It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NFL Policy. Re: The National Anthem.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

They should be thinking about touchdowns and tackles not politics.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

What 'constitutional' right?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: kaylaluv

Then WTF is it about? Please tell us oh wise one?

All I'm saying is, if they were protesting gun control legislation, or the removal of "God" from public places, you guys would be all for it.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Is There a Right to Peaceful Protest?

A person's right to air grievances without fear of retribution or censorship is fundamental to democracy in the United States. Free expression of one's beliefs is encoded in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which generally protects free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and freedom of assembly. Protesting -- the time-honored practice of publicly speaking out against perceived injustices and urging action -- is a form of assembly and thus protected by the Constitution. But while there is a right to peaceful protest in the U.S., "peaceful" being the operative word, there are limits.

And if you look on same page..it gives limits of what can be done and nothing in there states that professional sports players cannot kneel.

I hope the players take the NFL to court for this and let them know their right to protest is protected by the constitution.

Screw the republican party and their faux outrage. Black people have the same rights as other American whether they be professional athletes or not.
edit on 24-5-2018 by dwaynedabigguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

All I'm saying is, if they were protesting gun control legislation, or the removal of "God" from public places, you guys would be all for it.

what am I thinking now?

I bet you don't know, and you don't know the above either.

They can protest anything they like, whenever they like. The people who financially support them can also chose not to. get it yet?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: dwaynedabigguy

this is because they are black?

racist much?
edit on 24-5-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

He might let me hit him once or twice but i bet he'd knock me out in the 7th.

Not sure if serious. No offense intended but unless you've been a professional HEAVYWEIGHT boxer, he would still to this day knock you out within the first seven seconds

edit on 24-5-2018 by Blackhull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Projecting much?

Nothing racist about understanding that this began as an issue involving the unnecessary brutality by leo against black men.

Let me guess now it's racist and sexist?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   
They can protest to their hearts content, but if I am tuning in to watch a game and instead get preached at... off goes the boob tube and Ill find something else to do.

If I want to be preached at ill go to church.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

edit on 24-5-2018 by Blackhull because: Dbl

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Which is a much fairer and level headed response than calling them anti American, unpatriotic, etc. As fans also have the right to tune out

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackhull

there were white guys protesting as well. It's only about race if you make it that way. This is about politicizing a non political thing. loose the tude dude.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Oh youre right about that. Nobody will admit it though.
Let em take a quick knee in protest of transgender people using a certain bathroom and it will be all good.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dwaynedabigguy
a reply to: matafuchs

Is There a Right to Peaceful Protest?

A person's right to air grievances without fear of retribution or censorship is fundamental to democracy in the United States. Free expression of one's beliefs is encoded in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which generally protects free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and freedom of assembly. Protesting -- the time-honored practice of publicly speaking out against perceived injustices and urging action -- is a form of assembly and thus protected by the Constitution. But while there is a right to peaceful protest in the U.S., "peaceful" being the operative word, there are limits.

And if you look on same page..it gives limits of what can be done and nothing in there states that professional sports players cannot kneel.

I hope the players take the NFL to court for this and let them know their right to protest is protected by the constitution.

Screw the republican party and their faux outrage. Black people have the same rights as other American whether they be professional athletes or not.

They are EMPLOYEES of an ENTERTAINMENT entity. They are bound to the rules set forth by that organization, or they can quit.

Simple as that.

Their right to protest, is in their personal time, not on company time.

If they sue, they will lose.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Do you think the league will consider a six-game suspension appropriate discipline?

The league considers WHATEVER discipline they portion to be appropriate.
The players negotiated to give the league that power.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Goodell’s decision is all financial. The NFL is losing ratings and revenue. The almighty dollar outweighs the social statement being made. The main reason people stopped watching is because of the kneeling. That being said, I totally agree with this decision. If the players want to draw attention to themselves during the anthem, just raise a fist while standing like that guy in the ‘68 olympics.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackhull

Yea but where everything goes off the rails is the responses to anyone who says, welp I am not going to watch the game because of the protests in a public manner.

They are called any number of names, and in at least 1 case a player for the bucs said on twitter if you don't like the protests come down to one buc place and tell me why.

They have the right to protest, people have the right to publicly state their displeasure without overt threats, or subtle ones.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Goodell’s decision is all financial. The NFL is losing ratings and revenue. The almighty dollar outweighs the social statement being made. The main reason people stopped watching is because of the kneeling. That being said, I totally agree with this decision. If the players want to draw attention to themselves during the anthem, just raise a fist while standing like that guy in the ‘68 olympics.

Really, ALL the other issues with the NFL of recent note and you think kneeling - you know what, we’re talking about the public at large, you may actually be right.

The sad fact is that the NFL gets money from the military budget to promote patriotism. The anthem wasn’t done with the players on field or televised until 2004 or so... can’t lose those sweet, sweet army bucks.
edit on 5/24/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

The NFL's numbers have been slipping for a while now. The whole CTE scandal turned a lot of people off to the sport. Ridiculous rule changes drove others away. Then there's the fact that more and more people are watching streams online instead of TV. The whole kneeling thing seems to be more of a scapegoat so the front office don't have to admit that their driving the league in to the ground.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Nobody wants to watch a bunch of crybaby SJW's put on tights and pretend to be tough. They ruined the game forever, fans don't forget.

That's utterly ridiculous - the entire comment. Most fans couldn't care less. Trump made it a thing only due to personal and political motivation, it never had anything to do with patriotism. Only fools thought it did (and diehard / gullible Trump supporters).

Any real problems with the NFL had much more to do with other issues, including officiating, poor choice of prime time games, poor rule implementation, cheating, and NFL interference in the games last year with changing critical plays. Actual NFL fans were far more concerned with that, than some pointless and fruitless attempts to try and bring light to an actually important issue, for the first couple non-playing minutes of the game.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join