It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prime Minister bans petrol and diesel cars

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

There´s progress for you
Don´t get me started on Wind turbines...

-MM

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

There´s progress for you

-MM

Too right MM
Over here in the UK our economy is so fragile and in full on retard mode the Gov't does anything to get things moving. It's like they clutch at straws even though their hands are tied somewhat and back anything that might create a reduction in the unemployment figures.................. Like stick em into Universities courses, move em into disability / care, create new non fossil fuel jobs (as you hinted at), more government / state workers, all the while having no idea where our economy is headed but as the British public have decided that being in the biggest economic single market on Planet Earth is a bad idea and decided on isolationism and terminal decline through disengagement and tariffs on trade.

A change of vehicle motor is the latest idea to get the masses moving and employed yet it doesn't really make any environmental sense when things only reduce the carbon footprint reduction at 50k miles and more. IMHO it's just going to cause more of our auto manufacturers to disembark and head to other more cost reduced climes (like yours moving to Mexico) if they have to retool their factories to create elecy motors, the costs are tremendous and if you're going to invest loads of dosh why not do it in the biggest economic bloc on Planet Earth rather than what our public voted for Little Britain.

We have a crazy economic policy over here in the UK. Even our previous EU partners Germany and France have a serious industrial policy to manufacture cars / household products for the consumers in their very own Single Market. Our economic policy seems to be steam roller over anything, churn concrete and build houses and then fill them with the unemployed / stay at home 'lay abouts are c*ck suckers types.'

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
In the US they are saying that electric cars will create all kinds of new jobs, probably not realizing a few hundred thousand might be losing theirs in the regular automotive business. The oil business and many other places.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Is this a good idea?

No , but it follows a litany of bad ideas from this government like continuing HS2 and the 3rd runway at Heathrow Airport.
It's a ridiculous idea and although 2030 is just the start of a phase out at some point in the future I believe the 2030 time frame will have to be pushed back.

I think it's more of a headline grabber than a set in stone policy.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah its the same over here................ Give up a serious economic policy of manufacturing superb engineering products and replace it with building new houses to put the non actives in

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I couldn't resist the British racing green with gold snowflake BBS. The 3.5 twin turbo is an option for most 1/2 ton trucks now, lots of torque.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

There´s progress for you

-MM

Too right MM
Over here in the UK our economy is so fragile and in full on retard mode the Gov't does anything to get things moving. It's like they clutch at straws even though their hands are tied somewhat and back anything that might create a reduction in the unemployment figures.................. Like stick em into Universities courses, move em into disability / care, create new non fossil fuel jobs (as you hinted at), more government / state workers, all the while having no idea where our economy is headed but as the British public have decided that being in the biggest economic single market on Planet Earth is a bad idea and decided on isolationism and terminal decline through disengagement and tariffs on trade.

A change of vehicle motor is the latest idea to get the masses moving and employed yet it doesn't really make any environmental sense when things only reduce the carbon footprint reduction at 50k miles and more. IMHO it's just going to cause more of our auto manufacturers to disembark and head to other more cost reduced climes (like yours moving to Mexico) if they have to retool their factories to create elecy motors, the costs are tremendous and if you're going to invest loads of dosh why not do it in the biggest economic bloc on Planet Earth rather than what our public voted for Little Britain.

We have a crazy economic policy over here in the UK. Even our previous EU partners Germany and France have a serious industrial policy to manufacture cars / household products for the consumers in their very own Single Market. Our economic policy seems to be steam roller over anything, churn concrete and build houses and then fill them with the unemployed / stay at home 'lay abouts are c*ck suckers types.'

Yeah I work at Bentley, we were talking about this just today at a end of year review. They're many UK Automotive factories that were created with the sole purpose of supplying the EU. Nissan has been threatening from the start that they could move if Brexit went ahead. If there's a 10% tariff imposed for example would it make economic sense to continue manufacturing here? The only way round it would be to give these companies Tax breaks as an incentive too stay and balance these additional costs.

Its the same with all these companies that setup world headquarters in the London. There's been a mass exodus since. So simple for there to sign a bit of paper and transfer the UK department to the Hamburg branch and away they go.

To be honest though this electrification process has been a long time coming. We stopped all development of ICE Vehicles and I mean ALL. Everything's PHEV or full EV. Its the same pretty much for all automotive companies, they're all in transition periods. ICE development in the past may have been revolutionary at every new generation of engine, that ended years back, just slow steady evolutionary changes now till whichever direction electrification happens which is where all R & D is going.

You got to remember also that by the time the tech gets to the consumer its already out of date. For example the latest prototypes were working on are for 24 Model year and we've been working on Phev since 2016 for release in 2019. My point? Were well ahead of these law changes, if anything there just coming in line with customer demand.
edit on 16-12-2020 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tdk84

Too right TDK and it an honor to talk to someone from Bentley
Quite close to you actually in Staffs Thing is on the 10% it is actually a 20%er if one ecpects to export your Bentleys over to the EU. I dunno the actual breakdown of your parts mate but on average 75% of a vehicle 'manufactured' in Blightly actually is assembled of EU built parts. So most stuff will get the 10% on, then as most cars like Nissan maybe 80% of output will go to EU, then another 10% on exported vehicles! So we get to 20% increase in costs. For Nissan from memeory and it's a good example, if Nissan get a six minute stoopage of production yes just six minutes the lines go down in a 24hr shift they lose money. Things be that tight on the prufitability over at Sunderland. Imagine a 20% increase due to tarfifs? It's a no gamer and when it comes to the next model a few years down the line then it'll be hard to make it here when you can make it in the largest economic block the EU at a factory already there or new in Slovak etc. At least you guys and gals at Bentley make a premium product that people will probably still desire regardless of costs, when it comes to Nissan, Toyota, even JLR, DAF up in Lancs, JCB, Rolls aero engines etc etc I really do fear for any future nd the effect on the midland and north will be devasyating as it will effect alltye follow on supply chains, crazy times I just pray Bozza get us a free tariff deal whatever happens to the fishing boats

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

THanks for your input, your report.

Any idea as to the range of these vehicles and how long it takes to charge them?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Too right TDK and it an honor to talk to someone from Bentley
Quite close to you actually in Staffs

Ha I actually live in staffs too. Commute too Crewe, not that I'm doing much of that at the moment. Working from home.

Thing is on the 10% it is actually a 20%er if one ecpects to export your Bentleys over to the EU. I dunno the actual breakdown of your parts mate but on average 75% of a vehicle 'manufactured' in Blightly actually is assembled of EU built parts. So most stuff will get the 10% on, then as most cars like Nissan maybe 80% of output will go to EU, then another 10% on exported vehicles! So we get to 20% increase in costs.

Well I don't want to break the illusion of Bentley, but Bentley is owned by the VW group. You know they own VW, AUDI, Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, Ducati, Bucati, Skoda, Seat etc As a result were part of what they call the luxury brand group. Platforms are highly modular and shared to reduce costs. We bring in big chunks of the car from the EU, which are then built here and mixed with locally produced stuff and custom items. Internals like seating etc are hand made here, most things are put together by hand.

As a result Brexit greatly effects us. Today we were briefed some good news though. They have received 60% of our target for 2021 in the pre-order bank. And smashed previous sales records. We've gone for making a predicted 300Mil operating loss in April too a £40 Mill profit now. So it would appear due to target market were protected from covid and brexit. Chinese market is thriving. Not really a fair comparison to the other UK manufacturers.

For Nissan from memeory and it's a good example, if Nissan get a six minute stoopage of production yes just six minutes the lines go down in a 24hr shift they lose money. Things be that tight on the prufitability over at Sunderland. Imagine a 20% increase due to tarfifs? It's a no gamer and when it comes to the next model a few years down the line then it'll be hard to make it here when you can make it in the largest economic block the EU at a factory already there or new in Slovak etc. At least you guys and gals at Bentley make a premium product that people will probably still desire regardless of costs, when it comes to Nissan, Toyota, even JLR, DAF up in Lancs, JCB, Rolls aero engines etc etc I really do fear for any future nd the effect on the midland and north will be devasyating as it will effect alltye follow on supply chains, crazy times I just pray Bozza get us a free tariff deal whatever happens to the fishing boats

Yes exactly... not sure how they will cope. The car industry in the UK was doing well only a asteroid could derail the party. JLR went from strength to strength for example. But then comes Brexit, Covid and the ongoing shift to electrification that all manufactures are having to pump money into. Thrice the problem. Job loses are coming, we sacked 1000 in the last few months. Dread.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

THanks for your input, your report.

Any idea as to the range of these vehicles and how long it takes to charge them?

Its so different for every brand (generally avg. 300 miles). Tesla for example, very bare bones. Cheap, modern very light materials. Compare that with the tonnage of Bentley on the other end of the spectrum, obviously not the same range.

In spite saying that ranges and charge times are getting better and better. Fortune would have it I work in the electrical department and today was updated on some new info from group. New batteries that can be charged too 80% in 15 minutes with 50% more miles then current commercial batteries.

Batteries to deal with storage is the issue, they predict demand can easily be met by grids. A lot of energy is wasted as we have no way to store it. The biggest problem is what happens when everyone gets home from work and plugs in there cars at 5pm. There would be a massive spike. The solution is for everyone to purchase battery wall banks at home. You got solar panels on your house or trickle charge them off the grid through the day. That give you the ability to charge your car from your household battery. That's if Hydrogen doesn't take over.

Very complicated topic but hopefully I've brushed on a few things.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Thanks for the info

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Great to hear you Bentley people are still doing well. Very interesting to hear about the construction of your vehicles and the general stuff about Bentley. It's amazing what just one company can create locally for the engineering bloc by simply existing and everything grows from there. You're like the sed that gives life to an entire field. Lond may you continue and on the occasion thanks to the Gemans too

Know where you're coming from on Bentley being different to the average UK motor industry. The rest are really going to suffer with Brexit by the look of things if tariffs occur. The way things are going the high end producers really have massive opportunities in the new modern Asian world. Such opportunities out there.

As a frien of mine said "we can make anything anybody else can produce, just as good or bad but we can make anything. But without the branding it's a waste of time" and that's what companies like yours and for another example the whiskey brands from Scotland, to Portmeirion around here, have got spot on. They got the branding right and that enaled a massive surge in exports to Asia
They love the British branding.

Who knows where we'll be in a few years but with India's emerging middle class and China's too potentially being 25 each of our population along with the Yanks trade too maybe we won't be needing the European markets in the long term.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join