It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prime Minister bans petrol and diesel cars

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Kind of like that,..."government educated/socially responsible" kid. That believes, they can get all the "health benefits" from icecream, because the "government paid teacher", said that is all they need, regardless of what mom and dad says.

Let us talk "science", ("educated people") love "science"! Even if it is just an "educated guess"? Because any guess, is better than an "uneducated" one!?!.. Bunch of educated idiots! Makes me proud, I to pay taxes for something I already know/can do myself. ..The "dude" that made this "proclamation"?.. "Scientifically", Won't be alive by the time "this" becomes a "law". It's an easy proclamation to make.
But it is a "political" "feel good" for the tme.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I don’t live in a city either. I live on the outskirts of a fishing village turned into a town.

Saying that, we do have quite a few (fairly new) charging stations. I’m not sure if it’s just a Scotland thing, but they are popping up in more places.

Also, the electric car tech has come leaps and bounds compared to the old weird looking things.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

My 2007 Ranger pickup has a plastic intake. But then again it's also got the DOHC 4 cylinder too. Being Ford I wonder if they stole the motor design from their English division.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Loved Jaguars card since Simon Templar in The Saint series, played by Roger Moore, drove a Jaguar E-type, larger motor than XK8 but the look is pretty similar, I think. BTW, I though The Saint always drove a Jaguar, but when reading up today I see that he actually drove a Volvo for most of the series, lol

-MM

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Where do they get that electricity to run those electric cars...........Coal, Hydroelectric, Nuclear, Oil and other hydrocarbons. So how is that better?

Electric cars don't go far either. Especially up hill. You won't be going anywhere but where big brother says.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Doctor Smith

So how is that better?

They use less.

Electric cars don't go far either.

That’s an outdated myth. They can go about as far as a petrol engine car with a full tank (200-400 miles, depending on the car, how you drive etc. Just like a petrol car.)

You won't be going anywhere but where big brother says

This doesn’t even make sense.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation
a reply to: TerryDon79

How strange as older cars generally pollute more than newer cars - so weird to only ban new cars but allow for old cars to be sold then?! I can imagine that it´ll be like Cuba with tons of old gas and diesel cars that people keep repairing.

-MM

actually that did in fact happen when they brought out emissions testing. people were going out specifically looking for cars that it would not apply to and buying them. still others were installing bigger, (and often older, and far less efficient and more polluting), engines in their vehicles, which qualified the vehicle to have to conform to the loosest emission standards, as "hot rods". and man were those standards loose. you didn't even need any emissions control systems, or even things like catalytic converters. started seeing a lot more old cars on the roads. unlike what the auto manufacturers that had pushed for the testing expected. they had expected people to buy a brand new car every two or three years so they wouldn't have to worry about testing.

in fact at that time i had just put a nineteen seventies, 8cly, 350 (non rebuilt, just pulled out of the old vehicle) into a late nineteen eighties minivan, which was originally equipped with a 6 cyl, 4.3L. i did it right before emissions testing was announced, and did so because it was much cheaper to do. the first time i got it tested (which if i remember right was in the first month of testing), at first the mechanic looked at it, and said he couldn't even test it due to it having no catalytic converter on it. and of course ALL vehicles built after a certain date HAD to have one. we even got into a mild argument over it, with him refusing to test it. at that point i told him to either test it, or i would be calling the transportation ministry and reporting him.in which case he would loose his licensing to test, and all the tens of thousands of dollars he spent on the equipment,training and licence would be wasted. they had been doing so with testing centers that were trying to rip people off, including many locations of a big automotive chain. so he went into his office to check because i seemed so sure of my position (which i was, working in the automotive industry myself and checking into it). and that if i was right and he refused he would have thrown away tens of thousands of dollars. i assume that first he checked his manuals, and then called the ministry. but over 20 minutes later he came back out and told me he was amazed. that after calling and checking with the ministry, that i was correct. and how he couldn't believe how much more i was allowed to pollute, especially over the allowance of my vehicle type and year as standard, because with the bigger engine it was in the "hot rod" category. and even more amazed i indeed did not need a catalytic converter or any other emission control system that i was normally required to have. of course i passed with flying colours, even though i would have failed badly with the original engine putting out the same emissions.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ntech

My 2007 Ranger pickup has a plastic intake. But then again it's also got the DOHC 4 cylinder too. Being Ford I wonder if they stole the motor design from their English division.

Yeah looking at it logically that would fit to the same timescales, couldn't remember which period Ford owned Jag but found the following clippet, thinking about it I must have been at Siemens something like around 22 - 23 years ago so that makes it 1997 0r 1998 and that fits into the timescales of this and would give enough pre production to use the same tech in your Ranger too

"Ford Motor Company previously owned the Jaguar company but sold it in 2009. Ford sold Jaguar, together with Land Rover, which they also owned, to Tata Motors. Jaguar is part of a company now known as Jaguar Land Rover Limited. Ford originally bought Jaguar in 1989. Jaguar was originally known as the Swallow Sidecar Company. The first cars produced were under the SS brand name. After the end of the Second World War, the company changed its name to Jaguar. The first car produced under the Jaguar brand was the Mark V in 1948. This car was designed to serve as a stop-gap car until the luxury car that Jaguar wanted to build could be developed. The XK120, introduced in 1948, was the first of the cars to symbolize the Jaguar brand."

Siemens really struggled with the inlet manifold but must have sorted it

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I was in Cheltenham Uni at the start of the '80's so I wouldn't have known him, sorry.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation
Ian Ogilvy when he played Return of The Saint drove the Jaguar XJ-S. Jaguar were a bit upset with themselves when they realised the original Saint series was such a success. Bit like IBM refusing for them to call the computer in Space Odyssey IBM, so film company shifted one letter to the left thus HAL was born.

One thing I have just found out was one of the designers of the XK8 was a chap called Geoff Lawson.....wonder if he's a distant relative

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Different time scales

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
For real, I had a 88 T bird that we put a 460 in. Had nearly 600 horsepower. It had a three inch exhaust and would set off all of the car alarms. Loved to kill dinosaurs in that thing.

a reply to: Gothmog

69 Road Runner , 440 Mag , poppies , blower , dual Holleys .....
770 hp whenever I wanted ...
"Stock" from the factory.
Plymouth actually let one order the vehicle however they wanted.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Plymouth actually let one order the vehicle however they wanted

Mopar Direct Connection, was the fore runner of factory built hot rods. i know cheviot would build you a custom ordered one, you know like Yenko did. can't recall if ford did, they only had a couple of models and during a couple of years i thought were decent.

man to be 16, 17 again at the track or cruisin in town.

my first car was a 1965 barracuda, with a 273 Comando V8. wasn't much to look at, in fact in was was ugly as hell. engine wise you would think it was a old nag during the pony car years. but believe it of not it smoked quite a few mustangs and camaros.
some were even built under the shade tree and in the garage.

edit on 19-11-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

One thing I have just found out was one of the designers of the XK8 was a chap called Geoff Lawson.....wonder if he's a distant relative

Rainbows
Jane

I hope not Jane. If so, very disappointing he couldn't arrange a family discount!

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Loved Jaguars card since Simon Templar in The Saint series, played by Roger Moore, drove a Jaguar E-type, larger motor than XK8 but the look is pretty similar, I think. BTW, I though The Saint always drove a Jaguar, but when reading up today I see that he actually drove a Volvo for most of the series, lol

-MM

Yep the Saint drove an older volvo p1800, which is actually designed and built by Jensen in Oxford, electronics were all Lucas and complete crap, but I still miss my old rustbucket.

Back on topic this UK petrol auto ban seems almost identical to what California just passed, trying to phase out new gas car sales.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

New cars and vans powered wholly by petrol and diesel will not be sold in the UK from 2030, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

But some hybrids would still be allowed, he confirmed.

It is part of what Mr Johnson calls a "green industrial revolution" to tackle climate change and create jobs in industries such as nuclear energy.

Source: BBC news

Is this a good idea? How will this affect the UK economy - as if BREXIT was not enough? Is this a trend that the rest of the world will follow? If there is a ban on petrol and diesel cars under Biden - would you be onboard? A lot of countries and industries are reliant on oil, what will happen to these if there is a world-wide ban?

-MM

This is agenda 21/30 look it up if you dont know.
No private property
forced production quotas
no cars (for the average person)
no planes
no choice.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: RsaWarhawk
This is agenda 21/30 look it up if you dont know.
No private property
forced production quotas
no cars (for the average person)
no planes
no choice.

If they don't want planes in the sky, then why do they continualy heavily subsidize the Airline industry?

If you live in the UK, you can get plane tickets for as low as $15 to Milan, Italy, yet getting a train from one end of the country to the other costs $500

I live in the far north of the UK, and have family in the south. I would much rather take a train, but it's 20x more expensive than getting a flight.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
# of with your thread title full of lies.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
That’s an outdated myth. They can go about as far as a petrol engine car with a full tank (200-400 miles, depending on the car, how you drive etc. Just like a petrol car.)

Though the "real" electric cars with these kind of ranges are *incredibly* expensive and not really viable for the common folk.

In my personal situation, I would have loved a normal electric car. I dont drive that much, I live reasonably close to work but I also need it for my work as I work across two sites on opposite ends in my town. But unfortunetly, I cant make it work. Even ignoring the insane costs (which I wouldnt make up in 50+ years probably compared to a petrol/diesel car), there's no charging stations in the garage at work, so I cant charge it there. There's no charging stations in my home garage because we have a community one and they cut off the power because some idiot used a heater a couple of winters ago racking up insane electricity costs.

Transitions are good but unfortunetly the goverment is # at it. One year its like "oh these diesels are the bestest ever for the enviroment, buy these, we'll give you money to buy these!" then the next year its "you cant drive these dirty, nasty diesels on city roads and we'll tax you to the poor house if you where stupid enough to have bought them.".

Though of course veteran cars are exempt from all rules so maybe I should just get a clunker that probably emits 50x the pollution of a modern petrol car and do donuts on the banned streets. Because logic.
edit on 21-11-2020 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Electric cars need to be driven for at least 50,000 miles before they become ‘greener’ than their petrol counterparts.

That’s the message from a report commissioned by several car brands that looked at the amount of CO2 created through manufacturing.

It claims that producing electric vehicles generates 63% more carbon dioxide than regular petrol vehicles.

metro.co.uk...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join