It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NFL Policy. Re: The National Anthem.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This was just breaking on nfl.com:

The policy adopted today was approved in concert with the NFL's ongoing commitment to local communities and our country -- one that is extraordinary in its scope, resources, and alignment with our players. We are dedicated to continuing our collaboration with players to advance the goals of justice and fairness in all corners of our society.

This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room until after the Anthem has been performed.

We believe today's decision will keep our focus on the game and the extraordinary athletes who play it -- and on our fans who enjoy it.

www.nfl.com...

There's a couple of ways to look at this. One, the league is addressing the matter to placate the fanbase while still allowing the players to protest at will. Another is that they have swept the protest aside so there is little to no impact on society. What's not seen is most likely overlooked. It depends on one's outlook as to how this is perceived.
edit on Wed May 23 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Isn't it sad that the NFL feels the need to explain themselves or placate to ultra-nationalists?

+24 more 
posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
LOL So I guess that boycott hurt a little more then they let on.

Trump just keeps winning.
edit on 23-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
regardless of what your feelings are about the players standing or protesting, the fan base made it crystal clear that a large part of them just didn't like it. The NFL had to decide if they were going to put principals in front of dollars. The choice was fiscally responsible.

Personally, I like this, as it just irritated me to have to choose between entertainment, and political activism. Sports was supposed to be something you could shut down all the other worldly issues for and just enjoy. If you want to see people complain, turn on the news.

Bravo NFL.

ETA:
I wonder if Capernick will want to come back if he can't be allowed to do his protest? Not that he has been offered a job, just speculating.
edit on 23-5-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Meh, NFL should be renamed CYA. They can go bankrupt far as I care.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Isn't it sad that the NFL feels the need to explain themselves or placate to ultra-nationalists?

They need to because they lost a ton of fans and a ton of money.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Looks like all they did was revise the ops manual to not require all players be on the field for the anthem and leave it wide open for what they will do when players continue to protest on-field.

It will be tested by someone on week 1 I'm sure. I'm interested on how much the team fines will be.

1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

2. The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the Anthem.

3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the Anthem has been performed.

4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I think they just got tired of having SJW's dictate the rules.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Notice how the new rules include both standing AND showing respect.

So if a player is on the field, standing, and rolling his eyes and gets caught on camera...

Eye roll or something stuck in my eye.

Instant replay for anthems?

I think this is going to open the door for even more silliness than we saw last season.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Not really.
The nfl has a "conduct policy". If that is "broken" it is an automatic 6 game suspension. One does not need to be charged or arrested for the 6 game suspension to be enacted.
The players are boxed in and have to toe the company line.

+5 more 
posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Nobody wants to watch a bunch of crybaby SJW's put on tights and pretend to be tough. They ruined the game forever, fans don't forget.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I got used to not watching football.

*shrugs*

Might keep on enjoying my Sunday's and continue not watching.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Sports is just entertainment. I don’t know why we even have the national anthem played with U.S. teams. At the Olympics - I get it.

We don’t play the national anthem right before a movie starts at the cinema, or at the opera or ballet. Why do it before a football game?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Great!

Now instead of people crying, "Whaaaaaaaaa, Player "X" took a knee!" we'll get to hear, "Whaaaaaaaa Player "X" wasn't out there standing on the field!".
edit on 5/23/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

They need to because they lost a ton of fans and a ton of money.

I know. People were more concerned about the ultra-nationalist sentiment, rather than enjoying the purpose of why the NFL exists to begin with, which is entertainment.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

That's fair. If you can't just grin and bare it for a 90 second anthem then go sniff a toilet in the locker

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The NFL dictates their own rules.

Not sure how your comment is relevant.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: network dude

Why do it before a football game?

I believe it started being played before sporting events as a way to stir-up patriotism and support for the first world war.

edit on 23-5-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
LOL So I guess that boycott hurt a little more then they let on.

Trump just keeps winning.

The boycotts absolutely did hurt the NFL. Ratings last season were down sharply. The overwhelming majority of football fans did not like the anthem protests.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The NFL dictates their own rules.

Not sure how your comment is relevant.

The efforts by many of our players sparked awareness and action around issues of social justice that must be addressed. The platform that we have created together is certainly unique in professional sports and quite likely in American business. We are honored to work with our players to drive progress.

I'm not sure how it's not. They even say "Social Justice" right in the quoted part of the article. You did read the article didn't you?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join