It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dystopian future is here. Billboard targeting Black women equates abortion to self-care.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I’m sure you welcome folks telling you how to live your life? By your logic, if i don’t let you control me, i’m racist?

I'm not referring to you personally. I'm saying the lefties embrace a double standard that is unbelievable. As I said, they're free to tell you how to live your life, but not vice-versa. If you disagree with them, you're the enemy. You're not allowed to have a different point of view.
Truth is the new hate speech.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I’m sure you welcome folks telling you how to live your life? By your logic, if i don’t let you control me, i’m racist?

I'm not referring to you personally. I'm saying the lefties embrace a double standard that is unbelievable. As I said, they're free to tell you how to live your life, but not vice-versa. If you disagree with them, you're the enemy. You're not allowed to have a different point of view.
Truth is the new hate speech.
Until you stop seeing people as lefties or righties, the big picture will elude you. Not all people fit into neatly packaged boxes.

Both sides try to control you. Do you even realise, that If you want to ban abortions, you are trying to control people? Do you not get that? The people who you would call righties are the one’s trying to control people’s lives in this scenario.

I’m saying.

Stay out of people’s business
edit on 20-5-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
With regards to the Afiya Center:

Our mission is to serve Black women and girls by transforming their relationship with their sexual and reproductive health through addressing the consequences of reproduction oppression.

About Us

Marsha Jones is a Dallas, Texas native and Co-founder and Executive Director of The Afiya Center. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and is graduate of the Black AIDS Institute’s African American HIV University (Science and Community Mobilizing Fellowship Program) and Tyndale Theology School.

Deneen Robinson serves as the Policy Director for The Afiya Center. Deneen’s commitment to service began at an early age— as her mother likes to say, she has always been helping someone. Later in life, Deneen navigated homelessness, motherhood, continuing her education, and eventually an HIV+ diagnosis.

Inspired, at once, by radical philosophers and tulips, Emma Robinson is looking for beauty. As a mechanism for change, and source of inspiration, Emma uses beauty as the driving force behind her activism. ... A Texan at heart, she’s especially impassioned about bringing this energy in the South, as a means of completing ancestor business and working in a long line of women committed to making the world suck less for their families and communities.

Helen Zimba is a Dallas based, international HIV and reproductive justice leader. Ms. Zimba’s professional background encompasses both business management and communications, as well as extensive experience in the field of community health.

Te’Quan La’Shelle Penny is a fiercely independent woman who, after raising children through adolescence and into adulthood while successfully managing legal blindness, is working as the receptionist at The Afiya Center. She has two girls; one by marriage a son she gained after the death of his mother and a 2nd son who is also her nephew.

Our Team

Their website was registered by Domains by Proxy according to whois searches. I am trying to find out what name they do business under and see if I can determine where their funding originates. They have a donate page on their site, but it does not say to whom donates funds are payable unless you complete the form and I'm not quite arsed enough to go that far.

They really tout, "reproductive justice," as one of their main driving inspirations. According to Wikipedia:

The term reproductive justice combines reproductive rights and social justice. It was coined and formulated as an organizing framework by a group of Black women who came together for that purpose in 1994 and called themselves Women of African Descent for Reproductive Justice.[2]

That references a group called, "Sister Song." Following up on that led me here:

he SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Justice Collective is a network of local, regional and national grassroots agencies representing five primary ethnic populations/indigenous nations in the United States: African American, Arab American/Middle Eastern, Asian/Pacific Islander, Latina, and Native American/Indigenous. The Collective was formed in 1997 and initially funded by the Ford Foundation to educate women of color and policy makers on reproductive and sexual health and rights, and to work towards the access of health services, information and resources that are culturally and linguistically appropriate. SisterSong agencies achieve these goals through public policy work, advocacy, service delivery and health education within their communities on the local, national and international levels. Formerly called SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective, in 2009 the organization changed it's name to SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Justice Collective.

SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Justice Collective records, 1996-2010 (ongoing)

Elsewhere:

Ford Foundation

Ford isn't a huge player in the abortion space, but it weighs in at times, and sometimes the grants are large. For instance, it gave Planned Federation of America a $1 million grant in 2015. If you dig through Ford's grants database, you'll find various grants for U.S. pro-choice work here and there.

Long Distance Funders: The Money Behind the Endless Abortion Battles

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Boadicea

Not targeting you specifically, but the argument in general.

Out of such arguments, many of our present dilemmas are born, including the high rate of broken families in society. All of this is causing a lot of problems top to bottom.

I agree. It's become quite obvious. And that's pretty much how I got where I am. Conceiving an unwanted child takes two -- a man and a woman. Unless and until both men and women are part of the solution, there will continue to be unwanted children, and there will continue to be abortions -- legal or illegal.

Talk is cheap. If we want to end abortions, we need to end unwanted pregnancies, and in order to end unwanted pregnancies, men need to control their seed.

Don’t you mean, men and women need to be more responsible? This isn’t a competition, it’s not like women don’t get horny. It’s not like people don’t use sex as stress relief, or do it for fun.

It’s not one side’s problem. And you are old enough to know better than to say that.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Texas has truly fallen: a pro-abortion advertisement in TEXAS!

Yeah, shame on Texas for free speech by some small organization. Wait, I forgot, the billboard company should deny them as a customer based on religious grounds. What is next, blowing up the billboard.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Don’t you mean, men and women need to be more responsible? This isn’t a competition, it’s not like women don’t get horny. It’s not like people don’t use sex as stress relief, or do it for fun. It’s not one side’s problem. And you are old enough to know better than to say that.

Oh dear lordy...

And you're sure as hell old enough to know that women MUST deal with unwanted pregnancies... one way or another, sooner or later. Women don't get to walk away like men!!! Women HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!!

The laws in question do not mention the fathers in any way, shape or form. That's why I said fathers have to take responsibility. And I will now add that fathers have to be held accountable as well as women for unwanted pregnancies.

Women can and will release eggs like clockwork. Women have no conscious control or choice over their fertility. Men do have a choice in when, where and how they spread their seed. No eggs can or will be fertilized without that seed. In that sense, men have far more control -- and therefore responsibility -- than women.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Well to be fair and honest, some women do try to get pregnant. Whether to try and force a man deeper into a relationship or just be able to make use of the social welfare network.

A baby cannot be created without a man's seed so it is obvious that a man who wishes to avoid being responsible will be more responsible about distributing his own seed.

Women who do not wish to be pregnant nor a responsible mother should do the same. If more were educated on methods of actual birth control...then there would not be so much division about after care and parental financial, emotional, nor ethical responsibilities.

Personal responsibility is needed no matter the gender. That is something that seems to be lacking in our educational system today.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: gladtobehere

Stay out of other people’s business

Tell that to friggen bill boards then.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Progressive Leftists have long embraced the Culture of Death. Abortion, killing off the elderly, whatever. If its about killing human beings they are all for it.

Not much you can do to change that fact.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

For a very small percentage of women, the purpose of an abortion is a life or death situation. For the large percentage of women, the purpose of an abortion is birth control.

Are you okay that "women can decide to kill a man's child without any repercussions"?

I have no stance on abortion other than a man should have a decision in the matter if he is involved. I think it's ridiculous a man's baby can be killed without any discussion with the father. Yet the father is on the hook regardless of the outcome.

Why doesn't the man get a choice? Maybe his life isn't in the right place to have a baby at the moment...you know the same excuse so many women use to justify an abortion. All I'm saying is if they want to continue not allowing the father a say, then the man should have the decision to support or not support their child as well.

And if that's the case, then why should men have any input at all? If the man carries no responsibility, then the man has no say in what the mother does or does not do. Period.

The man carries a ton of responsibility. Just ask all those that randomly lost their job throughout the recession and have been locked away in jail because they couldn't keep up with their payments. Plus, against what you may have heard. There are a lot of men out there that love being a dad. I don't know what I would do without my kids.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Abortion.

Do it for the children.

I read a blurb in the local paper here, about the abortion debate.

One mother said her abortion was the best decision she ever made - for her, and her baby.

What sort of SICK crap is that.

A: It's never the best decision. It's a decision that should be made under the worst of circumstance, not a bloody joyous occasion. And the result should be a melancholy regret, even under necessity. You killed your baby, perhaps to save your life, but nonetheless, not a 'best decision ever'...
B: She said 'for a baby I didn't even want'.. lets kill everyone we don't want. Bad marriage, kill your husband. Best decision I ever made, for me and my husband. He wasn't wanted anyway...

A child born without love, can still find it. Let the child be the decider in their own life. Not your selfish 'I just didn't want to' after you shagged Pretentious Paul at the local after one too many cocksucking cowboys.

But this is the mindset of the majority of abortion supporters. It's their choice. Murder is their choice.

If there is a medical reason, or a criminal case surrounding it such as with a rape victim, it is an unfortunate thing. And I don't ever put my opinions on others directly involved... but my opinions are my opinions. and the majority of abortions are purely selfish acts of disregard for their child. THEIR CHILD.

Once conceived, I don't give two hoots about the qualification of is it a life or not, it's something mothers throughout history have known... there is that connection. It's not just a lump of cells in their belly.

Convenient abortions are in my mind, absolutely murder.

Have at it feminists...

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

The first thing I find insulting and offensive about this billboard is that it is only directed at black women. What is up with that? I certainly don't agree to abortion as a method of birth control but why direct this at one racial ethnicity rather than all women?

Because #BlackLivesMatter

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

That's hilarious, and a perfect example of the leftist ideology. They want to control every aspect of our lives, but if someone so much as makes a comment on their life choices, look out! "How dare you intrude on our business, you racist! You white nationalist! You hater!"
How is “stay out of people’s business” a partisan issue?

I’m sure you welcome folks telling you how to live your life? By your logic, if i don’t let you control me, i’m racist? Because i want you to leave people alone, ?

Uhh they do control certain aspects of our lives.

You go kill someone, you're charged with murder and that is a crime.

You think you are not controlled? And rightly so? But abortion, stay out of my murdery wants you nosey parker...

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Not targeting you specifically, but the argument in general.

Out of such arguments, many of our present dilemmas are born, including the high rate of broken families in society. All of this is causing a lot of problems top to bottom.
And you want to fix this by forcing women to have more kids they don’t want?

The easiest solution to that is stop having random sex.

Too hard, I know.. a dog's gotta eat, right?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There is a time and place for abortions. I'm not seeing that with any of this current movement, all I see is … well … why don't we all stop beating around the bush about this. Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to "Eugenics 2.0".

This isn't about health issues of the mom, this isn't about dealing with a forced pregnancy, this is just about removing perceived bad genes from the gene pool. It doesn't even take much logical thinking to see it either. Target the Black community due to the high rates of crime. Latino communities get spared because they are good workers. Even though Latinos have more children than blacks do. You don't see Asians or Europeans getting targeted like blacks, you also see an unfortunate up tick in using possible genic disorders as a reason to abort. It's not about racism, it's all about elitism.

I know, I know, but but but blacks are being targeted. They are being targeted not because the color of their skin, but rather because of the perceived threat to the status quo. If the crime in … say … the Asian community was to explode, then you can rest a sure that you would be seeing billboards with Asians on it. I'm surprised that we aren't seeing these billboards with lower middle class whites on it, pushing the same message. Then again looking at the homeless/homefree populations from a purely race stand point, and you will see that whites are more compliant when directed to do something, then say a working class person of any race.

These elitists are pushing their Trotskyist programs, with their own brand of eugenics thrown in for good message. People, don't get fooled into thinking that this is about race, it isn't, it's about elitism and it's being allowed because too many people have become compliant to their agenda out of fear of being labeled this or that.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

You're right: What we are doing now and have been doing is screwed up, does not work, and we see it in the end results every day. So we agree on what not to do. Great.

So now that we know what doesn't work, we need to figure out what will work.

Babies cannot be conceived without a sperm donor. Men are part of the problem. Ergo, men must be part of the solution.

What is our true purpose here? And how do we achieve that?

I am saying that if our true and ultimate purpose is to value and nurture life, then we must eliminate -- or at least minimize -- unwanted pregnancies of necessity in order to eliminate -- or minimize -- abortions. And men must do their part or be held accountable.

How we do so is our challenge.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

i guess we can share that hat then. the first thing that came to mind was "oh, so black population control, discrimination through the illusion of empowerment"

but i refrained from adding that just because there are too many people in my real life calling me a cynical bunghole.
I start to wonder if they are just not cynical enough...

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
There is a dark side to this "self-care." Do they tell these women that having too many abortions can damage a woman's ability to conceive when they might decide to finally keep a child?

If abortions are no big deal, then why can they damage a woman's body? This is not "self-care," this is a serious medical procedure. They are speaking of it like it is something it is a pap smear or something simple like that. It is clearly not for so many reasons.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

****************BINGO

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I agree with you that personal choices should not be something we all judge, that's why they are "personal". But in the context of this thread, an advertisement for killing babies is hardly staying out of people's business. Why not promote safe sex? Promote responsible adulthood? Promote integrity and responsibility?

Teach kids not to have unprotected sex before you teach them how easy it is to murder an unborn child.
It's a wonder they didn't offer a coupon for $100 off your first abortion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join