It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dystopian future is here. Billboard targeting Black women equates abortion to self-care.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

'Abortion is self-care': Dallas billboard triggers outrage.

A billboard in Dallas is asking passersby to #TrustBlackWomen.

The billboard features three smiling black women and the tagline, “Black women take care of their families by taking care of themselves.”

And in bigger, bolder letters: “Abortion is self-care.”

The billboard was paid for by the advocacy group The Afiya Center, which focuses on black women’s reproductive rights and health.

“We are unapologetic in our approach and fight hard to change the harmful reproductive health and abortion policies that directly impact the lives of Black women,” The Afiya Center says on its website.

Texas has truly fallen: a pro-abortion advertisement in TEXAS!

I am not pro-abortion.

As a libertarian, I am 100% pro-life in every way.

I view abortion as the killing of a baby, the taking of a human life. The most disturbing aspect may be the fact that the overwhelming percentage of abortions are simply birth control...

There is an unbelievable amount of money, time and effort that goes into the pro-abortion and pro-life movements.

Imagine if we could take all of these resources and convince people to simply AVOID THE PREGNANCY. Avoiding the pregnancy would literally eliminate about 96% of abortions.

If you havent seen the movie Children of Men, I highly recommend it, even if you dont like dystopian thrillers.

Throughout the movie, there are ads for a government provided suicide kit called Quietus.

Seeing this billboard truly feels as though we're living in a dystopian future as depicted in movies.

Fact is, we dont value life, at-least not anymore.

Whether its the lives of people here at home or the lives of those overseas.

There are those who think that the world is overpopulated and that these same people have enacted a worldwide eugenics program.

This is not how things have to be.

edit on 20-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Stay out of other people’s business

+32 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Does that billboard?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Abortion as self-care may very well be the future... just not how this billboard intended. Women's groups are already spreading information on how to get the job done without a middle man...

At some point, if we really want to end unwanted pregnancies, the sperm donor needs to be part of the solution. No pregnancy occurs without that voluntary donation. There needs to be repercussions for irresponsibly fathering unwanted children as well.

+6 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The billboard is horrible.

Having an abortion is kinda the opposite of "taking care of Your family" (unless Your the MOB).

I am not against necessary abortions (health, rape, incest) I am against abortions used simply for Birth Control.

+20 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Abortion.

Do it for the children.

+6 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
what bothers me the most is what OP mentioned as well and i think it's the key message being sent out: a pregnancy is a disease, an infection to be cured. abortion is self care? really? like getting rid or callouses or trimming your nose hair?
I'm not against abortions, but even i take issue with how superficial people seem to be about it.
And yes, in most cases, it is a form of late birth control, i am at a loss for words.
there are what? 20 different types of birth control for both men and women, and you literally need to avoid having an orgasm in a very specific place to reduce your chances to zero.
So many ways to avoid needing an abortion and instead of making those cheaper, more accessible, or educating people on their use, we go straight to "swat it away like a bug on your shirt"

what the hell?

+18 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Let me don my SJW hat:

Let's discuss the problematic aspect of this ad. It's targeted at black women as if saying, "Hey, black women, we recognize that you are the only women on the planet too dumb and animalistic to be able to control your mating urges enough to either use birth control or avoid sex."

But this is part of Margaret Sanger's mission isn't it?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

There needs to be repercussions for irresponsibly fathering unwanted children as well.

Why though? Women can decide to kill a man's child without any repercussions. Why can't a man decide he doesn't want a child and just ignore the woman and child. At least he isn't killing anyone or taking the life of anything, right?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Wow, the left found a way to make abortion a racist issue...watch

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

The first thing I find insulting and offensive about this billboard is that it is only directed at black women. What is up with that? I certainly don't agree to abortion as a method of birth control but why direct this at one racial ethnicity rather than all women?

+12 more 
posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

That's hilarious, and a perfect example of the leftist ideology. They want to control every aspect of our lives, but if someone so much as makes a comment on their life choices, look out! "How dare you intrude on our business, you racist! You white nationalist! You hater!"

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: Woodcarver

That's hilarious, and a perfect example of the leftist ideology. They want to control every aspect of our lives, but if someone so much as makes a comment on their life choices, look out! "How dare you intrude on our business, you racist! You white nationalist! You hater!"
How is “stay out of people’s business” a partisan issue?

I’m sure you welcome folks telling you how to live your life? By your logic, if i don’t let you control me, i’m racist? Because i want you to leave people alone, ?
edit on 20-5-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I know. It's terribly tone deaf, isn't it? I'll bet the people who made it get a pass though because they're appropriately woke or something.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

There needs to be repercussions for irresponsibly fathering unwanted children as well.

Why though? Women can decide to kill a man's child without any repercussions. Why can't a man decide he doesn't want a child and just ignore the woman and child. At least he isn't killing anyone or taking the life of anything, right?

Um... really? Do we care about life or not? If the purpose of anti-abortion laws is to respect, honor and nurture life, then the answer is obvious... if the answer isn't obvious, then the purpose of anti-abortion laws is obviously not to respect, honor and nurture life. So what is the purpose???

Are you okay that "women can decide to kill a man's child without any repercussions"? Or are you complaining? Is this something that needs to be addressed and changed? Or are you simply making a moral equivalency?

And if a man can produce children but not care about the mother or child, then why should the woman care about the man or the child? Why the double standard?

And if that's the case, then why should men have any input at all? If the man carries no responsibility, then the man has no say in what the mother does or does not do. Period.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Not targeting you specifically, but the argument in general.

Out of such arguments, many of our present dilemmas are born, including the high rate of broken families in society. All of this is causing a lot of problems top to bottom.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Let me don my SJW hat:

Let's discuss the problematic aspect of this ad. It's targeted at black women as if saying, "Hey, black women, we recognize that you are the only women on the planet too dumb and animalistic to be able to control your mating urges enough to either use birth control or avoid sex."

But this is part of Margaret Sanger's mission isn't it?

That's how I understand it...

Planned Parenthood and abortion were always intended to target Black women and reduce procreation. It wasn't even a secret, was it?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Out of such arguments, many of our present dilemmas are born, including the high rate of broken families in society. All of this is causing a lot of problems top to bottom.
And you want to fix this by forcing women to have more kids they don’t want?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I agree. It's become quite obvious. And that's pretty much how I got where I am. Conceiving an unwanted child takes two -- a man and a woman. Unless and until both men and women are part of the solution, there will continue to be unwanted children, and there will continue to be abortions -- legal or illegal.

Talk is cheap. If we want to end abortions, we need to end unwanted pregnancies, and in order to end unwanted pregnancies, men need to control their seed.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Star this quote if you want to ban abortion because you think god disaproves.
edit on 20-5-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join