It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prime Minister bans petrol and diesel cars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
You can build a simple one with about £20 worth of stuff from the hardware shop. But, like I said, you need a carburetor.

a reply to: SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Bloke on the radio just said no gear sticks in elecy cars.................... That just sounds so boring, maybe good for Yanks but Brits like a gearbox and all the entertainment it brings

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Further to add, a solar farm produces 357 megawatts per year per acre, and a single wind generator makes 1.5 megawatts per year. Each one of those take up 1/4 acre so thats 6 mega watts per acre. I'm on my phone and can't do the math in my head but, you get the picture.

How many acres of green belt land would get used up? Is that green? Whats the carbon offset of a solar farm compared to the forest that might be there?

a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation
a reply to: TerryDon79

How strange as older cars generally pollute more than newer cars - so weird to only ban new cars but allow for old cars to be sold then?! I can imagine that it´ll be like Cuba with tons of old gas and diesel cars that people keep repairing.

-MM

Pretty much. It’s a nice idea, but it’s being poorly implemented. Kind of reminds me of the scrapage (sp?) scheme fiasco.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Reminds me of Obama Cash for Clunkers debacle, only bigger and stupider.

CforC ruined a lot of nice used cars and drove the price way up for what junk was left. It's very hard to find a decent 20 year old car with less than 100k miles for less than five grand now.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Reminds me of Obama Cash for Clunkers debacle, only bigger and stupider.

ain't that the truth. because of that and azz monkeys garage, you can't find a decent muscle car to build a hot rod from.
and when you do find one it's so rusted out, you can see the road through the floor pan, and the owner thinks they are sitting on a gold mine and wants 10,000 dollars for it.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   
:::puts tinfoil hat on:::

In a lot of ways, I see the push to electric vehicles as both a boon and a curse. A boon for the environment, but once the infrastructure is built out, I can see the chargers being controlled by the government. There will be a code in the car that interfaces with the charger to figure out what kind of charge the car requires at what amps, voltage, etc. What they won't tell you is that it will also tell the charger your VIN number (or equivalent) and that they can "turn off the tap" depending on who owns the car.

Your movements are much easier to control when the ability to "refuel" the vehicle can be turned off remotely.

I see more and more power grabs by industry and government to control people. The push for a cashless society also transfers control of your "money" to others. Displease the bank or government and suddenly that "cash card" is being declined and useless. Tick these people off and you can no longer charge your electric car.

I'm not saying that these are the actual plans of TPTB, but I can see it happening all too easily once they realize there is a bottleneck in the system that they can control, and by proxy, control YOU.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Entertainment being all the Brits that should be driving automatics.

a reply to: ufoorbhunter

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The government could get a new car business going by retro fit electric engines for all current petrol / diesel cars out there. We can have an engine that fits all old cars, or maybe a range of a dozen or so that will fit everything from a Robin reliant all the way to a Lanchester. New factories would be needed plus loads of work going to the retro fit change over companies. It would be a true green revolution and give people with old cars a new lease of life. My old Mr2 that sat there for half a decade now it'd be worth getting it back on the road if it could be retro fitted at the right price rather than the exhorbitant costs out there now, the government would have to subsidise the scheme but for petrol heads out there with an old car from the past century it would totally amazing and ignite part of the economy

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Much ,more easy than that. Your car will have a smart meter like your home, and you will be charged accordingly, Drive in rush hour.....peak money. Someones gotta pay for those 14 new nuclear power plants.

a reply to: BomSquad

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Don't it get confusing behind the wheel of an auto? You can drop to sleep to easy as there's nothing to do bar stop and go

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Much ,more easy than that. Your car will have a smart meter like your home, and you will be charged accordingly, Drive in rush hour.....peak money. Someones gotta pay for those 14 new nuclear power plants.

a reply to: BomSquad

If it's an electric car and you go over the speed limit what about a gentle electric shock to the driver? Nothing would surprise these days

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The government?!?!?!?! Bwahahaha.

Plenty of peeps out there making conversion kits at the moment. They are expensive though....11-22 thousand to convert a VW Transporter for example.

eveurope.eu...

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

This year I've read about Jaguar, Land rover and Bentley going all electric.

Get the range and recharge time right and I can't see a down side.

Electric vehicles accelerate much better than combustion engine vehicles due to the high torque of the electric motors.

I mean, who doesn't want to go faster?

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Why would the government do that? Speeding fines are a tax, so the GPS in the car will log your speed and send you a ticket for the government to waste on something else..

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24 The link don't open but the price you quote it so much dosh for the average person in the street just too pricey. Get it down to say three thousand pounds and it's more attractive and subsidise it through taxation or something.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Why would the government do that? Speeding fines are a tax, so the GPS in the car will log your speed and send you a ticket for the government to waste on something else..

That's true
We just had the record ever speeding fines last year sent out to speeders. The got just love us speeding but I'm sure there's plenty of tories who'd like to give us some electrocution at the same time

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Electric vehicles accelerate much better than combustion engine vehicles due to the high torque of the electric motors.

I mean, who doesn't want to go faster?

And extremely quietly. Thats very dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians (not saying if that's good or bad as don't want to implicate myself!).

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

California has done this too, but they'll see more gas cars than the UK will because it's harder to keep people in a state from border hopping to buy cars and that includes used dealers as well as people who simply want to buy new cars.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   

To be fair, where i am we have had repeated Chief Constables that have refused to put permament speed cameras anywhere in the county.

We do get the mobile pop up speed cameras but the law says they have to advertise where they will be and a rough time frame (as in, at some point over the next week we will be on the A such and such dual carriageway).

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join