It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cliven Bundy walks free as federal judge dismisses Bundy Ranch standoff case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's a done deal: Cliven Bundy walks free as federal judge dismisses Bundy Ranch standoff case

Given that Judge Navarro aided and abetted the prosecutorial misconduct pretty much every step of the way, her words today were quite a (pleasant) surprise:

A federal judge on Monday said the federal prosecutors' conduct was "outrageous" and "violated due process rights" of the defendants.

U.S. District Court Judge Gloria Navarro dismissed the charges against the four men "with prejudice," meaning they cannot face trial again. She said a new trial would not be sufficient to address the problems in the case and would provide the prosecution with an unfair advantage going forward.

And she didn't stop with the prosecutors... no siree! She was on a roll and naming names -- including the FBI!

The judge criticized both the prosecution and the FBI for not providing evidence to the defense as required under court rules. "The court finds that the universal sense of justice has been violated," Navarro said.

Navarro said it was clear the FBI was involved in the prosecution of the case, and that it was not a coincidence that most of the withheld evidence came from the FBI.

She said the prosecution's reliance on the FBI and failure to look beyond the documents the FBI provided represented an "intentional abdication of its responsibility." Essentially, she said the prosecution decided not to follow up because the evidence would have worked in the Bundys' favor.

It sure makes me wonder what all is going on behind the scenes, what with AG Sessions launching an investigation into the prosecutions actions, and a new U.S. Attorney appointed to replace Steve Myhre (the prosecutor who committed the misconduct and who had requested a new trial despite his prosecutorial misconduct). Interestingly enough, there is no mention of the new U.S. Attorney in the article or today's proceedings. The judge didn't have to mention the FBI at all, but she did -- and I assume for a reason. I just don't know what that reason is.

Cliven Bundy, the last holdout who refused to leave jail until all charges were dropped, is now a free man. I suspect he may have preferred that he was either found not guilty by a jury of his peers, or that the charges were dropped on a lack of merit, simply for his own honor's sake. But I guess he'll have to settle for this partial victory.

Justice is served, though not perfect justice.

A couple more sources:
Nevada judge dismisses case against Cliven Bundy and sons, says government cannot retry them
Freedom! Bundys Have Case Dismissed With "Prejudice"

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
In regards to the Feebs:

Have you heard anything about the agent that got charged with lying to investigators? I looked the other day but couldn't find anything even remotely recent but you seem to have "an ear to the ground" with this whole situation, so not sure if you'd heard anything else....

Thanks

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's about damn time. I'm sure we won't hear much of this from the MSM. RIP Lavoy

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Good news, bout time.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The system works! What has become of the Oregon standoff, now that Nevada incident is over with?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
It sure makes me wonder what all is going on behind the scenes, what with AG Sessions launching an investigation into the prosecutions actions, and a new U.S. Attorney appointed to replace Steve Myhre (the prosecutor who committed the misconduct and who had requested a new trial despite his prosecutorial misconduct). Interestingly enough, there is no mention of the new U.S. Attorney in the article or today's proceedings. The judge didn't have to mention the FBI at all, but she did -- and I assume for a reason. I just don't know what that reason is.

I have no way of proving this, like with links, but if you put some dots together I think this ties in with Hillary's emails and Uranium 1. Essentially, in short, European banks like UBS and DB were trying to digitize mineral rights and property in the US for the purpose of securitizing them and including them in a universal SDR database.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

That would be one Special Agent W. Joseph Astarita of the FBI Hostage Rescue Team... he was indicted in June, and his trial is set for May. This is the most recent info I found:

Experts hired to present 3D animation of shots allegedly fired by FBI agent at LaVoy Finicum's truck

Things might not be going as easily as he expected. Apparently he claimed in motions that no other agents or officers at the scene saw or reported anything, but then it came out that others at the scene had testified at the grand jury hearing. I believe that was in September... Yes, it was: Other FBI agents at scene of LaVoy Finicum shooting testified before grand jury. Defense attorneys have filed a motion for the grand jury hearing transcripts to be released; I haven't heard if there was a ruling on the motion yet. With trial still a few months off, the judge may not be in a hurry.

Here's an article regarding the original indictment hearing: LaVoy Finicum shooting: FBI agent faces 5-count indictment

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Things might not be going as easily as he expected. Apparently he claimed in motions that no other agents or officers at the scene saw or reported anything, but then it came out that others at the scene had testified at the grand jury hearing.

The could have been testifying that they did in fact not see anything so it goes on the record. I'm hoping they aren't stupid enough to perjure themselves.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It is refreshing to see one federal judge stand up for the rule of law. Too bad there aren't more.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluecollarron
It's about damn time.

It sure is!

I'm sure we won't hear much of this from the MSM.

I'm actually surprised at how many are reporting it, including Fox and the LA Times. They sure didn't report much about it since the arrests, and none of the intervening abuse. I suspect we're only hearing as much as we are though because it's about prosecutorial misconduct -- not a full acquittal of the charges.

RIP Lavoy

Amen.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism

I have no way of proving this, like with links, but if you put some dots together I think this ties in with Hillary's emails and Uranium 1. Essentially, in short, European banks like UBS and DB were trying to digitize mineral rights and property in the US for the purpose of securitizing them and including them in a universal SDR database.

That sounds like something they'd do. Always looking for the next big thing...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Civil suit time?

$$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Civil suit time?

$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't bother, the same justice 'system' that dismissed the gubment will also dismiss any suit brought against it.
edit on 8-1-2018 by intrptr because: change

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Gah, see? I didn't know it was a five-count indictment, all I'd found was three charges for lying.

Not to worry, Bo is on the case! Thanks!

ETA - more info thanks to you: I wasn't aware that neither of the rounds the agent fired struck anybody, which makes me wonder why the hell he felt the need to lie about it. Especially to the FBI investigators in particular. I have to think that he might have faced some sort of internal discipline, but probably not been fired, much less charged for it.

Unless he fired his two rounds at a completely different time than the final encounter took place...
edit on 8-1-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Are they going to compensate that family for murdering in cold blood?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

They detained him all this time on trumped up charges so everyone would forget about this and care less when they had to dismiss it altogether.

Short attention spans are designed into everyone nowadays.

It was such a big deal when it happened, the issue of BLM land grabs was so hot, this case obfuscated all that.

The BLM is still out there somewhere, waiting to steal someone elses land, right now.

Fracking needs all the water available.

edit on 8-1-2018 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

This is as perfect as justice needs to be.

There is no reason that a man--nor any person--be forced through a horrendous and lengthy public trial, facing conviction, with the conduct of the prosecutions and law enforcement is so blatantly unacceptable and illegal that it violates due process and makes a mockery of the judicial system.

Dismissing with prejudice is a perfect example of actual justice.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wow that's huge news, thanks for sharing OP!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The could have been testifying that they did in fact not see anything so it goes on the record. I'm hoping they aren't stupid enough to perjure themselves.

Very true. I suspect not, given the context of how it was released -- at least as I understand it. I actually wonder if the agent assumed no one saw anything... or assumed no one would dare say anything if they did see it... or if it was some kind of fishing expedition -- or maybe bait would be the better word -- to find out if anyone say anything and said something.

It could also be that the state officers saw something and said something, but his fellow FBI agents said nothing.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
The system works! What has become of the Oregon standoff, now that Nevada incident is over with?

Maybe... finally... but the wheels sure grind slowly!

The Oregon case was tried prior to the Nevada case, and the defendants were found not guilty.

However, this court ruling could be used to overturn previous plea deals for defendants in both the Oregon and Nevada case, and two defendants previously convicted in the Nevada case. And, of course, it can be used in the civil suit by LaVoy Finicum's family. So this one ruling will most likely have further repercussions.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join