It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten (10) Commandments in the New Testament

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

but yummy!

You realize I took a big risk there.
You could have just as easily cursed me for not being a vegetarian.

Whooooh! Dodged a bullet.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Now there's a comandment I can keep!

I think I've never done such a thing myself, but people have extended it to cheeseburgers too.

So, as a heathen, when a band of vandals comes tearing down my objects which seem they're commanded to smash, should I go ahead and eat a cheeseburger while they're smashing?

I noticed that you call yourself a heathen. It seemed to maybe offend you that Jesus considered you a heathen.

I don't preach, not a Christian. I do know that heathen is a meaningless word that I don't think Jesus used. Make disciples of all nations was his final decree to his Apostles and disciples.

Gentile is a word that came to mean something it isn't. Nations is what the Greek says and isn't racial or religious.

Gentiles or heathens or Cretans all don't apply to anyone in reality and Jesus was no hater of Romans but his Judean friends all were. But it should not offend you as far as Christ goes because he didn't hate anyone.

Just wanted to let you know that translation might have made it seem that way but if anything he was a diplomat and of all the people in the Bible he deserves that the least.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shahada

lets not try to confuse the issue. there is no middle ground - you are either with jesus, or against him. says so in the book. if you are not with jesus, you can explain it away with all the soft language you want, but the end result is the same.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
dp
edit on 17-7-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Heathen
(Heb. plural goyum). At first the word goyim denoted generally all the nations of the world ( Genesis 18:18 ; Compare Galatians 3:8 ). The Jews afterwards became a people distinguished in a marked manner from the other goyim . They were a separate people ( Leviticus 20:23 ; 26:14-45 ; Deuteronomy 28 ), and the other nations, the Amorites, Hittites, etc., were the goyim , the heathen, with whom the Jews were forbidden to be associated in any way ( Joshua 23:7 ; 1 Kings 11:2 ). The practice of idolatry was the characteristic of these nations, and hence the word came to designate idolaters ( Psalms 106:47 ; Jeremiah 46:28 ; Lamentations 1:3 ; Isaiah 36:18 ), the wicked ( Psalms 9:5 Psalms 9:15 Psalms 9:17 ).

The corresponding Greek word in the New Testament, ethne , has similar shades of meaning. In Acts 22:21 , Galatians 3:14 , it denotes the people of the earth generally; and in Matthew 6:7 , an idolater. In modern usage the word denotes all nations that are strangers to revealed religion.
biblestudytools-heathen

Basically, anyone outside of "monotheist person of the book". The Roman term translated to Pagan meant a non-member of one of the city religions, like farmers, and other country folk.
edit on 17-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

Also, I'd like to protest the quoted material's use of the word Jew, which means nothing, just a modern word. The book says that the tribal deity of Abraham et al made a covenant with a confederacy of tribes known as Israel. No mention of a covenant with Jews(whatever that is), unless you count the man made Purim holiday as recorded in Esther.

The Talmud lists Mordecai and Esther as prophets.[10] The Talmud says Mordecai prophesied in the second year of Darius.

Mordecai's genealogy in the second chapter of the Book of Esther is given as a descendant of Kish of the Tribe of Benjamin. Kish was also the name of the father of King Saul, and the Talmud accords Mordecai the status of a descendant of the first King of Israel.[11]
en.wikipedia.org...

What do you know about that! Prophet status from the tribe of Benjamin! Where have we heard about that?
Hey, you got an avatar! Grats!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Now there's a comandment I can keep!

I think I've never done such a thing myself, but people have extended it to cheeseburgers too.

So, as a heathen, when a band of vandals comes tearing down my objects which seem they're commanded to smash, should I go ahead and eat a cheeseburger while they're smashing?

Lol, absolutely not. I means braising or steeping raw meat in cream or milk, and it is actually unhealthy. I'm a former executive chef. Who said it was cheeseburgers??

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

.jewishpress-so-once-again-why-cant-we-eat-a-ch eeseburger
That's an article by Jeremy Rosen, Orthodox rabbi, humorous guy to read.

His personal conclusion is that it basically means "don't do the ritual acts associated with Ugaritic El worship". Which is pretty much how I take it too.

But many groups, Orthodox mainly take it to mean "don't mix meat and dairy products"

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

translation might have made it seem that way but if anything he was a diplomat

By diplomat, do you mean "Envoy" as in "Envoy from the Realm of Light"?

This might not mean anything, but a banned poster did put this youtube up.
I looked up the lyrics.

Oops!...I did it again
I played with your heart, got lost in the game
Oh baby, baby
Oops!...You think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

Just in case.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

That's hilarious.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shahada
If you're a Christian you should know that the ten commandments are still in effect.

Anyone who teaches otherwise is not paying attention to Jesus.

Nobody needs a teacher for the Bible. Read it and study it and go on the internet. Most Pastors are very limited in knowledge of Biblical history and meaning.

I would disagree with you that nobody needs a teacher for the Bible. God ordained men to share the truth with others, as some are given one ability, and others are given another ability. Nevertheless, there are many false pastors in these days, and it is right for one to study the Bible on their own so that they are not deceived and lost.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join