confirmed.

It is part of what Mr Johnson calls a "green industrial revolution" to tackle climate change and create jobs in industries such as nuclear energy.

Source: BBC news

Is this a good idea? How will this affect the UK economy - as if BREXIT was not enough? Is this a trend that the rest of the world will follow? If there is a ban on petrol and diesel cars under Biden - would you be onboard? A lot of countries and industries are reliant on oil, what will happen to these if there is a world-wide ban?

-MM

Misleading headline.

NEWPetrol and diesel cars will not be sold in UK from 2030.

So, UK will just end up like France, lots of old bangers everywhere.

Petrol and diesel vehicles will be phased out. Those buying new vehicles will probably get hybrids.

They'll get people into electric cars by putting up the price of vehicle tax for petrol/diesel cars, and lowering the price of electric cars.
edit on 18 11 2020 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Doesn't help this discussion but being a boring history anorak, i can tell you that the state of our roads has always been rubbish. Quite a few of the recovered tablets from Vindolanda are from merchants complaining about the state of the roads in Blighty - damaging amphorae, etc.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Debunkology

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

New cars and vans powered wholly by petrol and diesel will not be sold in the UK from 2030, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

But some hybrids would still be allowed, he confirmed.

It is part of what Mr Johnson calls a "green industrial revolution" to tackle climate change and create jobs in industries such as nuclear energy.

Source: BBC news

Is this a good idea? How will this affect the UK economy - as if BREXIT was not enough? Is this a trend that the rest of the world will follow? If there is a ban on petrol and diesel cars under Biden - would you be onboard? A lot of countries and industries are reliant on oil, what will happen to these if there is a world-wide ban?

-MM

So, UK will just end up like France, lots of old bangers everywhere.

Sorry, are we still talking about cars?

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Never heard of the Vinoland tablets? You have a link Flav?

The Romans up at the wall left a record in grefitti where they said much the same about being stuck in Britain on the Scottish borders

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Thank you
She is lovely.

Her legal number plate is H3 TVB. But when I bought her she had H3T V8. Didn't take the boys in blue long to stop me and tell me they were illegal plates. I still have the naughty plates in my boot in case I have to do a quick 'get away' lol!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Is that your fleet? Holy smoke that's some collection

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
ALL cars run on electricity, disconnect the battery and alternator and see how far you get.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

My fleet? No I only have the one

Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join