It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas allows guns in college classrooms under new law

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
Gin

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
That's good for them, no sitting ducks in Texas now. People used to do that in the past, went hunting in the morning and brought the rifles along to the school after.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Some have allowed campus carry for a few years now with no incident.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Why bribe your prof when you can threaten them with gun violence!

That's what we need, Frat Houses with the option of a shooting range with your peer pong.

Jesus Texas...I get it, you like Guns and stuff, but let's be sensible.

This IS sensible. Most all massacres have taken place in "Gun Free Zones." Ask yourself, why is this? Because there are defenseless victims inside. And for the record, it used to be that high school kids took their guns to school and used the range in the basement for practice during lunch. No, not ALL schools, but it was very common through the fifties. And guess what? No one got hurt. Nowdays if a kid makes a "gun" with his fingers he gets expelled. And gun violence has increased.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
No surprise there...having lived in Texas I recall one old good boy telling me there were two reasons for murder, one it family and two was "they needed it"...so gums in class rooms is not a surprise.
Cheers

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
For a year plus now my state has legal carry on campus. There has been no issues. While not Texas in crime rates, for example, maybe legal states can weigh in on what to expect. In fact due to a campus stalking(not correctly dealt with by authorities) and later murder of a student at one of the universities, campus carry self defense may have saved the young women(RIP).

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Thanks for the reply. It can go a couple ways. One, we learn in getting our license...if you are gonna conceal-carry...carry everywhere, everyday, all the time. Unless of course its in a gun-free zone. Michigan, its churches without permission, bars where 50% of sales are derived from the sale of alcohol, and entertainment venues over 2,500 patrons, and a few other places.

As far as under lock and key? I NEVER lock mine, because its with me everywhere, everyday and night. Its loaded with 10 in the clip and one in the chamber-a 45 cal ACP with hollow points. I go into everywhere legally, including the police stations as I work in the city complex...and at home, its next to me while I sleep. There are no kids around, and it wont get stolen because its never someplace by itself, unless a gun free zone...and our pastor likes knowing in church I have one for the safety of the congregation.

All that being said? Its a contradiction in terms whereas Im an Emergency Med Tech and 1st Responder/Homeland Security trained so...if I shot someone, I also in my line of work...RESPOND to shootings to save lives. It may be odd...but I am never...ever...ever...gonna let anyone hurt me, my wife, mother in law, dog, my neighbors, party store owners, gas station attendants, children in a playground...no one if I see it...ever. Never.

People outside of America have a hard time understanding our gun views...but its the way it is. Its the freedom to own them, defend ourselves and others...so as long as the bad guys get them...I will have mine. Everywhere I can. All the time.

Thanks for letting me vent some here....Best, MS
edit on 1-8-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Texans sure do love them their guns 

I'll see your thinly veiled insult, and raise you a grammar lesson. The correct term is "them there.
Them there: dialectical colloquialism; synonymous with "those".

Grammatically correct (yet equally smug).
No I'm not going to address the actual OP, because your bias is showing...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
My first reaction was to think "Oh NO!"
But on second thought, if I happened to be in one of those classrooms where a shooter came in, I'm sure I would be thankful for his/her presence.

Star for you- thank you for applying some basic reasoning to the situation.

I understand some people are scared of tools- I know a girl who won't use a power drill... but she's a great shot with a 10/22.

Dollars to donuts there won't be any mass shootings in any of these campuses anytime soon. It wouldn't fit the agenda, because the attacker would be violently put down by the students in moments. That wouldn't fit the agenda at all...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
One less victim honeypot available. This should make folks happy. Fewer sitting ducks is a good thing.

For women, it's one more chance that the guy harassing you or catcalling you is armed. And you can't shoot every single jerk on campus.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: blood0fheroes

Actually, grammar be damned, it wasn't an insult. I guess you are just very sensitive?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I don't trust college kids living the dorm life with loose guns around. Sure, there are other ways of locking it down, I would feel much better they had a safe. Maybe a small one, like most hotels/motels have provided by the school.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Good for Texas!! Since the mass shooters always hit gun-free zones, students in Texas should be a lot safer now.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Why bribe your prof when you can threaten them with gun violence!

That's what we need, Frat Houses with the option of a shooting range with your peer pong.

Jesus Texas...I get it, you like Guns and stuff, but let's be sensible.

~Tenth

It's a pride thing, doing stupid things with something you like is how you show off just how much you like it, it's designed to be offensive too.

They're doing literally the exact same thing gay rights groups do with their parades.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Good morning Swills. Oh, yes. I should have made that clear.

Safes, in vehicles and dorm rooms are a must..in fact there should be some restraint and security MORESO in dorms. I know 1st hand. I lived at Eastern Michigan U. for 5 years, and U of M Ann Arbor for 6 more...and at 1st a rooming house with all kinds coming and going. In the beginning it was party, party, party over there (not me, I was sharing with my now-wife...but it was crazy-irresponsible 1st-time away from home kids...)

There does need to be a secure way to keep the students safe. Especially in educational enviroments. But, I dont think its gonna be easy.

But, you are absolutely right. Thanks....Best

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Several people posting on this subject have overlooked an important fact. The person carrying the weapon has to have a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) in the first place. In every State a requirement for a CCP is that the permit holder be 21 or older. So the whole "kids away from home for the first time" argument is BS.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Several people posting on this subject have overlooked an important fact. The person carrying the weapon has to have a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) in the first place. In every State a requirement for a CCP is that the permit holder be 21 or older. So the whole "kids away from home for the first time" argument is BS.

21 year olds are still kids.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Good.. this will prevent a Class of 1999 scenario..

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

No they aren't.

18-21 year olds join the military too.

We can trust them with machine guns and select fire rifles but not a CCW?

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
No they aren't.

We give them machine guns and send them off to play soldier, because people are at their physical peak in their late teens/early 20's. Their brains aren't fully formed until their late 20's and people don't really gain impulse control until their 30's.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: projectvxn
No they aren't.

We give them machine guns and send them off to play soldier, because people are at their physical peak in their late teens/early 20's. Their brains aren't fully formed until their late 20's and people don't really gain impulse control until their 30's.

And we send them to trial as adults at 12 & 13.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join