It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Straight Pride’ parade planned for Boston

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taketwo
We do not need any pride festival or history month we need to move forward as humans and realize they only create segregation and bring back violent pasts we all need to just get over everything and realize everyone is equal no matter orientation or color or social stafus and we all need to drop the monetary system if real change will ever happen and bring peace upon this earth

I agree. We shouldn't be having any dopey parades which would make me ecstatic to see the St. Vomit's Day and Puerto Rican Knifing Day parades in New York go away along with all the rest.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I can't wait for Straight Pride, because it will lead to a real interrogation of "straightness".

Who is represented, and who would they rather not have in their march?
Will they have straight nudists and hippies?
Will they have swingers, single moms (good grief!) and the fetish community?
Will they have religious polygamists, and sects that practice child-marriage?
All these people could be proud to be straight.

Yeah the lens will finally be on you straight people.
What do you include, and what do you straight-wash?

Are kids allowed to be "sexualized" and "brainwashed"?
Will they take a pic of girl kissing her daddy and frame it as pedophilia, like right-wing commentators do for Gay Pride?
It can all be decontextualized after all.

So have your Straight Parade.
Welcome to the club, and its many problems.

Go ahead - expose yourselves.
Although you're a majority already and don't really have to.
But if you want to be masochists - go for it!

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Just to add: sorry sweeties, but straight "camp" just doesn't work.

Unless you find a queer director to this all, I fear (or rather shiver with anticipation) that it may be the biggest laugh of 2019.

The secret to the lgbt march was always that it was always self-mocking in a hyper-aware way, and as such it was more a culture-jamming commentary also.

But that sense of satire and cultural "campness" has now indeed been replaced with too many hardcore and divisive political issues that have little resonance with middle class lgbt people.

So, just as we're going off the deep end, you want to jump in the pool?

I say jump!

Let's laugh ourselves silly!

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
I can't wait for Straight Pride, because it will lead to a real interrogation of "straightness"...

Yeah the lens will finally be on you straight people.
What do you include, and what do you straight-wash?

So have your Straight Parade.
Welcome to the club, and its many problems.

Go ahead - expose yourselves.

Yup. When all is said and done, these organizers may decide to be more careful in what they wish for, because they just might get it and a whole lot more...

For now, I'm content to take a light-hearted approach to this Straight Pride parade, because I really don't know where they want to take it and intend to take it. Like anything, I can see great potential (unlikely) and mediocrity (most likely) and possible catastrophe (also quite likely). And beyond that, whatever the organizers intend isn't necessarily what those joining in will intend or want. It's not like all straight people behave well.

Lots and lots of variables here. I think it's fair to say at this point that anything could happen.

However, for the sake of discussion and speculation and inspiration in general, I think it's a golden opportunity.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I imagine a Straight Pride march must be like a white pow-wow for Native Americans.
(Although it depends, there are some German hobby Indianists, for example, who've garnered a great deal of respect from Native Americans.)

It's likely to be a parody of a parody.

Hurry sweeties, tell your wife to hurry with the straight costumes.

I seriously cannot wait to behold it!
edit on 9-6-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Oh no we're all going to sit there with our Kleenex tissues crying.

They're trying to be tricky with the trickster culture, that we made them aware of.

They stole our precious.

Thieves ... little cultural thieves.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What could I wear for Straight Pride Day?

I don't know, but all the male uniforms are so gay.

And if you're bi?

You can play the trumpet on the straight march and the drum during the gay march.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

And now you've lost me...

I am so weary of the stereotypes automatically applied to entire groups of people. I am so weary of the best behavior being ignored in order to believe the worst of everyone. Or the opposite side of the coin, only seeing the best among one's own people and refusing to see the worst. I am so weary of the self-fulfilling prophecies. Of course if you refuse to see or acknowledge anything except the worst in some people then it's easy to believe the worst of everyone.... and vice versa.

With such attitudes, it's impossible for anything to get better, because some people refuse to let it.

And too often, I think that's exactly what some folks want. Either they want everyone to be just as miserable as them in their small little minds... or they just want to sit on their high horses and look down on everyone else.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Huh, how did you come to that conclusion from what I wrote?

I'm just saying it will be a parody of a parody (in the sense that lgbt culture often parodied mainstream hetero culture).
And now they want to copy the lgbt "pride trope" and appropriate it for themselves.

But I think they soon realize, they may run into some ideological problems.
Not concerning us.
Between the hetero "community".

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Excuse me? Three posts now in a row to mock and insult and ridicule people.

You have to ask? Really???

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Forgiveness, but no irony allowed?

Yeah and I'm talking from my own queer position.

Maybe not everyone's taste, but I'm mocking myself.

It's not about anyone else at the moment, it's a discussion in myself about the issue.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Okay... I gotcha now... and my apologies. I read your posts from where my own head is at.

Sheesh at myself now... Irony indeed, eh?

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: Barcs
Comical. Straight pride (aka we hate non straights).

Interesting take... especially when one of the organizers is gay.

So apparently you think lesbians hate non lesbians? And gays hate non gays? Transgenders hate non transgenders? And so on... Am I getting your logic right here?

That's a weird conclusion to draw from my post. Look, it's obvious here. The idea of needing a "straight pride" march is pure bigotry, especially during pride month. It is literally just a shot at them to counter what they did because they are super offended by it. They aren't doing it for pride in their sexuality, they don't need to, straight themes are literally ALL OVER SOCIETY from top to bottom. They are literally there to say LGBTQ are going to hell.

Straight people aren't oppressed and discriminated against, while LGBTQ are STILL oppressed and discriminated against CONSTANTLY (and in some cases killed for it), so having a pride parade makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to have a counter parade just to take the piss.

It's like how the KKK has parades. We all know it's not about pride in being white, it's about hatred of non whites. Sure they have the right to do it, but they can't deny their bigotry.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum
Left, straight, black, white, gay straight.

I thought we got past this as a society, now we are heading backwards.

Call me when the HUMAN pride parade happens.

The problem with that is that humans are bottom feeding parasites. Not much to take pride in other than evolutionary luck.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
Oh no we're all going to sit there with our Kleenex tissues crying.

They're trying to be tricky with the trickster culture, that we made them aware of.

They stole our precious.

Thieves ... little cultural thieves.

Well indeed, unless you're historically brain-dead, it is obvious the "Straight Pride" is a derivative of "Gay Pride".

It is not an original thought that they had, clearly it is a derivative source at best, or an appropriated (stolen) thought at worst.

That's fine, just acknowledge your sources.
Straight Pride would like to thank all the lgbt marches in the past, simply for the idea.
Yeah, come on be honest, you're plagiarizing queer culture.

You know, you're copying the people that you despise again.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Straight pride is a slippery slope. First we allow em to marry, soon they will be lobbying to have straight sex with children and animals. Same thing basically.

edit on 6 9 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

That's a weird conclusion to draw from my post.

Not weird at all... you stated that straight people hate non-straight people. So, ipso facto, gay people must hate non-gay people, and so on and so forth.

Of course, it's not the only possibility. Perhaps you just have double standards, and want to believe different motives for doing the same thing; i.e., gay people have parades for good reasons but straight people have parades for bad reasons.

Look, it's obvious here.

Obvious, huh? No, actually, it's not.

The idea of needing a "straight pride" march is pure bigotry...

Perhaps you have noticed folks talking about something called "toxic masculinity," in which heterosexual males have been taken to task for the very inappropriate sexual behavior of some men? That's just one reason that some men (and women) might think a Straight Pride Parade is a good thing. Which has absolutely nothing to do with bigotry -- or the LGBT community at all.

...especially during pride month.

Well, actually, the Straight Pride parade will be held in August, not during Gay Pride month. And the organizers did not want this media attention now for this very reason, but someone else decided to give it media attention.

It is literally just a shot at them to counter what they did because they are super offended by it. They aren't doing it for pride in their sexuality, they don't need to, straight themes are literally ALL OVER SOCIETY from top to bottom.

Yes... both positive and negative.

They are literally there to say LGBTQ are going to hell.

Well, you don't know that. You don't know the hearts and minds of the organizers. And they have said absolutely nothing to that effect.

And I sure don't think the gay organizer is saying that LGBTQ are going to hell. And I have no reason to believe the other two are saying that either. It doesn't have to be a competition. It's not either/or.

Straight people aren't oppressed and discriminated against, while LGBTQ are STILL oppressed and discriminated against CONSTANTLY (and in some cases killed for it), so having a pride parade makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to have a counter parade just to take the piss.

Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not. Don't like it, don't go.

It's like how the KKK has parades. We all know it's not about pride in being white, it's about hatred of non whites. Sure they have the right to do it, but they can't deny their bigotry.

By their own definition, the KKK is all about bigotry and supremacy. So, yeah, no duh -- their parades reflect that.

But it's impossible to ascribe the same attitudes, motives and desires to all straight people. That's ridiculous. And especially the hateful motives you suggest, when the organizers include a gay person, the plans include a gay guest speaker, and they have welcomed the LGBT community with open arms.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Sorry but I can just imagine the echo: "We are great; we are straight!"

Some would find it alarming, but I'd think it would be hilarious.

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Oh my Gawd it's the Straight March ... and they brought the crotch-fruit.
Everybody run and hide!
Save yourselves before it is too late!

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   

7.53 billion of us , do we really need a "straight" parade

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join