It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Theresa May stands firm as Article 50 passes both houses

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Playing Devil's advocate, Solo makes valid points. Scotland voted to remain in the EU, same Northern Ireland, just the population numbers of England and Wales tipped the balance.

There has to be another referendum or the issue will never be resolved.
As I stated earlier in the thread it is a messy situation, but without a further referendum I suspect it could be even worse.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I think it's insane to campaign for independence from the UK only to throw it away by getting on your knees for Brussels.

I don't have a vote on Scottish independence though, I really do think that an indy ref scheduled for the first anniversary of the UK s formal secession from the EU would let everyone involved have a clear idea of what is in their best interests.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Westminster could also draft a bill guaranteeing the same cash from London when it stops being paid to the EU and redistributed back as currently.
It's the same UK cash, so guarantee it to the devolved governments and I reckon the Scots would vote to stay UK.

Only my musings though, who knows anything, but that referendum has to, and will happen in the short to medium term.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: zGrimReapah

I have always said that the only really positive thing about getting out of the EU, will be the fact that we will have a chance to rise up as a people and get our parliament reorganised according to our will, rather than according to the will of big businesses and old money interests.

I look forward to watching how this all plays out for the Brits...If I was a betting man I would put my money on them and not the EU... I kind of thought you all kept this in your back pocket when you never replaced the pound sterling.

edit on 19-3-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Lol yes, all the pro EU folk cried doom when we rejected monetary union at the time.
They were all proven wrong.
Thank # we dropped that hot potato.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
...and to Scots intending to vote for leaving the UK I have done my best to educate myself on your choices, and all the comments from the EU I've read indicate you'd have to accept monetary union and the € euro.

I'd think very carefully, but respect your informed choice. Democracy n all.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: liammc

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: liammc

originally posted by: 0rbital

Over half the population appears to be as thick as #. but dont worry...rule britannia a stiff upper lip old bean, the dunkirk spirit and all that..bollocks. Once again the people of England votes for # and 3 other countries have to live with Englands choice...go # yourself.

Scotland is our bitch, get over it.
Funny thing is we are a union in the fist place because of a Scottish king and they act as if we took their independence!

Bollocks. You really should go back to school and get yourself a history o level.
How is it bollocks?

Go on smart ass, tell me...

treaty of Union

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Playing Devil's advocate, Solo makes valid points. Scotland voted to remain in the EU, same Northern Ireland, just the population numbers of England and Wales tipped the balance.

I did say in an earlier post .....

There are many Scots who live in England and if they had voted OUT it would

then be counted as an English vote? although it would have been cast by a Scot.

There is no way to measure that!

If there was a way to extrapolate those votes into the Scottish votes, it could

indeed tip the balance for OUT

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
...and to Scots intending to vote for leaving the UK I have done my best to educate myself on your choices, and all the comments from the EU I've read indicate you'd have to accept monetary union and the € euro.

I'd think very carefully, but respect your informed choice. Democracy n all.

I wish more people round here were like you. It is definitely not a decision to be taken lightly. Last time round I was undecided until I did some research. I became a staunch Yes supporter after beig angered by the lies of Better Together.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
I did say in an earlier post .....

There are many Scots who live in England and if they had voted OUT it would

then be counted as an English vote? although it would have been cast by a Scot.

There is no way to measure that!

If there was a way to extrapolate those votes into the Scottish votes, it could

indeed tip the balance for OUT

There are also many English who live in Scotland, if they voted Remain, they would have been counted as Scottish votes. Let's put it another way. Those residing in England and Wales voted Out, those residing in Scotland and N. Ireland voted In, regardless of nationality (I'm sure there were people not from the UK but entitled to vote voted In and some who voted Out too)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Union of the Crowns of of England and Scotland 1603

The Crowns of England and Scotland were united in 1603 when James VI of King Scotland became James 1st King of England. In October 1604, one year later , he decreed that the Royal Title would use the term Great Brittaine to refer to the "one Imperiall Crowne" made up of England and Scotland.

In 1707 The Acts of Union uniting England and Scotland under one Parliament and Crown came into effect. Queen Anne had recommended the union of the two kingdoms in her first speech to parliament in 1702.

www.britroyals.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Soloprotocol

Union of the Crowns of of England and Scotland 1603

The Crowns of England and Scotland were united in 1603 when James VI of King Scotland became James 1st King of England. In October 1604, one year later , he decreed that the Royal Title would use the term Great Brittaine to refer to the "one Imperiall Crowne" made up of England and Scotland.

In 1707 The Acts of Union uniting England and Scotland under one Parliament and Crown came into effect. Queen Anne had recommended the union of the two kingdoms in her first speech to parliament in 1702.

www.britroyals.com...

The Treaty of Union is the name given to the agreement that led to the creation of Great Britain,[1][2] the political union of the Kingdom of England (which already included Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland, which took effect on 1 May 1707. Treaty were agreed on 22 July 1706, and separate Acts of Union were then passed by the parliaments of England and Scotland to ratify the Treaty and put it into effect.

Anne was many things, a man and a king she was not.

I rest my case.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The Treaty of Union is the name given to the agreement that led to the creation of Great Britain,[1][2] the political union of the Kingdom of England (which already included Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland, which took effect on 1 May 1707. Treaty were agreed on 22 July 1706, and separate Acts of Union were then passed by the parliaments of England and Scotland to ratify the Treaty and put it into effect.

England and Scotland were already united 100 years before 1706 by the ruling

monarchy.

King James the V1 of Scotland acceded the English throne in 1603 and decreed

the unification of the crowns of Scotland and England be united and his royal

title would use the term GREAT BRITTAINE to refer to the

*one imperial crowne* of England and Scotland together

So there you have it a Royal Scottish King wanting/decreeing

to unite with the English

Who would of thought it ..... He must be turning in his grave!!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

England and Scotland were already united 100 years before 1706 by the ruling

monarchy.

King James the V1 of Scotland acceded the English throne in 1603 and decreed

the unification of the crowns of Scotland and England be united and his royal

title would use the term GREAT BRITTAINE to refer to the

*one imperial crowne* of England and Scotland together

So there you have it a Royal Scottish King wanting/decreeing

to unite with the English

Who would of thought it ..... He must be turning in his grave!!

All the lights are on but nobody's home...Here it is again for the thick of plank.

History of the United Kindom

The history of the United Kingdom as a unified sovereign state began in 1707 with the political union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland, into a united kingdom called Great Britain.[

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You're both right.

The crown was united in the 1603 with the Union of the Crowns. I think there was de-unification of the Crown during the Interregnum when the English Civil War put a temporary end to the monarchy.

The political unification came a century later, although there were several attempts in the period between 1603 and when it finally happened.

Anyway, to topic. Article 50 to be triggered by a letter on 29 March. The letter will say:

Dear Donald (Tusk)
As you know and blah, blah, blah, and hope that blah, blah, blah.
Yours sincerely
Theresa
x

edit on 20/3/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Anyway, to topic. Article 50 to be triggered by a letter on 29 March. The letter will say:

Dear Donald (Tusk)
As you know and blah, blah, blah, and hope that blah, blah, blah.
Yours sincerely
Theresa
x

Donald Tusk has said that “When the UK notifies, it is our goal to react with the draft negotiation guidelines for the 27 member states to consider.

“For this I think we need more or less 48 hours.”

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
EU commission spooks are right now spreading rumors about possible snap elections in the UK to attempt to disrupt imminent Brexit.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86
EU commission spooks are right now spreading rumors about possible snap elections in the UK to attempt to disrupt imminent Brexit.

Got any links to this? It doesn't seem likely, nothing will stop Darth May trundling on with her Brexit Bulldozer, the EU leaders (and spooks) know this. There may be a couple of Referendums coming up but not heard anything about snap elections...

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86

Doubtful, May would return with a larger majority right now.

Labour are an utter mess and none of the other parties really matter. Scotland belongs to the SNP these days.

Unless May is transformed into someone who will ignore the referendum (about as likely as me ever believing a thing the Lib Dems say, ever again), then an early election strengthens her hand immensely.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I agree, I can't see Mrs May going anywhere unless she gets forced out.
Neither would I if I was Prime Minister right now. There would be many policy differences between us but can't please everyone all the time and all that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join