It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of 1,400 More Americans Losing Their Jobs to Mexico- Sickening.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchangelUriel

A business owner has no more right to ask those questions, than I have to ask myself "Why shouldn't I murder the next person who offends me, or rob a bank? Why should I work for my money, or for respect, when there are so many faster ways to get what I want?"

I have no right to ask myself that question, and I certainly have no right to expect that an erroneous answer will be met with joy by the society of which I am a part. Nor do the people who would choose to break the law, exploit an immigrant, and devalue the labour of their fellow human beings by so doing. Being in business does not mean that a person may consider themselves above the concerns of a regular member of society, and regular members of society must think about how their actions affect their fellow members of that society, and behave always in a manner which, if it does not directly benefit that society, does no harm to it.

Business leaders are in a position of power in society, and they have a responsibility, not just to their shareholders, but to the society as a whole, to behave in a legal manner, and do no harm to society by their actions.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

They are behaving in a legal manner. Agreements like the TPP trade deal and others that have been signed by governments make it both legal and profitable for them. If they don't do what is necessary and change with the times, even if they don't want to, they will become obsolete and go out of business. Their choice is to go broke fighting the good fight or change to deal with the new reality.

Those are the only real choices and it is hardly a choice. Governments make the rules, people and companies operate the best they can within those rules. Sure these rules were lobbied by some of the larger companies but the people elected the government who passed them.

edit on 13-2-2016 by ArchangelUriel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

There is no choice. Either make it work where you are, or go broke with honour.

It is better to die penniless, than live without honour.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

People do not demand cheaper and cheaper products.

Yes they do.. It's called staying competitive and substitutes

They earn less and less

Not true.. That would be almost illegal to do

relative to the cost of living every year,

Not true .. GDP and average standard of living across the globe is constantly peaking upwards .. Thanks to import/export and foreign investment

so they have no choice about what they can afford.

Not true you always have a choice

If wages were kept pinned so that inflationary action on cost of living was always mitigated for by an automatic matching change in wages, then this nonsense would not be happening.

Inflation is never ever included in real GDP

I am trying to understand what you mean Make it work where you are

My reply is not to challenge your statement .. I am reading your posts and some others what I think I am seeing is different economic outlook but you are all talking about unethical conduct .. (Something like Disagree to Agree?)
edit on 13-2-2016 by palestine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

There is no choice. Either make it work where you are, or go broke with honour.

It is better to die penniless, than live without honour.

I don't understand that post I just go with a gut reply

There is a choice

Be part of self sustained community or be part of the global trade sociaty

Unfortunately both options counteract eachother
Hence no one is happy

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

1) This isn't an example of America losing more jobs (at the macro level), but rather a window into the continued transformation away from manufacturing jobs in the US to a more services-oriented nation.

I've heard this before. But I've never completely understood it. A few questions:

1. From an International Trade perspective what services would that be?

2. What services can the United States provide that can't be provided in foreign countries a lot cheaper?

3) What you SHOULD see when watching that video is the beginning of a new journey for those men and women, as they are skilled.

They're skilled at manufacturing. Since manufacturing in the US is dying, how do they apply their existing skill sets?

Perhaps as part of their severance the company should pay for their former employee's retraining. If the company paid them their regular salaries while they retrained in a new field, I could see this as the beginning of a new journey for them.

Otherwise I just see this as a swift kick in the groin for both these 2000 people and their community.

8) Ask yourself, do you want to see this country revert back to a manufacturing-based economy? If so, it will require a workforce MUCH less skilled and a population MUCH less wealthy.

I suppose that is the case now because of all of the outsourcing of those manufacturing jobs. To be globally competitive now, businesses have to pay basically slave wages.

However, in years past, people who worked in manufacturing were some of the most cash-flush folks that I knew. And they retired quite comfortably. Not to mention the fact that they are some of the most skilled people I ever knew in a variety of areas.

-dex

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: DexterRiley

Yeah, you mean this one?

He was so right.

The look on Bush snr's face at the 1:40 mark says it all. he could have burnt holes through perot with lazer eyes.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: palestine

You have ignored the fact that while the bold figure of dollars a person can earn in an hour has gone up, the real terms value of their wages has been stagnating for a considerable time, decades according to some researchers. This means that their purchasing power, relative to the hours they work and the amount of productivity they output during a working day, is less or no greater than it was during the eighties, while the cost of living has risen steadily since that time. Another thing that has risen enormously during that period, is the size of the gap between the lowest paid, and the highest paid in company structure.

Those things are not unrelated.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Like I said

Not challenging your position.. Was just seeking your clarification

I though that's what you thought

My only add on to what I said.. That was economy in theory .. sadly I didn't mention the V.I.P global lobby room

edit on 13-2-2016 by palestine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

What a friggin moron. Company policy to prevent a riot is to lay people off in small groups and walk them out, not make a spectacle of it.

"Please quiet down, this is important information."

"F*** YOU!".

"You're being sold out, sorry about that."

I know how they feel, its happened to me before. You worked so hard to fill company coffers for your pittance paycheck. You thought you had tenure, seniority, job security, then one day, they ask you to lay your head on the chopping block. Not because you didn't do your job or did something wrong, but because somebody n a foreign country is willing to work for less.

Upper management isn't willing to take less, neither are CEOs or board of directs and owners, Their "salary" and stock "options" won't skip a beat. Your life is upended, theirs remains unchanged.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

I had a friend who worked at a tool and die company. Years ago he said they would have molds made in China because it was cheaper to have them manufactured there and than repair the flaws when it was shipped back to the company. This country sacrifices it's worker's lively hoods and it's product quality for increased profits. This is the greed aspects of Capitalism. Our government is as much to blame for not taxing products made by overseas and Mexican cheap labor.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Just had to share my experience with products produced in Mexico. As a CAD instructor, I had to purchase computer chairs for my lab. I purchased a few chairs manufactured in Canada. The following year I purchased a few chairs manufactured in Mexico. After only 2 years, the chairs from Mexico started to break and fall apart. The chairs from Canada were still in good shape even after I retired from teaching 8 years later.

What it comes down to is companies that sacrifice quality for profit will never get repeat business. So in the long run, are they really benefiting from cheap labor?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
all companies that move out of the country to save money should have to pay import tariffs
imo

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: evenkeel

Raise their taxes and redistribute the wealth back to the people now being subsidized by the government.

If they don't pay imprison them.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Our whole country is being out sourced.

I call IT at work and end up in India.

Then there is Ireland. How many jobs have gone over there? www.theguardian.com... All because of cheaper taxes.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Bill made money from that...probably still is.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Perot was a genius......more than Trump could ever hope to be. Loved that guy. Straight shooter and I didn't care if he split the vote. The guy was spot on with some of his views. It's only taken us 20+ years to realize he was right. I wish there would have been a Perot/Paul (Ron) ticket back then.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

They are. The president even mentions talking about this with the worker's representation.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Perot was a genius......more than Trump could ever hope to be. Loved that guy. Straight shooter and I didn't care if he split the vote. The guy was spot on with some of his views. It's only taken us 20+ years to realize he was right. I wish there would have been a Perot/Paul (Ron) ticket back then.

I voted for him both times he ran.

I do not regret those votes. He was simply the best choice. Still would be IMO.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2

They are. The president even mentions talking about this with the worker's representation.

That would have been a really winning ticket Perot/Paul, a smart mix, they would have won Texas easy.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join