It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrick Stewart tipped for new Star Trek show as Picard

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I cant anymore. They killed fan films and churned out crap with discovery all at once. Then they supposedly fixed a lot of it, wouldnt know, I stopped giving that hot mess a chance.

I dont think they actually care about the fans, so they can go make some quick money and just play out the franchise already.

They can have Trek. We had it long enough. I hope everyone shuts these abominations down.

edit on 6 20 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
I'm really confused by the people talking about "Social justice warrior trek."

I mean, social justice was always a large part of the TNG-DS9-Voyager universe, and for the original series (as much as they could in the 60's). Sure, colored people weren't discriminated against in that universe but they used aliens and alien cultures as metaphors for current social issues. It was an optimistic take on what equality and progress could produce. It just seems funny to me that people who consider themselves fans of a show that always espoused that the fruits of technological and social progress should be equally shared among all of humanity would be throwing around negative terms about social justice.

I dunno I always felt the way social justice type stuff was portrayed on the star treks was usually more reasonable and far less in your face than the way it's done now. Sure there were some pretty social justice heavy episodes especially in Voyager and the later seasons of TNG but i always felt overall it was done in a fairly reasonable common sense way and not just done for the sake of it and thrown in your face the way they do now. Plus it was usually done from a positive angle showing the progress in the future rather than highlighting negativity the way it seems to be now.
edit on 20/6/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Make it so..

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Awesome!

Bring it on.

I would love to see an enterprise that is set after new gen but still had picard as a character.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I like discovery and I am a real fan of star trek.

It's just not the same. But that's ok.

For the record discovery is the only recent star trek that I liked.
And the only reason I'm not watching dark matter instead is because it got canceled.

Enterprise made me want to throw up and the new moves were made to make money off of morons.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   

The only thing I held out hope for was the idea that the new series could become an anthology of sorts with the first season being set in the timeline it is now and then advancing the timeline ahead in season 2 and so on and so on.

That would be great.
The next series could be set in the federation during the time voyager was missing.

And then the next one could be after tng. I always wanted a series set after tng and I too get disappointed that each new trek series has been set in the "past" .

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

It's the difficulty of getting the tech and social norms of a earlier period in star treks time line, and still being interesting.

That was one of enterprises biggest mistakes.

Discovery is making a mistake by using tech they shouldn't have yet.
I'm dealing with it.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If any of you don't think Star Trek was "in your face" about Social Justice you need to do a little research into

the first interracial kiss on TV.

.... and then spend a lot more of your time studying history in general.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
meh - i would cast mmr stewart as ANY oother charachter except cpt picard - in a new star trek franchise - with SOMEOONE ELSE as picard - just for the trolling lolz

this is probally why i dont havve a job in teevee

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
meh - i would cast mmr stewart as ANY oother charachter except cpt picard - in a new star trek franchise - with SOMEOONE ELSE as picard - just for the trolling lolz

this is probally why i dont havve a job in teevee

If you did have a job in tv it would be the Original Star Trek... as a red shirt.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
From what I've pieced together I think what they may be doing is a show around Star Fleet Academy. Remember the episode in the first season "Coming of Age"?

Remmick makes his report to Quinn, and tells him he could find no problem on the Enterprise-D despite his best efforts. Quinn dismisses him, tells Picard he had to be sure about him. He says there are problems in the Federation and that someone is trying to destroy it. He says he needs people he can trust, and offers Picard promotion to admiral, as Commandant of Starfleet Academy. Picard says he doesn't think he's the best man for the job, but promises to think about it.

memory-alpha.wikia.com...(episode)

It makes sense. There's be more personality and less physical work for Stewart. At his age that plays into his wheelhouse.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

I am in the same boat you are. I just don't get where people are coming from. It is the same with Star Wars. Star Wars has always been about oppressed rebels fighting a totalitarian Empire, and strong female characters, and goofy toy selling characters, and plot holes galore. Star Trek has always been the most social justice progressive show imaginable. From the first interracial kiss on TV to Riker wanting to bang an androgynous alien. To all the alien stand in metaphors for racism. To being based in a society where everyone is equal and anyone can replicate anything they want for free, so there is no need for money and the space U.N. - I mean Federation - runs everything in what can be called galactic globalism, universalism if you will.

What has changed is the people watching, not the shows/movies. Which is fine. Everyone changes. You should only watch what you want. No one should be forced to watch anything. But the constant complaining and whining is annoying. Just man up and admit you have changed. But I guess nostalgia is such a hell of a drug. That people want to force shows/movies to adjust to their current mindstate because they retroactively adjusted the old version to somehow also match up with their current mindstate. Even though nothing has really changed between the old and current versions of the shows/movies.

Helm, mental gymnastics to warp five, engage!

edit on 21-6-2018 by karmicecstasy because: Kirk forced me to have relations with a green chick against my will while yelling dance red shirt dance

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Should we be worried about Star Trek: Discovery s2?

But clearly something had been going wrong with the production of season two as the showrunner change is said to have come after the first five episodes were nearly complete, with Kurtzman taking over for episode six and beyond.

If that's the case, then maybe the change was a case of righting the course of the season, although it will be hard to say until we actually see the episodes and if there are any notable changes in story arcs. Kurtzman is the ideal person to steady the ship in season two and it certainly seems that CBS have faith in him, having just awarded him a new five-year overall production deal.

This deal will apparently lead to Kurtzman overseeing the expansion of the Star Trek TV universe with multiple shows already in development, reportedly including a series set at Starfleet Academy from Runaways bosses Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, an animated series and a limited series based around Khan Noonien Singh (or should that be John Harrison?).

We don't know yet whether that deal includes the potential return of Sir Patrick Stewart's Next Generation character Captain Jean-Luc Picard to the Star Trek universe in a rebooted series, set to be developed by Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one. CBS TV Studios hasn't yet confirmed the show is happening.

It means that Kurtzman is probably unlikely to stay as showrunner for Discovery's third season (should it get one), so we could see yet another showrunner join during season two if they want to prepare for the future as Kurtzman builds his Star Trek empire.

He has previous experience of building a franchise was with Universal's Dark Universe, writing and directing The Mummy and being one of the chief architects of the overall world, along with Chris Morgan – but perhaps it's best not to focus on that given how it turned out...

At least Star Trek already has an established fanbase and Kurtzman has been successful in bringing new fans to it with Discovery, yet it's hard not to feel that CBS are running before they walk. The first season wasn't without its flaws across its 15 episodes, so perhaps the better thing would have been to deliver an improved season two before moving on to expanding the world.

As it is, we can't help feeling a little concerned that not all of the focus is on the crucial second season of adventures for the USS Discovery. We might be left thinking CBS should have been more Marvel and less DC...

meh.....

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Meh is right.

Here is the problem as I see it with Discovery going forward. The set up itself does not lend itself to being dragged from the path it is on, to a path more in accordance with what Trekkers need from a Star Trek IP. Because the showrunners made such an effort to set it apart from the timelines and the themes that people REALLY enjoyed about the Star Trek franchise as a whole, it bears only cosmetic, surface level familiarity with the rest of the material out there. A sudden, or even relatively gradual move toward a more familiar place within the wider Star Trek universe, would, as a result of that, be jarring.

Discovery, as far as I am concerned, is either a dead duck, or going to be the thing that destroys the franchise. Personally, I hope it flops like a blunt force trauma victim with a head wound, so that the damage it does to the lore is minimised, and something more fitting and appropriate can be made later on, something that follows the lore, rather than looking to demolish it and re-write it for the modern era. There is no need. Its a sci-fi show. By definition, its about the future, so there is no need to change things up enormously to make it feel right, because that which came before was already well ahead of its time. What IS required for the Star Trek universe to continue, is to limit those permitted to write and direct for it, to those who have a doctors approach to the work, i.e. "First, do no harm".

With regard to the other potential franchise elements coming on stream... Man... I have to hope that at least some of them fall under the control of someone who marks down "Trekker" as their religion next time, not someone whose ambition is greater than their respect.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

If he returns as Picard I'd watch it. He was one of the best Captains Star Trek ever had.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I would be ok with Discovery if it involves a time travel element that whips them into the future to a time frame just after DS9. Slowly introduce the new characters belonging to the 24th century and transition.

This thing with constantly trying to put out material prior to the series they came from is overdone and not exciting in my opinion.

As for Picard it worked with DS9. They brought over Worf in the 3rd season and it saved the show. Anything that deals with Picard though better be set in the appropriate time frames.

As for all the series they are thinking about doing it sounds like they might be making the same mistake Disney did with Star Wars. You have the 3 movie ending, Rogue One and now Han Solo. Cranking the stuff out as quickly as possible without due regard for the series history just makes piles of junk.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The reason Kurtzman took over was because the previous show runners spent so much money on the first five episodes, that the show was gonna run out of money to film the rest. Plus they were getting into shouting matches with the writers room. A writers room that actually contains a bunch of old Trek heads. The writers room contains the guy who wrote Wrath of Khan, people who worked on the other TV shows, and people who write the books that take place post Nemesis. Which is funny because people keep saying they need to get some real Trekkies involved in the show. When pretty much everyone involved had deep ties. The stories and characters and concepts were what the old school Trekkers gave us. Its just the look of the show being more Kelvin than Prime, that was dictated by producers who were not Trekkies.

Really the only unforgivable lore breaking thing Discovery did was that stupid spore drive. That needs to be forgotten about forever.I know the show started out with the crew acting very un-Federation like. But that was because the captain was a mirror universe evil doppleganger guy. By the end of Episode 15 the crew was acting like they were you know, actual members of the United Federation of Planets. And the look of the Klingons has changed so many times already that the already in-universe explanation of the Klingons mucking about with their DNA to create a Klingon augment can just be used to explain it away.

From the hints that the Alchemy Studio effects guys were dropping. I think that is where the show was heading. Klingons being bald and more alien looking in Discovery. They muck around with their DNA but fail. So they end up looking human in TOS. Then they muck about some more to fix the first mucking about, and end up looking like they do in Next Generation. A mix of the Discover Klingon and the TOS klingons. But they forgot that Klingons were shown in Enterprise which takes place before Discovery. OOPS. Of course that is all speculation on my part.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADSE255

If he returns as Picard I'd watch it. He was one of the best Captains Star Trek ever had.

Na sisko is the best.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
If any of you don't think Star Trek was "in your face" about Social Justice you need to do a little research into

the first interracial kiss on TV.

.... and then spend a lot more of your time studying history in general.

Sure, it was a big deal for Trek, back then. But that was how many decades ago now? Interracial couples don't get many eyelash bats anymore, outside of the older generations' scowls.
What's the in-your-face SJW slant today? Two Trill women characters swapping spit in the 90's isn't 2018. A fictitious androgynous society persecuting an outlier in a 90's episode isn't today, but does still has SOME legs to stand on today, since gay conversion therapy still happens.

But as far as anything else? Having a tough time seeing anything qualifying as "in your face" in ST anymore.
edit on 6/22/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DieGloke

originally posted by: ADSE255

Na sisko is the best.

I have to agree that I adore Sisko as much as I do Picard. Both are epic in their own right.

But the Space Jesus slant was idiotic, I wish they'd never done it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join