It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims Rioting in Belgium Over Arrest of Paris Terrorist [POSSIBLE PROPAGANDA]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Sremmos80

I was wrong.

But the part of it being believable in this day and age is a sign of the times.

Only the sign of the times that people will belive what they want. I have been guilty of it too but it doesn't show anything but that. There was people calling to kill people over a fake story. That is some signs to me.

Props for owning up to it, but you aren't really a poster to shy away from that.
edit on ndTue, 22 Mar 2016 00:50:32 -0500America/Chicago320163280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Fair enough.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

I don't consider false dichotomies to be worth commenting on. I was talking about the mindset I stated.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The importance of doing so is directly proportional to the sensationalist level of the claim.

This is incredibly good advice. I just fell into that trap yesterday with a thread I started about CA letting illegal votes. I got this nagging feeling it seemed far too outlandish so I went digging and felt like a doofus.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I hope Donald Trump's people read ATS. Stories like this lend additional credence to his belief that Muslim immigrants and visitors to the USA should be screened more thoroughly.

OK..so its now accepted that the story of a "riot" by Belgium Muslims who were angry over a terrorist being arrested, was a fabrication by somebody.

However, sometimes when you get a false fire alarm, it can make you be better prepared for the real thing. It prompts you to check your fire extinguisher, smoke detector batteries, etc..
-cwm

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Phage, do you really think I fall in that category, after having admitted I was wrong?

Yes, just because you admit you were wrong doesn't mean it wasn't what lead you to believe it in the first place. Just that you had the willingness to accept you were wrong about it.

What else made you believe it? Did you do any sort of fact checking before making your first post? Or did you just read it, think "hey of course that would happen" and then post.

Eta: like I said I am guilty of it too, so I don't mean this as a put down in anyway. We are all guilty of it at times.
edit on ndTue, 22 Mar 2016 00:57:09 -0500America/Chicago320160980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Certainly it was a knee jerk I'll accept on face value choice, and perhaps it is confirmation bias. I have friends I talk to daily in the Middle East (one atheist one Muslim) and of course I have lost friends in 07 due to the war so I have investment. I digress yes this is an example of me being wrong but I do not think I have "unfair judgement" in a general sense, I believe my self to be generally well rounded, as I feel the same about you and phage.
edit on 22-3-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So it was a hoax. If this was real as the article claims and suggests it would being nice of them to post videos of proof and evidence.

These kind of articles help Trump and NeoCons talking points.

edit on 22-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

While those 2 examples are certainly not the only mindset options available to be considered...
I don't think they are false I see plenty of both...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
A false dichotomy is about presenting two options and two options only. This entire situation has far more than two options but people reflexively accepting a sensationalist claim shows that confirmation bias can reduce all of those options to one. Without a thought.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I have my own preconceived bias at times, and emotion is a big factor in that. We disagree sure but ya I don't think you have unfair judgment. Just one that we don't always see eye to eye on and that is fine.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I never even commented on the OP because I was having such a hard time believing what was stated...
My first comment was about how I felt this was purely a distraction to allow individuals to move out of the area because of this diversion...
I could have giving you more options but I'm sure it would have made no difference...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Unless De Standaard and google translate are in on this "hoax", a Belgian official verifies the incident and was disturbed by the lack of media coverage.

Following the arrest of Salah Abdeslam , there were young people of immigrant origin in Molenbeek express their displeasure by pelting police with bottles and stones. " It is unfortunate that we did on national television at 19 pm not have seen." So said the Flemish Minister Geert Bourgeois ( N-VA) Monday in a speech to the Association for International Relations ( VIRA) in Brussels.

www.standaard.be...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I could have giving you more options but I'm sure it would have made no difference...

Right.
Because the mindset I was talking about was the one based on confirmation bias. Your "options" were purely a distraction.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Displeasure of not being allowed to get home, or displeasure because their hero was taken from them?
edit on 22-3-2016 by Indigent because: Ate a word, I'm pacman

edit on 22-3-2016 by Indigent because: Not knowing the word missile took a toll on me

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Phage
Actually, the article itself does not say there was a riot.

The article sources Belgian newspaper, La Libre, as indicating some kind of violence/resistance from the crowd (without link). I've looked through six stories on their website related to the raid and arrest, and can't find anything that says any such thing about the crowd throwing stuff, or riot police.

I did the same. There was definitely an incident with throwing bottles. DURING the raid. Which is not uncommon when police visit "No-Go" zones in europe. I don't see anything that indicates that they were rioting because of the arrest specifically or knew what who was being arrested. Or that it was large scale. Looks like hooliganism, not a riot to support terrorists.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I really thought you were eluding to something more controversial...
I should know better than to think you have an emotional investment on such matters...

edit on 22-3-2016 by 5StarOracle because: word

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

The hoax is on the part of the OP, not the event.

But I wonder, was the Minister there? How does he know what happened? Where are the videos he saw?

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I should know better than to think you have an emotional investment on such matters...

You mean that you would think that confirmation bias, based on emotion, is a valid approach?

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

If there was truth behind the OP itself I would have no problem taking a side...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join