It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
1. The female protagonist is a naturally great pilot. With no training or experience she's as good as anyone we've seen at piloting the Millennium Falcon.

2. The female protagonist has more powerful mind tricks than anyone else in the movie (possibly in the history of Star Wars), with no training or experience

3. The female protagonist can naturally resist the mind tricks of a Sith Lord, with no training or experience

4. The female protagonist can hold her own in a lightsaber battle with a Sith Lord, with no training or experience

5. The female protagonist is naturally awesome with a laser blaster, with no training or experience

6. The female protagonist is naturally brilliant at everything and she has no weaknesses

7. The female protagonist doesn't need anybody's help, she's better than everyone else at everything anyway

What a load of garbage.

Listen, I despise modern feminism. Originally, when it was actually serving a purpose and actually fighting for women's rights, not just for loud, annoying individuals to bully their way into the spotlight, feminism was a good thing. This, however, is not some 'feminist propaganda' in any sense.

You haven't listed a single thing that show that this main protagonist is 'the perfect feminist empowering figure'.

What you have done is list plot-holes (which will likely be answered in successive films) and just stereotypical Hollywood writing. Switch the words "The female protagonist" with "The Male protagonist" and your issues still exist.

They only exist more - and were likely only noticeable to you - because you're sexist.

This poor excuse for an rant is just as unsubstantiated as the racist people who were complaining that Fin is a protagonist, and is Black.

Do you consider every movie with a strong female role to be just as poor? You must have hated the Alien franchise.

Your rant is ridiculous.

edit on 2/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I believe in the first movie "4" they said Luke was a great pilot several times so we knew he could fly.

I don't think we can excuse the movie because of the books either. The majority of people watching have not read the books.

As far as the sword fighting goes, I'll take the guy that's been in training over the one that's never picked up a lightsaber. The people in the new deathstar where obviously afraid of him.

But as you said, "it's space wizards!" Lol
To true.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
a reply to: Profusion

Anakin in Ep1 was a small child yet piloted a starfighter into space, built an android, and a pod-racer which he raced in a Derby and won!..

Luke was an accomplished T-16 pilot (could bulls-eye womp rats) and destroyed the DeathStar in his first flight in an X -wing....

Have you actually seen any of these movies?

Don't take it from me. Take it from a Jedi directly.

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: [to Luke] You must learn the ways of the Force, if you're to come with me to Alderaan.
www.imdb.com...

In Episode 4, Obi-Wan clearly states that Luke had no knowledge of the force up to the moment of the above quote. Furthermore, Luke had to "learn the ways of the Force." In other words, before proper training, Luke wouldn't be ready to accomplish what he needed to. That would be true for Anakin and any other Jedi as well (in the Lucas version of Star Wars).

Was Anakin consciously using the force when he destroyed the spaceship in Episode 1? Obviously not. I tried to find video of that scene but I couldn't. If you remember he was not consciously controlling the ship at that time.

What happened when Luke destroyed the Death Star in Episode 4? Was he using the force consciously in that scene? This quote tells us he wasn't up until possibly the very end when he hits the target:

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: Use the Force, Luke. Let go. Luke, trust me.

www.youtube.com...

I believe that after that suggestion by Obi-Wan, Luke did tune into his force abilities for a moment. But, it's ambiguous. Why did Obi-Wan say "trust me"? Was it Obi-Wan working through Luke? The fact that Obi-Wan says "Let go" implies to me that Luke was clearly not in conscious control of his ability to use the force at all.

IMHO, Luke didn't have conscious control over his force abilities until after his training with Yoda. The following quote proves that to me:

Yoda - You must unlearn what you have learned.

www.youtube.com...

How much clearer can it be? Yoda is telling Luke that he had to start from scratch. Then the rest of the training scenes demonstrate that Luke didn't have conscious control of his force abilities until after a good deal of training.

As to the other examples you gave, just recall the quote below:

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: [to Luke] You must learn the ways of the Force, if you're to come with me to Alderaan.
www.imdb.com...

In the Lucas version of Star Wars, someone doesn't "learn the ways of the Force" until after getting proper training.
edit on 2-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: crazyewok

I believe in the first movie "4" they said Luke was a great pilot several times so we knew he could fly.

I don't think we can excuse the movie because of the books either. The majority of people watching have not read the books.

As far as the sword fighting goes, I'll take the guy that's been in training over the one that's never picked up a lightsaber. The people in the new deathstar where obviously afraid of him.

But as you said, "it's space wizards!" Lol
To true.

In the movie, the lightsaber was 'calling to her', so I think there is some bond with the weapon before she picks it up.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

You must have hated the Alien franchise.

Ripley has never received such a response, maybe it's a sign of the times but she was a BAMF that often made the men around her look weak and incompetent.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think she is relatively overpowered as a character, mainly due to her ability to use the force and a lightsaber without any training in either. Luke and Anakin were both trained before they could wield a lightsaber or adequately use the force, and i don't think some suppressed memory excuse for Rey will cut it. I don't even think the argument about her proficiency in the staff being the reason she could defeat Kylo Ren, who has professional training, is acceptable. I will reserve final judgement until we see why she is so powerful, but i'm not too confident thus far.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
a reply to: Ghost147often made the men around her look weak and incompetent.

And Rey doesn't do this?
edit on 2/1/16 by Ghost147 because: typo

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

You're confusing being force sensitive with being a jedi, training was indeed required inorder to become a jedi, but their sensitivity with the force wouldn't start with that training.

Rey was force sensitive in ep7 but not a trained jedi. Yet she was able to use the force, like her father before her and his father before him.

It was her destiny...
edit on 2-1-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I think she is relatively overpowered as a character, mainly due to her ability to use the force and a lightsaber without any training in either. Luke and Anakin were both trained before they could wield a lightsaber or adequately use the force, and i don't think some suppressed memory excuse for Rey will cut it. I don't even think the argument about her proficiency in the staff being the reason she could defeat Kylo Ren, who has professional training, is acceptable. I will reserve final judgement until we see why she is so powerful, but i'm not too confident thus far.

Kylo Ren's background is convoluted. He may have been holding back in the fight. He might know he is her cousin, she may have been at Luke's training school with him. That is the going theory. Kylo Ren was sent to Luke's training school. He may or may not have been the student that killed the other students. Rey may or may not have been there, Kylo ren may have hidden her when he left. Also, one of the main theories is that Kylo Ren decided to destroy the 1st order from the inside. That he decided killing his father (Han) was the only way to prove himself and move forward in that regard.

*hiding children away on desert planets is NOT a new thing in this story.
edit on 2-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

You are 100% on target dispite the naysayers in this thread.

The illuminati has limitless money to pay producers to accept ANY agenda...especially gay and feminist Nazism.

You are intelligent person in this thread!
S&Fs!

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Anyway, I need to get back to the kitchen so my wife can show me how to lay down vinyl flooring properly.

Enjoy living a life believing women should be the weaker gender

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Sure, as any hero of either sex doesto those around them...my point was that for some reason Ripley never attracts/has attracted such claims of feminist propaganda despite being a BAMF

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join