It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry Says Trans Movement is “Collaborating with Madness”

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

You are more transparent than you think.

Please quote me where I brought anything political into this. This is a medical discussion. So please quote me or stop playing the accusatory victim. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: imjack

If from 6 years old your child started wearing opposite gender clothing and 'experimenting',

Oh my kid is "experimenting" guess he needs a sex change

thats not a logical conclusion for any parent

your kids go through many phases before adulthood how do you know the difference between a phase and dysphoria at age 9?

Dysphoria doesn't share symptoms of a phase. It's a real condition similar to depression, something definitely not similar to a 'phase'. My own father has rejected helping me, and used the word 'phase' when I was younger.

No one really cares about being good at English anymore. Would you be comfortable telling your children 'it's just a phase', you'll grow out of it' for their entire life? Obviously until they reject you?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Okay, I'll grant you that depression is a form of mental "illness". But the dysphoria is not. When the person gets over the grief, the "illness" of depression goes away. When a person finds that job, the "illness" of anxiety goes away. When the gender dysphoria is relieved because the body better matches the brain, the "illness" of depression and/or anxiety goes away.

The condition of losing a loved one is not a mental illness. The condition of not being able to find a job is not a mental illness. The condition of the body not matching the gender in the brain is not a mental illness.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You just can't answer my question without getting offended and having a hissy fit can you?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

originally posted by: onequestion

If from 6 years old your child started wearing opposite gender clothing and 'experimenting',

Oh my kid is "experimenting" guess he needs a sex change

thats not a logical conclusion for any parent

your kids go through many phases before adulthood how do you know the difference between a phase and dysphoria at age 9?

Dysphoria doesn't share symptoms of a phase. It's a real condition similar to depression, something definitely not similar to a 'phase'. My own father has rejected helping me, and used the word 'phase' when I was younger.

No one really cares about being good at English anymore. Would you be comfortable telling your children 'it's just a phase', you'll grow out of it' for their entire life? Obviously until they reject you?

So what are that symptoms that clearly define the difference between a phase and dysphoria?

If I'm getting my kid a sex change I need definitive answers not hypotheticals and feelings.

edit on 6/7/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Here's the way mental health professionals are looking at this: the brain is right, the body is wrong. Nothing wrong with the brain - something wrong with the body. The treatment: fix the body to match the brain - NOT fix the brain to match the body. The disorder is with the body - not the brain.

Are you even paying attention to what you are saying? Holy cow. You have it completely backwards.

The brain is wrong, the body is right. So says their chromosome count, and their male genitalia (if they are born male). The "treatment" is to fix the body because not enough research or medical ability is available to treat the brain.

At the rate we are going, and because the DSM was forced to change the name of the mental disorder, and because of people like you, transgender people may never EVER get their brain fixed because you have been led to believe its not a mental problem, when it so clearly and obviously is.

The "treatment" to change the body has already proven to be the wrong "treatment" and has driven many to take their own lives because they are not satisfied with their bodies even after the "transition". This is because it's a mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Yeah, it's purely a medical discussion. Uh huh. Gotcha.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Your question is a #ing opinion based answer, no one on Earth could, and you're just riding the short end of that stick, MULTIPLE freaking people pointed this out to you. You've said 5 so many times, you don't understand you might aswel say 1 to make the point your trying to make about it 'always being too early'.

The truth is much closer to you don't know how to talk to kids at all.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Likewise, some peoples mental illnesses have them make conscious decisions that ensure they will be locked into lifestyles / situations where being stigmatized... even physically and mentally ABUSED on a daily basis.

Take for instance people whom seek out abusive control freak relationships. Say the 'battered woman'. Many of them choose the types that will abuse them over types who would never. And many of them also instigate the abuse a large portion of the time.

Such people may also have a tendency to illicit substance abuse (further detriment their life situation (and therefore cause more depression, anxiety, etc).

I know first hand of specific 'case study' individuals. And the one in particular I'm thinking of, whom I grew up with, it was the abuse of her raging alcoholic mother, and of her mothers sort of raging alcoholic boyfriends, etc. She 'learned' to have a complex of mental illnesses, which had her become a crystal meth & heroin shooting junky, whom left her children behind, and is currently in the nuthouse (for being too incompetent to stand trial after getting in trouble with the law). She learned that via indoctrination and her life entirely screwed, and there's yet her offspring also now in line for a similar outcome.

My point here is its a fact many people set themselves up to be outcasts, to be shunned, to be minorities, stigmatized, and even ABUSED (both mentally & physically). Different people find different ways to be outcasts, etc. Go to a high school they are easy to spot; you'll find a whole assortment of them. Mental illness is at the core for many or most of such types. And many or most of them were abused to become mentally ill. And now they go about seeking yet more abuse. Abuse is the norm for them, so in groups where for whom it is not, they set themselves up to be abused by them. It's happening en masse everyday in High School America.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Okay for 1, a phase isn't something you 'grow out of', you normally complete them.

a distinct period or stage in a process of change or forming part of something's development.

While Dysphoria is almost identical sounding to depression

a state of unease or generalized dissatisfaction with life.

As for more definitive answer, labor terms have evidence to causing it too.

If your mom goes into Early labor, and you're male,
or
If your mom goes into Late labor and you're female

you have much higher odds of having uncomplete sexual brain development. (Technically the female-male one 'overcooks' but w/e)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

The "treatment" to change the body has already proven to be the wrong "treatment" and has driven many to take their own lives because they are not satisfied with their bodies even after the "transition". This is because it's a mental disorder.

More recent research points to a biological cause. Some hard wiring disconnect between the brain and the body. You can deny that all you want, but the research is there.

Sure, someday they might find a way to fix the wiring in utero to make the body do what the brain says, but that's not an option now.

Recent research also tells us that when people with gender dysphoria start the transition early before puberty's permanent effects, the person is much happier with the body as a result. You can deny that all you want, but the research is there.

We have had testimonies from a few trans people on this site, sharing their positive stories of transitioning early. Those lucky souls are quite happy with their transitions and are living normal lives in their community with no one but family and closest friends ever knowing their past.

edit on 7-6-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

So because I'm trying to educate myself on this so I can have some basic compassion for what these people are going but also maintain a semblance of reality AND because of the current discussion happening here I've decide to look into what exactly defines mental disorder.

The New Definition of a Mental Disorder

Apparently it WAS...

DSM-4: “A mental disorder is a clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress or disability or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom.”

then the article says...

Then, under pressure by skeptics as to the whether this definition made any sense whatsoever, they redefined non-existing mental disorders this new way in the recently released DSM-5:

they redefined it as...

"A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above."

Now this leaves me with a question.. what do professionals think about dysphoria...

Because I'll take their word for it over yours.

Gender Dysphoria

Gender dysphoria (formerly Gender Identity Disorder) is defined by strong, persistent feelings of identification with the opposite gender and discomfort with one's own assigned sex that results in significant distress or impairment.

So by using the same system of measurement (metric) applied to everyone we can determine that Gender Dysphoria results in significant distress or impairment. Which in the DSM says that...

Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities.

Am I missing something here? What's the confusion?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

a state of unease or generalized dissatisfaction with life.

Sounds like something every kid in school is going through as they try and find their own identity.

I'm going to need something more definitive before I put my kid on hormones and have their sex changes.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

The confusion is that disorders are bad, and you're calling TSG a disorder, while you're not incorrect, you're only partly correct, TSG is a condition that causes a disorder called Dysphoria, so it's a condition that causes a disorder, and you're ignorantly pushing the conversation to try to find a 'missing link', when there is none. It's not a disorder, it's a condition.

What you're doing is basically the same as asking an autistic person endless questions about autism.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Where's the clinical definition saying that it's bad?

Or is that your opinion?

Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S.—43.8 million, or 18.5%—experiences mental illness in a given year.1
Approximately 1 in 25 adults in the U.S.—10 million, or 4.2%—experiences a serious mental illness in a given year that substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities.2
Approximately 1 in 5 youth aged 13–18 (21.4%) experiences a severe mental disorder at some point during their life. For children aged 8–15, the estimate is 13%.3
1.1% of adults in the U.S. live with schizophrenia.4
2.6% of adults in the U.S. live with bipolar disorder.5
6.9% of adults in the U.S.—16 million—had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.6
18.1% of adults in the U.S. experienced an anxiety disorder such as posttraumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and specific phobias.7
Among the 20.2 million adults in the U.S. who experienced a substance use disorder, 50.5%—10.2 million adults—had a co-occurring mental illness.8
- See more at: www.nami.org...

NAMI

Seems like there's a lot of bad people according to you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

It's more specific than that, you could you know, use Wikipedia and learn things.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

It may well be that both chemicals in the brain as well as hormones in the body are affected, but the biological and psychological/brain chemical sciences are just beginning to explore both sides; less so psychologically, it appears.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.isna.org...

edit on 7-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

It's more specific than that, you could you know, use Wikipedia and learn things.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd rather not use wikipedia to learn things.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Why would there be a clinical definition like that?

Obviously it's a social definition you only have interest in exploiting, unless you would like to share your own personal studies.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
On my end it is. I'm only at medical implications of forcing foreign chemicals into the body that do not need to be there. If you are looking at it from a bias political perspective then that is completely on you. Not once have I brought politics into it. Only medical fact and scientific definitions.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join