It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas allows guns in college classrooms under new law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

A new law went into effect in Texas on Monday that allows certain students to bring guns into classrooms, with supporters saying it could prevent mass shootings and critics saying the measure will endanger safety on campuses.

The so-called state "campus carry" law allows people 21 and older with a concealed handgun license to carry pistols in classrooms and buildings throughout public colleges, including the University of Texas system, one of the nation's largest with an enrollment of more than 214,000 students.

"What campus carry does is that it only authorizes those who go through the special training and background" to carry firearms, he was quoted as saying by his office.

University of Texas professors lobbied unsuccessfully to prevent the law, arguing that the combination of youth, firearms and college life could make for a deadly situation. University President Gregory Fenves reluctantly allowed campus carry, saying he was compelled to do so under state law.

The law allows private colleges to opt out, and most of the state's best-known private universities have done so, saying the measure runs counter to protecting student safety.

Eight states allow people to carry concealed weapons on public post-secondary campuses, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Is anyone surprised Texas would pass this kind of law? Texans sure do love them their guns and I'm sure the majority of them who own guns are responsible. If you wanna carry on campus you must pass a special training course so I hope all those who are granted licenses are vehemently vetted! I wasn't aware that there are campuses in 8 other states that allow this! So I guess those who argue for and against conceal carry on school grounds should be looking into all these schools!

edit on 1-8-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
After so many massacres in schools wouldn't it make sense to allow students to fight back?

Also, these aren't children. They are adults who happen to be students.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

This is great progress. I know Ohio is thinking about allowing this as well.

My daughter wants to be able to CC at her school as it has lots of inner city violence as it is an urban campus.

It will be much harder for loan gunmen in Texas.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Great news. Aren't you happy that law abiding citizens are exercising their rights?

edit on 8/1/2016 by Blueracer because: Grammar

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
One less victim honeypot available. This should make folks happy. Fewer sitting ducks is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Sometimes a conceal carry stops the shootings, sometimes it doesn't but these are crazy times we're in and these shootings just don't seem to stop! So I'm for it, because of that reason but I totally understand the other side of argument because college kids can and will be very immature, emotional, and stressseeeedd out!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Get out! Your daughter is carrying?! I gotta say, that's awesome and good for you teaching her how to be a responsible and safe gun owner!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer

Great news. Aren't you be happy that law abiding citizens are exercising their rights?

It isn't on the Progressive check list of protected rights.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Yeah, sure, why not?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Get out! Your daughter is carrying?! I gotta say, that's awesome and good for you teaching her how to be a responsible and safe gun owner!

She is a better shot than me too.

I worry about her choosing an urban campus, but at least she will be ready.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I wasn't aware that there are campuses in 8 other states that allow this!

Do you know why you weren't aware of that?

I'll give you a minute to figure it out.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Oh I hear ya, some progressives would ban guns all together if they had their way but the 2nd amendment would never allow it. But, I get where they're coming from with all the gun violence in this county. That said, not all progressive, liberals, democrats, whatever, want to ban guns. Nothing wrong with being vetted if you want to own a assault weapon, handgun, hell even a rifle because these latest mass murders the weapons were all bought legally. We have a failed system in place and it needs to be fixed asap! Good luck to us though, because gov't.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You must feel so much better knowing shes armed and protected. Every father should teach his daughter how to use and carry a gun!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Lemme guess, because the MSM doesn't want me to know, right?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Nope. Close, though.

ETA: Want a hint?
edit on 8/1/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Maybe they've finally landed on a method to get liberal professors (who've never worked a day in their lives) ...

... to walk.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

'Bout time. All states remaining should adopt the same!

MS
CPL Holder, Licensed and trained, ready to defend

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why bribe your prof when you can threaten them with gun violence!

That's what we need, Frat Houses with the option of a shooting range with your peer pong.

Jesus Texas...I get it, you like Guns and stuff, but let's be sensible.

~Tenth

link   
a reply to: NthOther

Sure, spit it out.

link   
a reply to: Snarl

The article says that professors did protest it but I doubt they've quit, yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join