It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students get kicked out of class for not praying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

??? even if we were ranked the top country for education....
little children should not be pressured into praying to any religion's god, period!!
and I am pretty sure that if it was a non-christian god that the children were being coerced into praying to the christian community would be up in arms about it!
there is no freedom of religion as long as people are forced to pray to god!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Reallyfolks

??? even if we were ranked the top country for education....
little children should not be pressured into praying to any religion's god, period!!
and I am pretty sure that if it was a non-christian god that the children were being coerced into praying to the christian community would be up in arms about it!
there is no freedom of religion as long as people are forced to pray to god!!!

Again don't care. This social experiment in the schools no matter what crap concept is being pushed needs to take a back burner. Religion, social justice, etc. Worry about educating children like the schools should be doing and taxpayers pay to get done and leave the rest of the garbage alone. My opinion. Doesn't matter what the topic is, if it's not helping these kids get prepared with a solid educational foundation flush it with the rest of the waste.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
maybe non-Christians should be glad that there is no lake dipping, stockade lock-ups, or witch-burnings being done today by the religious right.....

Yeah, for now...
But if they had their way, they'd still be tolerating the life out if us, in jesus name, amen...
edit on 12-10-2015 by VictorBloodworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

They should all be forced to pray to the Great Old One, Cthulhu.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
People don't believe me when I tell them how Christians are in the south (Georgia).

In fact, I have basically been called a liar for discussing the rabid Christian attitudes toward the holiday fast approaching this month.

I'm not surprised at all here.

I hope they sue the pants off 'em.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
People don't believe me when I tell them how Christians are in the south (Georgia).

In fact, I have basically been called a liar for discussing the rabid Christian attitudes toward the holiday fast approaching this month.

I'm not surprised at all here.

I hope they sue the pants off 'em.

My company in Gardena, CA was bought by Sara Lee.

They flew in a whole crew from Peachtree and surrounding area.

I believe you.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

If you do not go to church there, then you become an outcast. Many businesses won't even hire someone if they do not go to church....

I find that mentality just insane and void of any logic.

Its a weird, wild, and wacky world. There are no morals and ethics anymore. Finding out who to trust, who to put your confidence in, who to accept into your fold, how to keep your employees safe, how not to have a mad disgruntled gunman run around and wreck havoc in the workplace, how to believe your new hire will do what he says he will do, all these things, are just a lot easier, when you know what they believe.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Are you saying people who don't believe in gods are not to be trusted?
Because if you are, I'd like to point out how incredibly frigging stupid that statement is, and you by association.
If that's not what you are saying, then what are you saying?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Yeah, it became very disturbing for me whenever I heard the "let's bow our heads in prayer." Not necessarily at government functions (though sometimes) but in what should have been secular functions. It bothered me more when I was trying to take the Bible seriously and decided that Jesus clearly and repeatedly criticized public prayer.

But what is interesting is when you stop bowing your head and closing your eyes and start looking around and see how many people aren't really into it. It forces folks to go along with a religious ceremony they are uncomfortable participating in which is really empty religious posturing. But people are afraid to say anything because it can cause you a lot of problems.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

for some reason, I don't think that the safety of their employees is one of the primary reason for this, although I don't believe that all the reasons that an employer would chose to hire a christian over a non-christian are really that bad either.
For instance, I know for a fact that many times when when a member of a church, or even a newcomer to them is down and out and needs employment, someone in the congregation will go out of their way to find a place for them in their business. Is that really a bad thing? I don't think so.

of course, if you consider the christian community as being a family, keeping the money that is flowing from the hands of that family within the family as much as possible, it seems would enable that family to over time gain more wealth and therefore more power.

While I see the first reason I have given as being kind of more like christian charity and have experience it first hand. I do believe that those within that christian community who have been proven to be trustworthy and willing to keep that wealth within the family are often rewarded with better opportunities, raises, and promotions as a tactic of increasing the power and influence of a small group within the church of which, this power and influence really isn't used for much that is really that "christian", at least not by my standards.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorBloodworth

Are you saying people who don't believe in gods are not to be trusted?

It is so hard to understand what I actually said?

It is easier to accept someone who you "know" believes what you believe, than someone whose belief is "unknown" to you.

Is that clear?

That again, is one of the problems, isn't it? The ability to communicate with the potential hire. To be sure he understands the words you speak, and not goes off thinking you just said something else.

For all those reasons, people prefer those with "common values".

It's really about communication. How to communicate with someone, who is thinking in a foreign language.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

The inference that only Christians or church members help each other out, and are therefore more virtuous, is nonsense.
I have zero religious friends, and in fact many are even more hostile to the idea than I am, but they have helped me and I them in the past, and will again.
I routinely help people I don't know if it comes up, (I.e. changing tires for women, helping older people up.and down stairs, etc., etc...), and guess what?
My non belief never comes into play.
Know why?
Because morals and kindness are default human nature unless you are conditioned to act otherwise.
Or mental illness skews your thought process.
No god necessary.
If you are christian and you discriminate, guess what?
You ain't no Christian, you're just another douche bag.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

OK, so that is what you are saying.
If you believe in God, I should too, otherwise I'm not LIKE you..
And in kind, since I don't believe in God, I shouldn't hire you because you aren't.like me.
Except that it's illegal when I do it, and your right under freedom of religion if you do it.
And you are right, I don't understand that line of thinking.
And I don't want to.
Because it's STUPID.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

It is so hard to understand what I actually said?

I have to agree with you on that point.

edit on 12-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorBloodworth
An incidentily, I've hired christians before.
Some were OK, others were mentally unstable...but that pretty much describes everyone in my industry.
I even catered one of their weddings as a favour to him because he was on a tight budget.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorBloodworth
OK, so that is what you are saying.
If you believe in God, I should too, otherwise I'm not LIKE you..

No. You don't have to believe in anything. I just have to believe I can trust you. Everyone who applies for a job, has to give "references" for a reason. It is just that if you are a member of my Church, that itself is a "reference".

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

except if you are an employer and you go into an interview it's kind of illegal I believe to even raise up any questions to help you determine weather the person you are talking to is christian or not. heck you could just go and hire only people who were wearing crosses, but got to tell you, that isn't even a sure thing. I wore my dad's cross for a long time, not because I was christian, but because it linked me to my father who had passed away when I was young.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Here's a novel idea...instead of worrying about their value system and whether it's common with yours, how about hiring someone or befriending them, or even just minding your own business based on that persons ability?
I know that's a tough one for most religious people because they are judgemental bigots if not in deed but in thought, but hell, give it a try...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Because everyone in your church is trustworthy, hard workers with no personal problems...
Yeah, right.
Read my resume.
If I have twenty years experience, and have never been fired, that trumps your church reference.
Like my old man used to say:
"You want to find the biggest drunks, gamblers, and adulterers in town, they meet every Sunday at that funny looking building with the phallic tower out front.."
Wise man.

edit on 12-10-2015 by VictorBloodworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorBloodworth
I'm not inferring that only christians help each other out. but I am saying that they will do all they can to provide someone in their church a job if they know they are unemployed. and that might be ONE of the reason in southern small towns it's difficult for outsiders to find employment. I've watch this occur in the church I attended, heck one guy owned a roofing company and I think all his employees were members of the church that had fallen into hard times. It wasn't that he found himself not trusting someone outside of the church, he just never had to look outside of the church for help. this was during the reagan years, and well, there was an abundance of unemployed at the time.

if you had a job open and had a family member or good friend that you knew could handle the job and really needed it, would you bother to even post the job in the paper?

but I also think that the second part of my post is also true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join