It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrick Stewart tipped for new Star Trek show as Picard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Patrick Stewart tipped for new Star Trek show as Picard

Red alert! Captain Jean-Luc Picard may be travelling at warp speed back to space: the final frontier right at this very moment.

The Hollywood Reporter claimed on Tuesday (June 19) that Sir Patrick Stewart is attached to a brand new Star Trek series in development at CBS that will see him reprise his Next Generation role as Picard.

The project is reportedly one of several Star Trek series and miniseries that are being developed by Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman as part of his newly-signed multi-year production pact with CBS.

Click link for article...

So apparently there are a few possible Star Trek tv series being developed right now and the return of Captain Picard is one possibility. During question time there was a question about a new series and Patrick Stewarts response hinted at his return to the tv screen in a new series. In other interviews Stewart has said that Picard would not be coming back with 1 exception. He would have to be shown a brilliant idea and it would need to include actors from the other star trek tv shows.

I was disappointed with Star Trek: Discovery and became even more disappointed with the reasons it was so bad (imo). I was hoping for a series that advanced the timeline in the Star Trek universe that came after Deep Space 9. When we started getting the reboots I was irritated and when the new series hit I threw in the towel on hoping for something good.

The only thing I held out hope for was the idea that the new series could become an anthology of sorts with the first season being set in the timeline it is now and then advancing the timeline ahead in season 2 and so on and so on.

Either way there is a glimmer of hope for star trek fans that we might return to sanity...

Engage

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I didn't watch Discovery. (And trust me I am a die-hard Trekker.)

Once I heard it was an online exclusive instead of an actual show, I jumped ship (is this what happened to it? I don't know because I don't watch TV anymore...)

I'm not interested in apps or online exclusives.

Anyways, Trek will never be as magical as TNG or DS9 so I feel okay leaving the franchise behind.

Voyager ticked me off some and it just got worse and worse and worse and worse...

edit on 20-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Geriatric Star Trek, No..... no no no....

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

That's your beef?

Hell, just bring good writing and wonderment back to the show instead of all this revenge villain du jour crap.

I don't care if they're 108 or if Danny Devito is the captain, just make it about exploring the unknown again.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It was bizarre how they built up into that huge canon of universe development, characters, and so on, then let the entire franchise and all they built to shrivel up into dust for decades.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hell yes, this is the best news Ive read on ATS in a while, lol

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Agreed...

When Paramount and CBS merged and then split again years later there was a split in the franchise. One company got the rights to the movies and the other got the rights to the tv series. For whatever reasons (greed imo) when the new tv series was being developed the owner of the movies would not allow the use of trek cannon - like uniforms and Klingons. From what I heard they were wanting way to much money and wanted profit sharing and the company who owns the TV franchise didnt want to shell it out.

The result of that was the stupid hybrid that we got in Discovery. Essentially the look and feel of the Kelvin timeline set in the prime universe. This allowed the use of the, again, new uniforms and the Klingon name and back story but not the look we see from the old tv shows (TNG/DS9/VOY).

When the discovery series was coming together the original guy behind it ended up leaving over creative differences with the studio VP. Supposedly when he left he began working on a new ST tv series and when Discovery came out it pissed a lot of die hard fans off (me included). To be clear my issue is not with the actors but the timeline the show is set and the issue of having a series set before the original / during the timeline of TOS while looking more advanced than anything we saw on TNG/DS9/VOY.

Essentially greed got in the way to have a sole tv series without having to pay to use traditional trek stuff.

At least that is what I heard. Who knows if its true. I tend to believe it is just from my own personal view of the show.

Either way a new series set in an advancing timeline from DS9 would be welcome. If it included Picard and the cast members (or some) from the big 3 I would be happy. Even if it only included all new cast members I would be happy.
edit on 20-6-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Admiral Picard and Janeway.
Admiral William T. Riker
Captain Wesley Crusher
Captain Harry Kim
Captain Nog

Lot of possible variations if the timeline is advanced. Use the original characters to establish the link between old and new and develop original low ranking members to upper ranks and introduce new younger crew members to set the expansion possibility of the series / franchise down the road.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I was not a fan of Star Trek 09 or Into Darkness.

Star Trek Beyond almost felt like a TOS episode until they brought out the revenge villain du jour.

Again, I was so uninspired to watch Discovery at that point. It didn't help that I heard from multiple sources that it's basically Social Justice Warrior Trek.

I was, however, inspired to break out my DS9 dvd box set though

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

discovery wasnt bad ,wasnt great but was far from bad ,i too decided to not get cbs to watch it....but was not bad . tilly was amazing and the work of the guy who played saru was epic and the actress that played phillipa gerogiru sp? was one of the highlights

i wonder how much money they are throwing at stewart to get him back into trek as when TNG came out he was not exactly its biggest fan but sort of warmed up to it

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Captain Pichard....Retired as Captain, did not want a desk job, still active as an occasional consultant, and Borg expert.

Admiral Kirk.....Retired, playing golf and singing in the shower......misses Admiral Spock.

Rear Admiral Riker.....desk job, stress related, will retire soon.

Mr. Data.....Special envoy for non Biological life forms.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Well, don't get me wrong. I loved TOS and TNG (and enjoyed DS9 and Voyager) but I think Star Trek is played out. They were in the zone when TNG was in full swing at the height of it's popularity. They had a cast that was young and loved. They made a big mistake when they ended TNG and sent the Star Trek name into a death spiral it never really came out of. DS9 and Voyager would not have made one season without the prestige of the Star Trek name attached to them. I mean, they were good in their own way but no one would have watched that for 7 seasons if they hadn't been Trek.

Stewart is too old to bring things back to that level now. Some of the other TNG cast members might be up to it but I've seen him looking pretty frail in the past couple of years. At his age, his health could suffer hugely under the strain of a TV series.
edit on 20-6-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

You mean like enterprise?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Just keep in mind there are several projects in development for a trek tv show and the idea with Stewart is just one of those ideas. Nothing is set in stone on any new series. The fact a series with Picard was even an idea tells me, imo, just how bad the trek franchise has dived. Seems like they are wanting to try and restore it while at the same time seeing a potential cash cow with a series that includes cast from all the series (that matter).

@Brian Flanders -
DS9 become one of the highest rated series when they dropped the everyone love one another mantra and introduced the war.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
My happiness knows no bounds.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
He is from around my parts down the road in Bradford. He has the keys to the city and loads of local honours I like the dude.
He hates James Corden as much as me also.
Make it so!.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Here is Patrick Stewart being Knighted by Her Majesty the Queen -

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Wesley took off with the Traveler. No one knows where or when he is.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Ha! The key he got opens every door in Bradford he often goes to random houses sits down and demands a cup of tea, it's the law to make it so....

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Wesley took off with the Traveler. No one knows where or when he is.

Actually in Star Trek Nemesis he made an appearance at Riker and Troi's wedding. Picard said he was glad to see him back in uniform. That scene, like the one above, was cut. He is serving on the Titan - Rikers new ship.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join