It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NFL Policy. Re: The National Anthem.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I don't even know why professional sports events even bother to play the national anthem. The only purpose I can see for it is to get everybody settled down and focused on the start of the game. But someone can certainly come up with a better, catchier song that would inform everybody, "Okay, we're going to start now. Still time to make it to the restroom and back."

I can think of 2...

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
a reply to: intrepid

All of this because a quarterback lost his starting job and decided to pout and sit during the national anthem.

The reason for him choosing to sit beyond pouting was added weeks later.

Not true in the slightest. Revisionist history

www.sbnation.com...

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Nobody noticed because it was pre-season and ALL starting qbs sit during preseason. I don't know what's worse. The cognitive dissonance, sheer gullibility, or those unwilling to do a shred of research. It's astounding.

Does this all stem from trump calling for a boycott? The excuses are insane at this point.

mobile.nytimes.com...
edit on 24-5-2018 by Blackhull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Gandalf77

They should be thinking about touchdowns and tackles not politics.

Actually Trump should be concentrating on politics, and not letting a personal vendetta against the NFL cause him to interfere in a business he doesn't care for. The players are not getting in involved in politics - why would you think that? They are protesting very specifically racial injustice by law enforcement. They are not protesting the national anthem, nor soldiers serving their country.

Trump is the one who turned it political for his own personal gain. And not-very-smart people believed him.

Personally I think the players should find another venue to try and make a stand - and I think the NFL has the right, as basically the employer of those players, to dictate what they can and cannot do. But I think it is blown WAAY out of proportion, fans did not care much at all, really.. about the kneeling (I forget it as soon as kickoff occurs), and Trump is the one who made it a "thing." And for him, it was 100% a vendetta against the NFL for snubbing him (and being awarded 1.00 for his "win" in court).

A thought on that. Those rich NFL owners are probably going to cross paths with Trump's enterprises. Do you think they are going to be as cooperative in the future? That doesn't even touch on campaign donations.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'd love to see no players take the field.

IF sports games had started out with this Flag Waving Patriotism - - - I might feel different.

But, since it was the government paying teams for a glorified recruitment scheme - - - I don't support forcing this pseudo Patriotism.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I can think of 2...

I'm reminded of Monday Night Football, when the fairly serious, high-tech pregame show was over and then they'd kick in with fireworks and Hank Jr., howling away at "Are you reddy for some FOOTBAWL!!" and suddenly rather than a game of strategy and skill, it becomes a game of drinking beer while watching chicks with big boobs dance around. Cognitive dissonance.

Not that I want them to play classical music before each game, but it would be nice to have an energetic song start up that doesn't make me feel like I'm watching the game with a bunch of mouth-breathing numbskulls.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I can think of 2...

I'm reminded of Monday Night Football, when the fairly serious, high-tech pregame show was over and then they'd kick in with fireworks and Hank Jr., howling away at "Are you reddy for some FOOTBAWL!!" and suddenly rather than a game of strategy and skill, it becomes a game of drinking beer while watching chicks with big boobs dance around. Cognitive dissonance.

Not that I want them to play classical music before each game, but it would be nice to have an energetic song start up that doesn't make me feel like I'm watching the game with a bunch of mouth-breathing numbskulls.

How about:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackhull
a reply to: shooterbrody

Nobody noticed because it was pre-season and ALL starting qbs sit during preseason. I don't know what's worse. The cognitive dissonance, sheer gullibility, or those unwilling to do a shred of research. It's astounding.

Does this all stem from trump calling for a boycott? The excuses are insane at this point.

mobile.nytimes.com...

oh people were paying plenty of attention to the qb situation in san fransisco as cap had been benched at the end of the previous season and had issues with the new coach
www.nfl.com...

Over the past few months, his relationship with management has turned sour. He requested a trade last spring, which never came. He also has spent most of the offseason rehabilitating from operations to his left (non-throwing) shoulder, his hand and knee. His recovery left him unable to fully compete with Blaine Gabbert for months and has him seemingly in a bind to regain his starting job.

what is interesting to me is that cap didnt seem interested in his public display until after he was benched, he told no one prior to his "protest" that he would sit on the bench during the anthem
imo what this turned into after cap is vastly different than what cap did

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

How about:

1. No country pop.
2. No girls allowed.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

How about:

1. No country pop.
2. No girls allowed.

C.mon. Just 1 girl:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

keep the league ahead of any future controversies -- especially with midterm elections looming

Hmmm

Be careful not to lose those tax breaks for the NFL.

I think most fans would be more upset over not have concession sales at that time then some guy taking a knee.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
What is with this:

Per the American Legion

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

This happens now at every major level game.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I personally don't care that they apologized. Life long fan, went to 4 probowls. Have now completely lost interest.

And, I'm not alone.

Fred..

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I quit watching as it spread across the NFL. Wife took the opportunity to get rid of the TV; so I won't be going back to watching NFL even if they start each game with a cheerleader strip tease.

The players are all celebrities, so a buncha hate-America-First-ificators.

The owners are all globalists. They should all sport top hats and monocles.

They think America sucks to the point where they can't show traditional respect for it. Good for them. They have no respect for my opinions; they shouldn't be surprised if I don't respect theirs.

It's a big fat culture war. Just look at the way our local elitists on ATS dislike football fans even BEFORE the discussion of the anthem pops up.

They don't care a fig about football; this thread is merely one more chance for them to despise God & country, the working class and flyover states.

But they're not really trying. 14 pages now, and they haven't worked in a single put-down of guns or coal

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Taking a knee out of respect for any cause during the national anthem isn't disrespectful. In my opinion, taking a knee for our fallen brothers and sisters in arms is the highest form of respect that our entitled society could show. The same applies to victims of violence in any fashion.

I don't watch football. I haven't for well over a decade, and it's definitely been a benefit to have found more educative entertainment instead of watching a bunch of overpaid body-builders do permanent damage to one another just to thrill the slaves after they get off work.

I do respect the motivation behind what they did, and these new rules won't change the fact that changes need to happen. I applaud them for forcing hundreds of thousands of people across America to pay attention to the real world. This fantasy that most Americans live is pathetic, and their actions caused people to change the channel and pay attention to the news.

No thank you.
edit on 25-5-2018 by Knightshadowz because: Spellcheck farted

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This waste of time could have been easily avoided. Each team that doesn't want kneeling during the anthem just write that into individual contracts. Simple. I now foresee the weekly nfl.com feed with what teams are getting fined and what they do about it. "News" I don't need.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So they should be able to do this but when team want to 'support' the police they are told no. How about when they could not support 9/11?

www.dailywire.com...

They are there to play not protest.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It’s a stupid idea. Let the idiots kneel.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
. How about when they could not support 9/11?

Well, nobody should support 9/11

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I'll take that as sarcasm I think you know exactly what I mean...

This is what I was talking about...

Link

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join