It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrick Stewart tipped for new Star Trek show as Picard

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DieGloke

Yeah he was pretty good too.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Remember ytmd?

Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Netflix provided the budget and it was 5 million an episode.

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: abe froman
If any of you don't think Star Trek was "in your face" about Social Justice you need to do a little research into

the first interracial kiss on TV.

.... and then spend a lot more of your time studying history in general.

Sure, it was a big deal for Trek, back then. But that was how many decades ago now? Interracial couples don't get many eyelash bats anymore, outside of the older generations' scowls.

I beg to differ.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Perhaps if Q were to return...

I hope so. He sucked as an air traffic controller...

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Netflix paid for the first season retroactively. CBS paid for everything upfront, then when the production was done, Netflix paid CBS the budget back plus some. At least that is what Les Moonves said when asked. Not sure if that is how they did the second season. But even if Netflix was providing the budget upfront this time. What does that matter. If the 5 million per episode came from CBS or Netflix. The fired showrunners were going over that 5 million dollar an episode budget. Nearly every story on the firing mentions this.
edit on 24-6-2018 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Make it so!

I do hope it turns out good.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It looks like they might really be serious about this. I hope not. First of all, he's just too old. It's not going to be like Patrick Stewart in old man makeup like it was in some of the TNG episodes. It's really going to be old man Patrick Stewart. If you've seen him lately, you know what I mean. He looks (and sounds) much worse than he did as an old man in All Good Things. And of course that was just makeup so it fit right into the optimistic "old age is not so bad" Trek thing.

And also, I just think the people who are steering the Trek ship these days have completely lost it. They haven't had a clue about anything since at least the end of Voyager (and IMO, Voyager was a mistake from day one). DS9 was when Roddenberry's Trek really started to die. Right around that time you could see there was no interest anywhere in maintaining any illusions of keeping it the way he would have wanted it. It even spilled over into the last season of TNG.

DS9 was great in it's own way but it was obviously nothing like TNG. It was a totally different universe with people in Starfleet uniforms. This was so obvious that you could just see the only reason they didn't just make a show about a space station without the Trek name was because it wouldn't have been successful. Now like I said, I gave DS9 a chance. But only because it was (supposedly) Trek and they lured me in. They had some awesome shows but by the time that show ended, Trek was completely off the rails. This is why only the first two TNG movies were any good. Honestly, if they had just stopped after First Contact, at least they could have ended on a high note. I could have done without every TNG movie that came after that. I didn't THINK I wanted to at the time (I had to give them a chance even though I could see they were getting progressively worse with each new movie).

By the time Nemesis rolled around, it was getting to the point to where it was like "What the hell have they done with these amazing characters that were so perfectly crafted on a TV budget?"

The TOS cast was able to (mostly) only improve upon what they had done on the TV show. What happened with the TNG movies was a disaster. They don't need to further damage these characters with more flailing attempts to do whatever they've been trying to do since Roddenberry died. I think Trek is done.

ETA - TNG's finest moment was All Good Things. I can remember when it was going to be on TV and I was thinking that it was going to be a mess. But they actually managed to really make one hell of a series fanale. I didn't want the series to end but if it had to end, they did it right. They will not do anything better than that in the future. It would be nice if I thought they could but I just don't believe it.
edit on 20-7-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Confirmed -

Al Rivera
‏ @CaptainGeko

Kurtzman announces new Star Trek series....
@SirPatStew takes the stage...

Picard confirmed in new Star Trek series. “Jean luc Picard is back!”

Al Rivera
‏ @CaptainGeko
7m7 minutes ago

Series takes place 20 years after nemesis. Picard may not be a captain and will have changed greatly from his experiences.

Even better it advances the timeline 30 years beyond Nemesis.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Patrick Stewart released a statement confirming it on Facebook.

Such fantastic news.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Such fantastic news.

Stewart set down some ground rules a while back for what would be required to see a return of Picard. Hopefully those requirements were kept.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Holy crap, I'm stoked!!

I'm hoping it's more along the lines of the ST we DO already know, and thankfully they went with in the future on it, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm still one of the heretics that actually really likes Discovery, but I kinda miss the TNG/DS9/VOY aesthetics & ethics.

We can have the best of both, people. Just takes patience, the "Great River" provides

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Takes place 30 years after Nemesis so it should be more familiar than star trek diversity thats currently going on.

Patrick Stewart
‏Verified account @SirPatStew

It is an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Read my full statement in the photo. #StarTrek @cbsallaccess Photo: @shervinfoto

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Even better it advances the timeline 30 years beyond Nemesis.

It would be even better if we could totally remove Nemesis from Trek lore.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Such fantastic news.

I have had a spring in my step since the news was confirmed. When I first read the news I thought it was too good to be true. I haven't seen Star Trek Discovery; I am awaiting the series to come out on DVD/Blu-ray. Otherwise I am a life long Star Trek fan.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join