It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry Says Trans Movement is “Collaborating with Madness”

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Why would they need mental health experts if this is not a mental illness?

Do you even understand what you are typing?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

I'm choosing to side with the professionals on this one.

I understand that it's uncomfortable and treatment is necessary.

Not arguing that I'm just pointing out the truth in what's been a completely emotionally driven and bias debate.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It seems like 'mental disorders' relating to sexual perversions... at the very least the parallels of such, might ought to have some relevancy in this discussion...

...or are there no such mental disorders there either?

edit on 7-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm so glad to hear you say you will side with the professionals. Because this is what the professionals are currently saying:

DSM-5 aims to avoid stigma and ensure clinical care for individuals who see and feel themselves to be a
different gender than their assigned gender. It replaces the diagnostic name “gender identity disorder”
with “gender dysphoria,” as well as makes other important clarifications in the criteria. It is important
to note that gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder. The critical element of gender dysphoria
is the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition.

To get insurance coverage for the medical treatments, individuals need a diagnosis. The Sexual
and Gender Identity Disorders Work Group was concerned that removing the condition as a psychiatric
diagnosis—as some had suggested—would jeopardize access to care.
Part of removing stigma is about choosing the right words. Replacing “disorder” with “dysphoria” in the diagnostic label is not only more appropriate and consistent with familiar clinical sexology terminology, it also removes the connotation that the patient is “disordered.”

www.dsm5.org...

There. Done. The professionals have spoken.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

Why would they need mental health experts if this is not a mental illness?

Do you even understand what you are typing?

Because these mental health experts who work and research in actual transgender clinics are not your typical by-the-book psychoanalysts who know little to nothing of chromosomes, genetics, hormonal levels, etc.. Read my links, and learn.

In the past nine years I have treated or assessed 220 males presenting with Gender Dysphoria. Taking the most generous estimate of the occurrence of Klinefelter’s in the male population, 1/500, you would have expected 0.44 of these patients to have had that problem. There have been three – not counting the mosaic, the man with Congenital Hypogonadism or of course the one not my patient. This means on my figures Gender Dysphoria occurs in men with Klinefelter’s Syndrome at more than six times the rate in the general male population! While this could be put down simply to awareness of physical difference, I offer it as at least a wisp of evidence that gender identity maybe affected by intrauterine hormone levels.

aboutthatx.blogspot.ca...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

To help you deal with the changes that will be happening with your body, to help you deal with everyone else's reaction to your transition, etc. Transition is a big change. It helps to have therapy before, during and after. But then, I personally think most people in the world could benefit from some therapy at least sometimes.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So an ultra conservative Catholic says he doesn't like Trans people, and idiots take this as 'proof' that Trans people are wrong and shouldn't exist?

Give me a break. This website is becoming pathetic lately, it's Transphobia central around here.

How many threads do you transphobic people need to start? Seriously? What does any of this have to do with Above Top Secret conspiracy theories, aliens, UFOs, etc?

Mods. Come on.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
How many threads do you transphobic people need to start? Seriously? What does any of this have to do with Above Top Secret conspiracy theories, aliens, UFOs, etc?

It has to do with Population Control:

Many influential people began to advocate measures that completely disregarded the most basic of human rights. In 1969, Bernard Berelson, president of the Population Council, recommended punishment for large families and a widespread program of “involuntary fertility controls.” In the same year, Frederick S. Jaffe, vice president of Planned Parenthood-World Population, recommended that the United States government “Encourage increased homosexuality”; place “Fertility control agents in water suppl[ies]”; and “Require women to work and provide few child-care facilities.” He also suggested “Compulsory abortion of out-of-wedlock pregnancies”; “Compulsory sterilization of all who have two children,” and “Stock certificate-type permits for children.”
thewandererpress.com...

The same cast of characters that took control of the National Conference on Women back in 1977 was calling the shots in Cairo. Betty Friedan, Pat Schroeder, Jane Fonda, Gloria Steinem, Bella Abzug and other radical feminists were on hand to promote their anti-family agenda to all the nations of the world.

The U.S. pushed the position that abortion should become universally available in every country, and that every nation should embrace freely available abortion as the fundamental right of all women.

"This could be described as the largest Planned Parenthood meeting in history," said Monsignor Peter Elliot, a member of the Vatican's delegation to Cairo. Its purpose was to promote condom usage, abortion, radical feminism and homosexual activism around the world.
www.clintonmemoriallibrary.com...

Richard Nixon, elected president in 1968, agreed that population growth made some freedoms "untenable" and that population control was a top priority in welfare and foreign-aid programs.

Thus, by the end of the 1960s, the U.S. was so deeply immersed in the Culture of Death that "establishment figures" could debate whether "compulsion or broader social changes," like "gender equality" and homosexuality, would best curb population growth. The Population Council then commissioned Disney to create a film in twenty-four languages called Family Planning to make viewers ashamed of having large families, and Judith Blake demanded sexual "indoctrination" in schools and the repeal of laws against homosexuality.
www.newoxfordreview.org...

edit on 7-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think you need to understand that "professionals" were forced to change the name because transgenders and their supporters lobbied to have it changed, not because professionals wanted it to be changed.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I think you need to understand that "professionals" were forced to change the name because transgenders and their supporters lobbied to have it changed, not because professionals wanted it to be changed.

Let's wait for the neuroscientists to chime in.

Overall the weight of these studies and others points strongly toward a biological basis for gender dysphoria. But given the variety of transgender people and the variation in the brains of men and women generally, it will be a long time, if ever, before a doctor can do a brain scan on a child and say, “Yes, this child is trans.”

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My only contention in overriding natural biology to one's self interest...which, as time as proven again and again....most people don't always know what they want, and more often than not, what one WANTS is not necessarily what one NEEDS.

I say this as one who first experienced gender dysphoria at the age of eight, and again at the age of 25.

Had I "taken the next step" and sought to change my physical body to how I "felt" instead of learning to live with myself and love who I am and deal with the reality of my incarnation, I would have regretted it immensely.

I wonder if this is the reason so many Transgendered individuals succumb to suicide....they are under the impression that changing the physical cosmetic will solve all the problems of the psychological and emotional, when this is clearly not the case.

I know there are many who have undergone transition, and who are living happy, fulfilled lives, and I am grateful that they were able to transition over safely and to their advantage. But in the day of faddish ideologies and given the majority of individuals who may jump on the proverbial bandwagon thinking a transition will solve all their problems, I am fearful.

I do agree a psych evaluation to determine the long term ability to manage such a transition and being absolutely SURE the person seeking such a procedure is fully aware of the all the emotional, psychological and physical realities that lie before them before investing the time, dedication and funds to ensure a smooth transition.

We're fast becoming a Society in which there is a quick fix for everything under the sun when it comes to the material, but still have a long way to go in regards to personal character, emotional stability and psychological wellness, and even the details of those considerations seem up to debate.

It's an immensely complicated and highly personal matter all things considered.

edit on 6/7/16 by GENERAL EYES because: minor grammar edit

link   

They just claimed it may be caused by "intrauterine hormone levels". This would prove without a doubt that it is a MENTAL ILLNESS induced by chemical imbalance.

A wide range of mental illnesses are caused by chemical imbalances, as mentioned by me a few posts back.

edit on 7-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Painterz Where was your outrage when Mexicans were violently attacking Trump supporters? Only when its He-shes under attack do your feathers get ruffled, huh?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

They just claimed it may be caused by "intrauterine hormone levels". This would prove without a doubt that it is a MENTAL ILLNESS induced by chemical imbalance.

The endoctrinologists are not claiming that conclusion.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Yes they are, you are just not educated enough to understand them.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Got proof for that? Other than some right-wing blog opinion piece.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

From your source....

This condition causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

DSM5

Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities.

So wtf, please explain why they are contradicting themselves?

edit on 6/7/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yes they are, you are just not educated enough to understand them.

Show me where they are claiming that.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

So they are claiming that they changed it so they can continue to get help from insurance companies.

Odd.

Why don't they make is a medical condition so that medical coverage can cover it then if that's what it really is?

Makes NO SENSE people. Under scrutiny this is not making any sense.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Advocate.com

For years advocates have lobbied the American Psychiatric Association to change or remove categories labeling transgender people in a psychiatric manual, arguing that terms like “Gender Identity Disorder” characterize all trans people as mentally ill.

The way you experience your gender happens in your mind not in your body btw.

Homosexuality was diagnosed in the DSM as an illness until 1973, and conditions pertaining to homosexuality were not entirely removed until 1987.

Interesting tidbit of information and also very sad.

“All psychiatric diagnoses occur within a cultural context,” said Jack Drescher, a member of the APA subcommittee working on the revision.

Also another interesting tidbit of information.

From a legal perspective, the classification of Gender Identity Disorder is extremely harmful to some trans people,

Why is that?

Having a diagnosis is the difference between a necessary medical procedure and something that can be perceived as cosmetic surgery that insurance won’t cover, Drescher says.

This is where they lose me.

They have to diagnose a condition before the insurance will cover it.

Why do they have to diagnose a condition and how can a psychologist diagnose a medical condition?

This isn't adding up people.

that this is a very deep-seated condition recognized by the medical community.”

Another contradiction from the establishment.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join