It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Theresa May stands firm as Article 50 passes both houses

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The Guardian: Theresa May is set to receive the legal authority to trigger article 50 within hours or days after the European Union (notification of withdrawal) bill cleared its final vote in parliament. It will become law when it gets the royal assent, which will happen very soon. At one stage there was speculation that May would announce the triggering of article 50 in the Commons tomorrow, but government sources are now claiming that that was never the intention and hinting that she will wait until the end of the month. There has been speculation that Nicola Sturgeon’s surprise decision to announce her call for a second referendum today, instead of at the SNP conference at the weekend as had been expected, has prompted a last-minute delay.

Independent - David Davis (Brexit Secretary): Parliament has today backed the government in its determination to get on with the job of leaving the EU and negotiating a positive new partnership with its remaining member states. We are now on the threshold of the most important negotiation for our country in a generation. We have a plan to build a Global Britain, and take advantage of its new place in the world by forging new trading links. So we will trigger article 50 by the end of this month as planned and deliver an outcome that works in the interests of the whole of the UK.

[Sources]

The Guardian - Article 50 clears Parliament

Independent: Brexit: MPs set to pass bill allowing Theresa May to trigger Article 50

I haven't posted much on this website because I want to follow the standards of other users and create posts with meaningful information and leave room for other users input although recently it seems there's a massive political divide in the United States, I find this all very interesting with Theresa May pushing for Globalism and Trump pushing for Nationalism, hopefully they learn to take the best bits out of both stances and find some common ground, the US has always had a firm alliance with the UK, and I believe with Trump as your president and May as Britain's PM then maybe, just maybe they can push to reform NATO, I believe the countries that want troops deployed should pay for their upkeep and equipment costs, if it costs the US or UK to deploy troops to clean up other nations messes it's just a very bad decision in the long run and I don't know how NATO has lasted so long permitting this.

I for one was very critical of Theresa May when she took the position of Prime Minister, as even though I live in the Channel Islands, the United Kingdom plays a huge part in how our governing body operates, Guernsey is a Crown-Dependency, I was very critical when she was supportive of very intrusive legislation regarding internet privacy, I thought she was out of touch with the British people and I sincerely underestimated her.

Recently she has shown true strength and a commitment to follow the will of the people when dealing with Article 50 in a timely manner, she didn't backpedal and it shows she is serious, which is refreshing for a politician.

In her most recent address to Parliament she was very firm and stated her intentions and goals very clearly, she's fought back against criticism from Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland and has taken the moral high ground in my opinion.

When she was Home Secretary I feel a lot of people blamed her, including myself, for being very soft on immigration, however now that some time has passed since she took office I believe it was the EU that had her hands tied and now she's finally in a position to do something about it.

I thought Britain's future was uncertain, however today I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic about this all.

Hopefully I have placed this in the right section of the forums, however if I have failed to do so then mods please may you move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Thank you for taking your time to read this post and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and inputs on this.

edit on 15-3-17 by zGrimReapah because: Youtube Link not working

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: zGrimReapah

I have always said that the only really positive thing about getting out of the EU, will be the fact that we will have a chance to rise up as a people and get our parliament reorganised according to our will, rather than according to the will of big businesses and old money interests.

I do not care for Theresa May. Her actions over the course of her stint as PM have been nothing short of abysmally lacking in either compassion or good sense. Personally speaking, I would rather throw her on a bonfire than live another day under her aegis.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I think the Brexit severance with the EU should be OK. There's been a bit of posturing from the Brussels elite, but they are on trial at the moment as Euro-scepticism is a rising problem in many countries.

On Scotland mentioned briefly in passing. The nationalists are just playing the politics of division. The SNP's "compromise" was a pipe dream and their reasons for holding indyref2 are contrived. They are just out to complicate and make it all difficult, because they have no other agenda but that. A good deal on Brexit would make them look like fools.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

the will of big businesses and old money interests.

That traditionally has control over their product image.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Hope Scotland leaves than thats one epic spring clean

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Didn' the Queendom recently pass a jillion dollar package to upgrade their planet killing defenses?

Like here in the states that kind of thing passes with barely a whisper, the stuff they talk and talk endlessly about, not so much.

They just want to be excused from all the refugee care or bailing out EU member states that are broke. Sort of like they retained the Pound when all the other EU states went "Euro". The UK will do whats best for the UK.

Brexit that.
edit on 15-3-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I think the Brexit severance with the EU should be OK.

I think it will be better than OK ..... I think it will be great!!

There's been a bit of posturing from the Brussels elite, but they are on trial at the moment as Euro-scepticism is a rising problem in many countries.

Lol!! Isn't there always. Can't wait for the other European election

results. i'm sure there'll be some surprises there!!

On Scotland mentioned briefly in passing. The nationalists are just playing the politics of division. The SNP's "compromise" was a pipe dream and their reasons for holding indyref2 are contrived. They are just out to complicate and make it all difficult, because they have no other agenda but that. A good deal on Brexit would make them look like fools.

I read in one of the papers the other day that the Eurocrats have said

they don't want an independent Scotland in the EU - Take that Nicola Sturgeon.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Brussels is now going full retard as they weirdly started to threaten openly the British Royal Family, in particular the Queen, for her approval to brexit. This has now reached the absurd as degenerate sick wolves are starting to eat each other.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: zGrimReapah

The Scotland issue is going to get messy though, and there are similar rumblings in Northern Ireland.
Interesting times for sure, and crazy to imagine the real possibility my country of birth being reduced to just Wales and England.

I believe passionately in democracy though so if that's what Scottish and Irish people want then so be it.

I wonder what we'd call it, The Kingdom of England and Wales perhaps?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

End of the day it's just baseless rhetoric by Sturgeon, no action can be taken by either side until they fully know the terms of the deal that's taken place.

Doing anything before then is just pure stupidity, I understand Sturgeon got elected because she wanted to hold a referendum, it was held, Scotland voted No!.

Scotland would be wise to sit on the sidelines and watch carrots come from both sides of the fence and then choose which stick to take.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: zGrimReapah
a reply to: grainofsand

I understand Sturgeon got elected because she wanted to hold a referendum, it was held, Scotland voted No!.

Wrong. Alex Salmond was first minister before and during the Scottish Referendum. He resigned and Nicloa took over. She now has a mandate to hold a second referendum if and when the pro Independence parties wish to do so.

Brexit was Englands Independence referendum yet the idea of Scotland becoming idependent is shouted down from those in Westminster and on here. hypocracy at it's finest.

Bring on Independence for Scotland. Why the hell should any country be governed by another in the 21st, it's bloody ludicrous. The only reason Scotland is still tethered to London is because we have a wealth of natural reasources and geographic location. If we were halfway around the globe with very little to offer London financially we would have been independent a long time ago and there wouldn't be this hue and cry to keep us either.

Scotland has been trading partners with Europe for 1000 years and should be trading partners for the next 1000 years.

London can turn it's back on a 600 million people to buy and sell it's goods at fair equal cost if it so chooses. Scotland should not be forced to do the same.
May and her minions will come back from Brussels after the negotiations with their tails between there legs having gained the square root of # all. And if they believe they will go to the ex colonies for a trade agreement then they have another think coming.

Soar Alba.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Brexit was Englands Independence referendum yet the idea of Scotland becoming idependent is shouted down from those in Westminster and on here. hypocracy at it's finest.

Bring on Independence for Scotland. Why the hell should any country be governed by another in the 21st, it's bloody ludicrous.

Hows that for an oxymoron

Scotland 'independent' from the UK immediately tethered to the disintergrating EU.

You couldn't make it up
Your'e correct it is *bloody ludicrous*

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Bring on Independence for Scotland. Why the hell should any country be governed by another in the 21st, it's bloody ludicrous.

Hows that for an oxymoron

Scotland 'independent' from the UK immediately tethered to the disintergrating EU.

You couldn't make it up

The only thing disintegrating is the UK mate. But you just keep on believing your own #e if it makes you feel happy. Westminster and those who voted to leave the Eu are about to drag England and Wales over a cliff edge..Scotland and Northern Ireland wont be following you over, in fact, We'll give you a wee push in the right direction.

Good luck with your free trade agreements with the likes of outer mongolia and Bolivia.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Good to see you around fella, I thought you'd sniff around this thread.
Speaking of Mongolia, I've got a Yak import business idea if you're interested post Brexit?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Given the threat of big businesses and banks leaving London post-Brexit, and that our government are more pro-big business than the EU, I'm skeptical about any future changes going in that direction.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
The UK will do whats best for the UK.

I should hope so, too.

edit on Ev30SaturdaySaturdayAmerica/ChicagoSat, 18 Mar 2017 09:30:39 -05006462017b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

You tried to close your italics tag with a bold tag and it's making my eyes goes wonky

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Good to see you around fella, I thought you'd sniff around this thread.
Speaking of Mongolia, I've got a Yak import business idea if you're interested post Brexit?

Tempting as it me be i'll pass if you dont mind..
Good to hear from you as well.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The only thing disintegrating is the UK mate. But you just keep on believing your own #e if it makes you feel happy. Westminster and those who voted to leave the Eu are about to drag England and Wales over a cliff edge..Scotland and Northern Ireland wont be following you over, in fact, We'll give you a wee push in the right direction.

From what I have seen I have my doubts that another referendum would lead

to an independent Scotland. Nicola Sturgon lost her prime argument of a rich

Scotland almost immediately after that referendum, when oil prices tanked

to half the previous value!

Scotland doesn't pay a premium for being in the UK ..... There's a high

premium for being in the EU (one of the reasons many voted Brexit we are now

able to spend that money as we want not as they want us to) Can

Scotland afford that exhorbitant premium it is NOT a FREE club? And they will

not be getting the extra per person that they now get from Westminster.

The people in Scotland that I have seen being interviewed from the fishing and

agricultral industries, dont want a second referendum.

Political Correspondent Stephen Pollard

Instead of the crash that the remainers promised there has been a
succession of positive economic stories, pretty much non stop since the
vote for Brexit. Take this weeks unemployment figures for example they
are at a 40 year record low. 4.7% the lowest since 1975.
The FST - 100 share index has never been higher. And Toyota this week
announced a £240 million investment in the UK..... If thats economic crisis
lets have more.

A report published this week by US Bank Morgan Stanley found that just
7% of the 1000 people surveyed are worried about Brexit and have cut
back on their spending.
To put it in perspective that figure is less than half the number (17%) who
said in a YouGov poll that they think the government had covered up
evidence of the existance of intelligent extra-terrestrial life.

A report out this week by professor David Blake of Cass Business School,
casts an even brighter future for the city after Brexit. In his report he
says the key is keeping *transitional arrangements* as short as possible,
and if there is no trading agreement in prospect, we should leave
immediately.
Brexit is a golden opportunity for the City of London
to become a world financial centre which takes the lead in the new digital
revolution.

One in three of all cars manufactured in Germany are sold into the UK - making
the UK the biggest export destination for German car manufacturers. A whole third
of their market ..... and you honestly think they wont trade with us?

Good luck with your free trade agreements with the likes of outer mongolia and Bolivia

Well there could be a market out there, there is a lot of economic growth

to be made in under developed areas.

But hell there's a whole world out there - Japan, America, Canada, Australia,

S.Africa, S.America, N.Zealand, India, (fastest growing economy) Russia? (make

trade not war)

I am sure the EU will trade with us, (but they are so slow and cumbersome we

will have traded every where else by the time all the other countries have been

brought into line to arrive at an agreement)

We, the UK will become lean fit and quick, first past the post!!

If we do smaller deals .... we'll just do more of them!!

You being a Scotsman I shouldn't need me to tell you

*Many a mickle makes a muckle*

edit on 18-3-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

From what I have seen I have my doubts that another referendum would lead

to an independent Scotland. Nicola Sturgon lost her prime argument of a rich

Scotland almost immediately after that referendum, when oil prices tanked

to half the previous value!

Scotland doesn't pay a premium for being in the UK ..... There's a high

premium for being in the EU (one of the reasons many voted Brexit we are now

able to spend that money as we want not as they want us to) Can

Scotland afford that exhorbitant premium it is NOT a FREE club? And they will

not be getting the extra per person that they now get from Westminster.

The people in Scotland that I have seen being interviewed from the fishing and

agricultral industries, dont want a second referendum.

Political Correspondent Stephen Pollard

Instead of the crash that the remainers promised there has been a
succession of positive economic stories, pretty much non stop since the
vote for Brexit. Take this weeks unemployment figures for example they
are at a 40 year record low. 4.7% the lowest since 1975.
The FST - 100 share index has never been higher. And Toyota this week
announced a £240 million investment in the UK..... If thats economic crisis
lets have more.

A report published this week by US Bank Morgan Stanley found that just
7% of the 1000 people surveyed are worried about Brexit and have cut
back on their spending.
To put it in perspective that figure is less than half the number (17%) who
said in a YouGov poll that they think the government had covered up
evidence of the existance of intelligent extra-terrestrial life.

A report out this week by professor David Blake of Cass Business School,
casts an even brighter future for the city after Brexit. In his report he
says the key is keeping *transitional arrangements* as short as possible,
and if there is no trading agreement in prospect, we should leave
immediately.
Brexit is a golden opportunity for the City of London
to become a world financial centre which takes the lead in the new digital
revolution.

One in three of all cars manufactured in Germany are sold into the UK - making
the UK the biggest export destination for German car manufacturers. A whole third
of their market ..... and you honestly think they wont trade with us?

Good luck with your free trade agreements with the likes of outer mongolia and Bolivia

Well there could be a market out there, there is a lot of economic growth

to be made in under developed areas.

But hell there's a whole world out there - Japan, America, Canada, Australia,

S.Africa, S.America, N.Zealand, India, (fastest growing economy) Russia? (make

trade not war)

I am sure the EU will trade with us, (but they are so slow and cumbersome we

will have traded every where else by the time all the other countries have been

brought into line to arrive at an agreement)

We, the UK will become lean fit and quick, first past the post!!

If we do smaller deals .... we'll just do more of them!!

You being a Scotsman I shouldn't need me to tell you

*Many a mickle makes a muckle*

without even going into detail mate, though i wll once gather the corrct information blow every peice of regurgitated main stream media garbage about Scotland and it's finances let me leave you with this.

The UK as a whole has since 1782 gathered somewhere in the region of £8 trillion in assets. Scotland being 8.6% part of the UK since 1872 is entitled to 8.6% of those assets in the event of separation..

The Uk is 1.7 trillion£ in debt and finds itself cutting benefits from the poorest of society to try and balance the books...and it aint working...
Scotland is 12 billion£ in debt to guess who...yip, London. Sounds to me like London will iou Scotland a #load more than our supposed black hole debt at the end of the day.. If anyone finds it'self in # street after Scotland becomes independent it will be London...scotland will be more than fine.

BTW, Our £12 billion black hole debt is just our % share of the UK £140 billion black hole debt. We, Us, Scotland have every right to a share in the UK's assets, as we us scots helped to build those assets up..simple math, but something you nae sayers never seem to think or talk about. All you ever seen to do is spout daily fail and the ##n headlines with very little facts to back it up......just for the record..José Manuel Barroso is a nobody. Quote him till the day you die, Scotland will be a member of the EU within months after independence and the pound will be our currency if we so choose.

Soar Alba.

Pay us what we are due and # off.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join