It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Female Thor ?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Thor existed long before Marvel comics ! Read your myth and not comics and you will understand the great rolls that gender played in them . I celebrate diversity , but stand against the destruction of a based narrative ( men are strong and kick much mule ) for a baseless narrative of physical warrior women . I love Stranger Things 3 , yet Nancy kicking all the ass to save poor androgynous Steve is so dangerous . Women are running around thinking they are tuff and are equal to men in a fight are looking for a harsh dose of reality .

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SulfurMercurySalt

No #?

...and here was me thinking Marvel were giving me history lessons!

They should call themselves Marvel entertainment! I got suckered in by all these fake Documentaries they've been putting out.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Also .... take a breath, if you honestly like your history and myths to be as accurate as you portray, you will know it is littered with tough females, female warriors, female leaders ...

It's OK to have tough Men AND Women, it isn't gender specific to be a badass!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

In the Marvel IP you can do all that you want , but Kirby and Stan borrowed a Male God of War from the Scandinavians ( 25% Dane ) and Marvel is now offending a huge culture for profit . All the while doing it with women in next to nothing cloths and exaggerated private areas ? (Even when the feminist think they are winning they are being abused by men )Yeah I guess I don’t get the story line . Can you explain it to my 100% Danish grandmother who stayed at home and raised 12 children .Now that old Danish women is tuff .

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   

In the Marvel IP you can do all that you want , but Kirby and Stan borrowed a Male God of War from the Scandinavians ( 25% Dane ) and Marvel is now offending a huge culture for profit . All the while doing it with women in next to nothing cloths and exaggerated private areas ? (Even when the feminist think they are winning they are being abused by men )Yeah I guess I don’t get the story line . Can you explain it to my 100% Danish grandmother who stayed at home and raised 12 children .Now that old Danish women is tuff .

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Yeah it is, so many of there, there is no need to sex change a male one. Norse culture was very progressive for it's time when it came to females. There is literally no need to sex change one of their male characters to get a strong female, there's loads of them. Is one of the few cultures where if someone wanted to make a strong female warrior protagonist in ancient times, it would be neither unheard of, or even that rare. Shield Maiden's are badass. We're talking a culture with badass female warrior Gods, Valkyries, I mean the sky's the limit.

Heck they even sort of have gender fluid in the form of Loki, who's both presented as male and female and even birthed weird kids, so even many representations possible in Norse culture, without needing to change one that's established. And yes I'm aware obviously they didn't sex change Thor himself... just the stupid hammer thing and using his name... still dumb and effectively the same level of nonsense and lazy writing.

People have no problem with strong women characters, you will find few people who can think of no strong female characters they love. That people make the claim people just hate strong female characters is nonsense. 80% of my D&D characters are strong female characters, almost every fighter I make in soulcalibur is a strong female character. Most of my favorite characters are strong female characters. # I prefer female singers because I love hearing the female voice. About the only thing I prefer from males is comedy. Not sure why, but for some reason, women just never quite hit that comedic note the same.

What I don't like is when it's badly done or requires stealing from another character. Almost all the best female characters of all time stood on their own without borrowing or stealing from anybody. Women don't need to stand in any man's shadow.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I didn't have to make a claim that people don't like strong female characters, people make that claim themselves all too willingly and I replied accordingly, see above ... That doesn't apply to every criticism of course, but when people just criticize for the sake of criticizing or without knowing the material they are using mostly to political point score it just becomes a ridiculous nuisance.

Here's a spoiler ... Jane becomes a Valkyrie

Jane is a badass in her own right.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Don't need the spoiler to know she should have never been Thor in the first place. Just because they stop being stupid about the character after awhile doesn't negate the first mistake. Especially not when they are decidibg to reboot it.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Exactly how is the comic book Thor offending Scandinavians?

I know a Dane and could ask him if he's offended by it.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   

It's a character journey, she is not eternally replacing anybody ... and they aren't rebooting anything! again the initial moan everybody is having is utterly pointless.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

If they title it Thor or have herself call herself Thor even once they look like idiots and make your badass character look like an idiot as well, thus ruining her.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

...and around in circles we go, sigh! You are complaining about something you don't know about, We have people in here thinking she is replacing male (original) Thor without realizing he has his own story line here too, then we have people in here trying to mix the real mythology with Marvels, then we have people saying no it's non of that she just can't use his name she should be her own warrior, which btw happens as part of the story, and you don't even know the title of the movie you are arguing about? You see what I am getting at here..

The movie is Titled... Thor - Love and Thunder, and that gives you a hint at where they are going, along with the comic books.

edit on VamTuesday56am731 by valiant because: Fat Thor

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Like I said, as long as they don't have her called Thor I'm all good. But then what are they going to call her? They already have a Valkyrie that everyone recognizes. Yes I'm aware that's a title many possess, but such certainly won't make her stand out. If they give her her own movies will they call them Valkyrie?

My point is they're walking a thin line here. We'll see how they handle it.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Sorry I fell into bad form there and cracked a wholly inappropriate joke.
edit on 23-7-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

What they could do is bypass the whole calling herself Thor bs and become the leader of the Valkyries. Then they could have whole movies call Valkyries with her in the lead filled with badass warrior women. That would be pretty cool. They just really really need to avoid the whole calling herself Thor thing or even Thoris, as if adding is makes it less absurd.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Actually a good idea, there were REAL shield maiden's among the Viking's and even though it was harder to achieve that level of skill that just goes to show how good they must have been, there were also real Amazons in southern Russia though the legend of them cutting off one of there breasts is probably just that a legend, still they were tall woman, auburn and red hair with green eye's averaging over 5'7" to over 6' in height and they rode with there menfolk into battle, fierce, there are legend's of similar among the ancient Celt's and of course there were Numerous female Samurai so in the real world there is more than enough precedent (and REAL female pirates).

And both Norse and Greek myth have plenty of female warriors to choose from, the Valkyrie are just one type.

edit on 23-7-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman>>. It's all part of a larger movement to not only break down gender barriers but to remove them completely. And its ultimate goal is to remove identity and individuality from the masses completely. They want to end gender identity under the guise of letting one choose it and it being fluid and arbitrary. They want to end racial identity on the grounds it promotes discrimination and racism. oh, they'll still let the race card be played for political purposes but eventually that will be stopped. They want to end cultural identity on the basis it is backwards and archaic. They want to end national identity on the grounds that open borders and globalism mean freedom of opportunity for everyone. So that will leave us as one people with no differences allowed or acknowledged, no individuality whatsoever. You can say this is a cheap gimmick like the black lady James Bond to shore up a dying dried out franchise. But its more than that.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: watchitburn

Dude Jane Foster has been Thor in the comics going back to 2014....

They do this all the time, I think by this point most of the Marvel heroes have at least one alternative version. The movies are reflecting this.

Did you get mad when X-23 turned up in the comics?

Did you get made when Gwen Stacy put on the spidy suit.

Or what about when the "Savage" She-Hulk came out.

omh she hulk! this is the end of america!

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

Yep I recon you are right
What should I do, bitch on the internet?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join