It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten (10) Commandments in the New Testament

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Dcopymope

He did say that we had to follow the Law, it was his mission to fulfill it SO we follow it.

He was nice enough to show how to follow the ten commandments in two that he called the greatest commandments.

Pretty simple stuff. But you are trying to say he was anti Torah (Law=Torah) which is absurd.

Torah is Law in Hebrew so everytime he says Law he is saying the Torah or the first 5 books of the Bible.

If it's a part of the Bible it applies, but the ten commandments are still valid as ever.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shahada

He did say that we had to follow the Law, it was his mission to fulfill it SO we follow it.

He was nice enough to show how to follow the ten commandments in two that he called the greatest commandments.

Pretty simple stuff. But you are trying to say he was anti Torah (Law=Torah) which is absurd.

Torah is Law in Hebrew so everytime he says Law he is saying the Torah or the first 5 books of the Bible.

If it's a part of the Bible it applies, but the ten commandments are still valid as ever.

I believe that the ability to comprehend what you read should be a fairly simple task unless we are talking about rocket science. I never said he was anti-Torah, nor will you find a scripture stating such.

(Galatians 3:20-29) "Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. [21] Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. [22] But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. [23] But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. [27] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise."

I, as a believer in Christ, am not under the covenant established at Mount Sinai, but under the new covenant established by the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross. The law of Moses condemns, but Jesus redeems. You can believe you are still under the old covenant if you wish, just know that this will only get you drop kicked into the lake of fire.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

The OT prophecies that there would come a time when God's law would be on our hearts. (Jeremiah 31:33) Another way to say it, our conscious. So in essence yes, there is a prophecy in the OT that says the Mosaiac Law would end.

The emergence of Christ ended said laws... Not that many of them weren't accurate, but love governs all of the laws that matter... his burden is light

And if you think about the temple being destroyed in 70 AD the law can't be done today even if someone wanted to try.

That would be to say that when these laws were written, it wasn't possible for them to follow said laws because they didn't have the right building...

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Not sure what you mean, they have not had a temple since 70 AD, so even if someone wanted to try and keep the Mosaic Law it would be impossible. There isn't a Leviticus priesthood or temple to do the sacrifices under the law. That's the main reason the Council of Jamnia was convened in 90AD, now Judaism is Talmudic and not Mosaic. It's now a religion of works following the Talmud.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

You keep going back to that assumed council...

Where are you getting this from?

Ye got a link or something?

its only theoretical... you know that right?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

There is a lot of myths associated with the Council, it's debated that they decided their OT canon there, and I agree with the people who say that didn't happen because the OT canon was decided upon and widely accepted before Jesus was born. But they did come together to try and re-establish the Sanhedrin court and they needed to redirect the faith of Judaism because obviously there was no longer a temple and Leviticus priesthood with which to do the sacrifices.

Link

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I think we got off track here...

Love took over rule... most did not follow

Thus, many of the "laws" that were old were useless once we knew the truth, life, and the way...

Which has little to do with ritual... and most especially blood sacrifice

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Atonement for all man's sin was made, it is finished.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

thus Hell can't exist?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

thus Hell can't exist?

It's sure does exist, it was created for Satan and the fallen angels. If we refuse the free gift of God to escape that destiny through the atonement His Son made then we will be there too. He'll is the absence of God and everything good that comes from Him. If we choose we don't want God, don't want a relationship with Him, then He will not force us to be with Him for eternity.

Jesus effectually said, If you deny me I will deny you before my Father and His angels. Not a good place to be.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

And yet, sin is just as alive, active and effective as ever! Surely, the sins of the world have not (yet) been removed.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
That's right the law of liberty in Christ.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

And yet, sin is just as alive, active and effective as ever! Surely, the sins of the world have not (yet) been removed.

Correct, just atoned for. They won't be removed until we have a glorified body and Satan, fallen angel, and demons are cast into the lake of fire on judgment day.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dcopymope

originally posted by: Shahada

I believe that the ability to comprehend what you read should be a fairly simple task unless we are talking about rocket science. I never said he was anti-Torah, nor will you find a scripture stating such.

(Galatians 3:20-29) "Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. [21] Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. [22] But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. [23] But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. [27] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise."

I, as a believer in Christ, am not under the covenant established at Mount Sinai, but under the new covenant established by the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross. The law of Moses condemns, but Jesus redeems. You can believe you are still under the old covenant if you wish, just know that this will only get you drop kicked into the lake of fire.

Well that's awesome good for you!!!

I, as a believer in the Spirit, don't need laws or rules and do just fine without believing in blood sacrifice as atonement for sin.

I don't need to because of the Spirit I know how to live and don't worry about much of anything really.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Why can't we just go by why Jesus said, that nothing would pass from the law until it all was fulfilled. And He said that He came to fulfil. Why can't we say exactly what He said without taking away from it? Jesus fulfilled the law, He said He came to fulfil the law. That's awesome, glory to Jesus. Now we aren't under the law, but under a new covenant. Even prophecies in the OT said we would someday be under the law written on our hearts. God tells us if we violate he two laws, He convicts us.

As Jesus died and by his blood was a new covenant established. There are God's laws and there are man made laws but all are under contract of God and man. Different contracts with different people.

How do I understand that? By the very first synagogue of James who was the brother of Jesus and the first Nazarene Nasi. How so? James, by the authority given to him by Jesus Himself, declared that the sacrifice of other life and their blood was not pleasing to God and that it was never pleasing to the Father. It was a necessity for a time in teaching but no longer needed as the law is instilled in the hearts of men.

Then by James the blood sacrifice was done away with but the commandments were not done away with. Thou shalt not commit adultery is a command from God but yet Jesus found forgiveness for that transgression whereby in the days of Moses it was punished by death. The laws do not change but the punishment of those laws have changed with grace. The era of Moses knew no grace but only harsh punishment but that was the contract Moses had with the Father. Jesus came to fulfill (complete) the law through grace.

Was James wrong? Ask yourself, if James was wrong then why is it that we have no blood sacrifice today? Is because God took the temple away? But then the temple was not taken away when James forbid the sacrifice. So the transition period was from James to the destruction of the temple. Now God knew that men would not follow James and that men's hearts were continually evil. Therefore God caused the temple to be erased from among them. Then the same people rebuilt another temple and sacrificed once again and to show displeasure God once again took the temple from them and then they became lost once again. Some are still lost but James has prevailed in that he forbid the covenant of Moses to be instilled in him for James preached the Covenant of the Christ which is grace.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ScatteredThirdAngel

Why do men say we don't have to keep the 10 Commandments

The 10 Commandments as written may be numbered differently by different people. This is my tentative numbering.

1) Do not make a treaty with the people in the land. Break down their alters, smash their sacred stones, cut down their Asherah poles. Do not worship any other god.

2) You shall make no cast idols for yourselves

3) You shall keep the feast of unleavened bread. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread

4) All the firstborn are mine; and all your livestock that is male, the firstborn of cow and sheep.
The firstborn of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb: and if you will not redeem it, then you shall break its neck.
All the firstborn of your sons you shall redeem.

5) No one shall appear before me empty.

6) Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest.

7) Observe the feast of weeks with the first fruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of harvest at the year's end.
Three times in the year all your males shall appear before the Lord Yahweh, the God of Israel. For I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your borders; neither shall any man desire your land when you go up to appear before Yahweh, your God, three times in the year.

8) You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the Passover be left to the morning.

9)You shall bring the first of the first fruits of your ground to the house of Yahweh your God.

10) You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk

Like I said, some people may choose to number them differently.

Ex 34:27 Yahweh said to Moses, "Write you these words: for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." 28He was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread, nor drank water. He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

10) You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk

Now there's a comandment I can keep!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Then by James the blood sacrifice was done away with but the commandments were not done away with. Thou shalt not commit adultery is a command from God but yet Jesus found forgiveness for that transgression whereby in the days of Moses it was punished by death. The laws do not change but the punishment of those laws have changed with grace. The era of Moses knew no grace but only harsh punishment but that was the contract Moses had with the Father. Jesus came to fulfill (complete) the law through grace.

What was "done away with" was having a laundry list of commands to keep in the flesh, Jesus gave us 2 commands to follow, 1) love God with all our heart, mind and soul, and 2) love every mm as we would love ourself. So in those 2 commands is adultry being a sin done away with? Of course not, that would be in the 2nd command of Christ. We would be furious if adultery was done to us, therefore don't commit it with another. If fact, Christ upped the standard from adultery being an action, no made it a matter of the heart. Just looking at a married woman with sexual desire is a sin, way before the act of adultery. But yet again, that goes to Christ's 2nd command to follow. Would I like someone doing that to my wife? Of course not, therefore I don't do that to bother, that's sin.

Jesus said the entire law and prophets were contained in 2 commands. James added fornication and eating meat sacrificed to idols, and those aren't grevious commands at all.

James said these are the requirements for Gentiles, and said its from the Holy Spirit:

For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: 29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.

edit on 7 17 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Now there's a comandment I can keep!

I think I've never done such a thing myself, but people have extended it to cheeseburgers too.

So, as a heathen, when a band of vandals comes tearing down my objects which seem they're commanded to smash, should I go ahead and eat a cheeseburger while they're smashing?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Oh! So that's where that prohibition comes from. Now I know! And, I do know that cheeseburgers are not kosher, but yummy!
edit on 17-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join