It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No

Not unless you count Luke and the Taunton..

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

We know what £anguage Hollywood $peaks.

That's a quote from an article I read that discusses gender and race differences in movies and their tickets sales.

Women actually make up the majority of movie goers at 52%. Blacks are increasingly going to movies where there are more black characters.

What Disney is doing is diversifying Star Wars to maximize profits and plan for the changing demographics of the US. Blacks and hispanics are growing at a much faster rate than whites. Disney understands this fact and are playing the long game in branding the Star Wars franchise for current/future minority populations.

As far as it being feminist propaganda; I'd say they are portraying the lead character as a reflection of how women want to be viewed in their societal role when being compared to men. It doesn't matter that it is unrealistic in real life where women are the physically weaker sex. Because when it comes to movies, they are half the profits.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Ha ha ha ha!

Did you think the new Mad Max movie was also feminist propaganda?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
To be fair Ren had just been shot by a bowcaster and slashed with a lightsaber. He also didn't totally want to kill her because he was trying to get her to join him.

It's not a feminist propaganda movie at all, just like it's not anti white cuz they had a black guy in it.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

So?

She is a very resourceful orphan and you have no idea how she came about her experience. You can't really know where Chewbacca went to school either

Besides - the force is strong with this one :-)

You seem to want to take all of this rather seriously. Reading through your posts it's almost as if you're jealous of: The female protagonist

(you can't even say her name - once?)

Her name is Rey

You seem to have a problem with strong women. And fiction

edit on 1/2/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Sometimes I can't believe this is called a conspiracy forum. Disney is probably the most notorious Hollywood studio when it comes to subliminal messages. Do I need to prove that? I have studied this issue in some detail. You can go back to Walt Disney's first film, Alice's Wonderland (1923) and go forward and make a lifetime study of the subliminal messages in Disney productions.

Here's what George Lucas said about selling Star Wars to Disney (starting at 1:45 in the video below):

George Lucas: These are my kids.

Charles Rose: All the "Star Wars" films.

George Lucas: All the "Star Wars" films.

Charles Rose: They were your kids?

George Lucas: Yeah, well they are. You know, I loved them. I created them. I'm very intimately involved in them. And, obviously to sell them off to...

Charles Rose: You sold them.

George Lucas: I sold them to the white slavers that take these things and, and uh (laughs)

What does everyone here think Lucas is alluding to? "What slavers"? Even speaking metaphorically, how much worse can it get? I sense regret in his voice.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

originally posted by: nullafides

You, uh...apparently don't get the idea that Rae is the new cool jedi kid on the block that is the latest to get ALL the power....

Piloting...resisting mind tricks...uncanny mechanic skills....all traits of strong jedi.

Wow, do you see feminist agenda in the clouds?

How could almost everyone in this thread forget how hard it was for Luke to become proficient as a Jedi (see the video below)?

Anakin began his Jedi training when he was a child (at the age of 9 years old, see the link below). In Episode 1, Anakin did show some abilities related to the force but he had little or no conscious control over them.

When Episode 2 begins Anakin is 19 years old. So, he had had about 10 years of Jedi training before he had achieved the mastery of the force we see from him in that film. The original trilogy and the prequels are consistent on this point, both Luke and Anakin had little or no conscious control over their force abilities until after they received proper training.

The facts above are consistent with what we hear from all the experienced Jedi in all six films, training is a requirement to become proficient in the ways of the force. It could be that Disney just decided to change all the rules that Lucas had established. I'm not saying that the theory I proposed in the original post is absolutely right.

But, it's as if most of the posters in this thread never saw the first six films.

Anakin's age

www.youtube.com...

If you recall in Episode I, Yoda deemed Anakin to old to train. Usually force sensitive younglings start their training at a very early age. Yet, Obi-Wan took him as his padawan despite Yoda's objections.
We have no idea where Rey is from, what happened to her in all those years before. She could have been training under Luke when Ben Solo decided to turn and destroyed the new Jedi Order. Just like Anakin did when he killed all the younglings in Episode III.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

That is not an appropriate response.

I disagree

I would have gone farther - but T&Cs and all that...

I am so sick of this constant harping about women getting special treatment - the implication being that she is only a hero because: feminists

If he's (I am assuming he) going to put it out there - it's fair game

The insult is embedded in the OP - she went after the ball. Clearly

edit on 1/2/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Don't sweat it, op..
..just let ya wife carry you over the thresh-hold & have her way with you, lay back & think of tatooine

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Any regret on his part should be towards the prequels....

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

link   

link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Anakin, Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine... all Jedi and Sith, things came easy for all of them. Amazingly good at anything. Smart, charismatic, piloting, politics, physical combat, ranged combat, surviving in extreme environments with nothing, unnatural intuition. What do they all have in common? A strong connection to the Force, why should Rey be any different?

It's an epic fantasy realm where anyone, children, male, female, 2 foot tall aliens and gigantic aliens can be equal in connection to a mysterious force that gives them unlimited powers.

This blogger is a massive idiot. Can't say what that makes anyone who takes his/her (equality you know) bait.

Yes. I really liked the return to the original movies (prequels). Lots of mirroring going on. I didn't enjoy the sequels so much. I think a fine job was done on TFA. It had the look and feel of the 4,5,6. Loved the last scene, where there is no dialogue. Just like the end of Star Wars: A new Hope. It feels a little awkward watching the end of TFA, just like the end of ANH.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Do I have your attention now?

That will be enough of that, thank you very much. Get the thread back on topic, STAY on topic, and quit going after each other, with snide insults, or remarks. The next step WILL be posting bans.

Understood? Good.

Do not reply to this post.
edit on 1/2/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/2/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join