It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't imagine not having a national health service funded by taxes.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It is mostly in jest Cornish, I can honestly say I have no desire to see the UK "nuked" But if you're serious about the Washington offer....

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It is funny you say that, I have this old info graphic from when NK was doing a lot of saber rattling

Of course if this scenario holds true, it meant things went nuclear and that is certainly not good for our allies in the region (or us, for that matter)

Using "Nuke Map" I simulated what ~200 MIRV nuclear warheads from Trident SLBMs would look like. The dots capture the fire ball, radiation, heat and over-pressure up to 5psi (destroys most residential and commercial buildings). I believe we have something like 22-24 of these "SSBN/SSGN" boats but I have no idea how many are on patrol at any given time. The destruction show above, terrifyingly enough, can be wrought by a single one of these Ohio class "boomers"
edit on 11/9/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

It is mostly in jest Cornish, I can honestly say I have no desire to see the UK "nuked" But if you're serious about the Washington offer....
Lmao, I expected someone to say that about Washington!
It's all good mate, we're off-topic as # but the spirit is with good intent.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Goalpost moving? You didn't even respond to my previous reply to you.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

That's truly terrifying, holy crap that's a lot of firepower.. Now that has me wondering how much universal healthcare would there would be in the cost of one of those subs and it's payload....

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Cornish CeltGuy and Burdman start a nuclear war over an Internet post.

Somehow I suspect the correct answer regarding healthcare lies somewhere between you two. Both points of view have their own unique set of issues.

A nanny state breeds unmotivated, kept people as a matter of course. A state that does not care for it's disabled and elderly is a sick state. There is no one right answer to fit all countries and cultures.

How about we respect each others cultures and leave the decisions local instead of badmouthing each other to no end, leading to nothing.

Now back to waiting for the nukes to fly.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
Lmao, I love the discussion and how it flows, obvs I'm not advocating nuking US soil haha!
This has been a funny thread. As I always say I'm here for amusement, entertainment, and debate, and I found it in this thread for sure!

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Can you imagine actually recieving the majority of the paycheck you worked for rather than being forced to pay the majority of it to the government which did nothing but sit on it's ass with it's hand jammed in your pocket?

We do in Europe OECD and UK. US healcatre spending per capita is two and a half times the cost of the NHS and National Insurance/Pensions, welfare, care for vulnerable/mentally ill disabled, unemployes etc..combined and we have a far higher standard or care,value for money, national health avg.

I'm epileptic and gave a brain injury after a car ran me over in a bit and run, ended my career. So far this month I had a seizure losing four days starting Friday afternoon - all my medication (around 300 tablets a month are free), an ambulance arrived 5 minutes after the seizure (free watch and intercom to all emergency services if I fall and same for motion sensors in bed.

Was seen by paramedics the Drm, then neurologist then peronal epilepsy nurse, then radiographer and technician, then neuro rehab then had MRI and CT scan, then bloods tested, got results in 10 mins sodium was dangerously low had appointment booked for blood test clinic of my choice the next day, wait was under five minutes, recieved results four hours later that all is back to normal, liver, kidneys etc all good - this morning GP asked to see me, had 30 minute chat to make sure all bases were covered and if any possible improvement could be made. Epilepsy nurse and consultant came for visit that afternoon.

Was in hospital a total of 2 hours for all those procedures, a single CT scan costs $8000. Would cost around $700,000 a year if I lived in the US or bare minimum of $75k for the last four days.

Can't think of a better use for tax then to provide universal healthcare, proud to pay it. Everyone benefits from it. Same can't be said for war, nukes, backhanders, number worshiping, RAND style stuff,

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion
Massively agree.
Mates missus had a stroke on the stairs then broke he skull in the fall down a few weeks ago, all treatment free at the point of need. Same with the ongoing treatment.
That is the sign of a caring society.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

In my defense, I never once mentioned nukes. I mentioned missile defense of incoming nukes, but, as you know, I am a firm believer in the fact that the US can whip any asses it encounters using traditional weaponry alone. That said, if we're ever teetering on the edge of certain defeat, I expect and applaud whoever our president is to do the right thing and hit the "Launch all" button, rendering the planet uninhabitable out of little more than spite and getting the last laugh.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

With my current insurance, which is part of my employment but which I still pay into, that would cost me $5,000. That's my out of pocket maximum for an individual. Plus you can add in the $10k per year I pay into the insurance premium from pocket. Prior to America's attempt at universal (albeit non-single payer universal) healthcare, AKA "Obamacare," the same insurance plan cost me about $1,200 a year and my out of pocket maximum was $1,000 with a $500 deductible.

This country's efforts to insure everyone has caused my costs to skyrocket. For obvious reasons I have zero desire to see the government try to "help make things affordable" for me again, I simply cannot afford their help.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

If I didn't know you two's posting styles I'd be concerned. I got a good laugh out of it.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

If push ever comes to shove, no doubt the UK would be our best buddies.

I also have no doubt about the strength of the US military. One of our greatest strengths is our allies. We may bicker, but in the end, we know who's missiles will be aimed at what. Lets pray this old world finds a way to not have another world war.

We need to survive for our future membership in the Galactic Council.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

That makes three of us

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

You know I feel the pain. $1,600 a month for my household and a now $17,000 deductible.

You know I'm for universal Medicare and I think it will be cheaper if done right. This Obamacare though, was a total scam.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Single payer, but done right

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

That said, if we're ever teetering on the edge of certain defeat, I expect and applaud whoever our president is to do the right thing and hit the "Launch all" button, rendering the planet uninhabitable out of little more than spite and getting the last laugh.

Selfish. I hope you never get into any position of power. You'd screw over every living thing on this planet out of spite. You should feel terrible about yourself if that's how you truly feel.

Luckily you are relegated to being and ATS mod. Thank God.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Now that is an excellent and thought provoking question

Probably quite a bit

(it is pretty terrifying, lets hope those missiles never fly!)

I have always felt we largely kept such a large nuclear stockpile to intentionally bankrupt Russia. They would be all too happy to reduce to Chinese-level stockpiles (which I believe are based on "unacceptable level of destruction" vs. "mutual & absolute annihilation" and spend that money elsewhere I am sure. Frankly, we could use it elsewhere as well

Good to know we hold the sword of Damocles, yet at the same time it is sobering because you realize exactly what that means and entails. Ah, I have always said that given the ridiculous taxes we pay there is no excuse why any American is starving or sick due to lack of insurance
edit on 11/9/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Well, actually in the US there is taxpayer funded Medicaid. You don't lack healthcare in the US if you are poor, because the taxed people pay, but you must wait forever for care, and have Uncle Sugar make your healthcare and personal life choices for you in return. It is a real 'Sophie's Choice' situation, IMHO

edit on 9-11-2018 by Fowlerstoad because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You're right to hope I never am placed in a position of power. Good call.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join